KEF Reference 1 Floorstanding Speakers

3.86/5 (21 Reviews) MSRP : $2100.00

Submitted by mario franco a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2011

Bottom Line:

Honest and smooth, does not resist big orchestras.

Good speaker, maybe new models are better.

Mario Franco

Submitted by sporty a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2009

Bottom Line:
LES KEF REFERENCE ONE ONT UNE BELLE IMAGE ET C`EST TOUT. LA MUSIQUE QU`ELLES RESTITUES EST
SANS VIE. LES BASSES SEMBLENT VENIR D`OUTRE- TOMBE ET LES AIGUES SONNENT LE PLASTIQUE .
JE LES AI REMPLACÉS SANS REGRET PAR DES EMINENT TECHNOLOGY LFT8 .

Submitted by Ron a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
I had read a great review about the Kef Q series, so I went to Harvey in Manhattan to take a look. I had a helpful salesperson that told me to forget the Q's and step up to the Reference One. I'm really glad I did! I love these speakers. I never fail to marvel at how good they sound every time I listen to them. I since added the TDM-45B subwoofer, and it is really the icing on the cake. It does not make for good neighbor relations, particularly when you live in a highrise apartment. I get noise complaints sometimes from two floors away.
Oh well...

Submitted by Daninthemix a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
I also would have to disagree with the comments about these speakers' bass response. Of course these things are relative to the size of your listening room (mine is rather small), but I found when I upgraded my amplification to a high-end Marantz model, the speakers seemed to gain another octave of depth! I now get similar depth to that of my Rel subwoofer (although without the headroom). The thing about the Kef Reference range is the impedance drops rather dramatically around the mid-bass region, so if your amp isn't able to deliver the necessary current, you're going to lose out in the bass response.

Besides the rich, full-bodied bass, the detail in the upper frequencies is excellent. When partnered with suitably able equipment, vocals do seem to leap out, and acoustic guitars and strings in particular seem very natural, and finely textured.

Perhaps these were expensive speakers when they were first released, but now you cna pick them up second hand for as little as £600, and for that price they really are a steal.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Chuck Macak a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
These are one of my favorite speakers. I cant believe the imaging and detail these produce for the money. I would have to disagree with everyones negative review of bass responce. I was originally powering these with a 75 watt a channel receiver and they sounded pretty good, but did lack bass. I then upgraded to seperates and added a Adcom 5500 200x2 Amp. Holy Cow! these speakers opened up after that. The bass came alive. These things shake my whole house while using them for Theatre playback. Everytime I have someone over to watch a movie they ask me what kind of sub I have. I tell them none and they cant believe it.

Being a recording engineer I am subjected to all kinds of speakers. I mix down on Tannoy NFSM 8's which use the uniQ style speaker placement. I wish the KEF's where smaller so I could tote them around to mix on.

If you can audition a pair please do yourself a favor and listen to them with a lot of power behind them.

Purchased At:   United Audio Center

StudioLab Reference 1 Speakers

Does anyone know anything about and have an opinion on these speakers. We were in the Studio Lab factory/store today and had a good listen to these and really liked them. We're in the market for a nice set of towers and don't want to spend more than, say, $1500 Canadian after tax. These were aesthet ... Read More »

DCCA Audio The EXTREME PowerWave REF-1 reference power cord

DCCA Audio offers The EXTREME PowerWave REF-1 reference power cord. A very detailed and natural sounding power cord. This PC was designed to compete with the finest audio products on the market. For more information please contact Don at [email]virgo3ref@aol.com[/email].Read More »