KEF Q80 Floorstanding Speakers

4.43/5 (7 Reviews)

Submitted by rich a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2014

Bottom Line:
My Q80's were bought 1993 andapart from self inflicted damage to the tweeters they have been and still are fantastic units. Still running a NAD 216 THX power amp and NAD Monitor 1000 pre amp. Stunning separation from the uni q drivers and tight response generally from most genres of music. Have stood years of fairly heavy use and show no signs of dying anytime soon.Cheers to KEF!

Submitted by Helder a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2010

Bottom Line:
I bougt KEF Q80 Speakers in 1990 and they are working fine after 10 years of heavy usage with various kinds of amplifiers. Even generations of cats crawling on the speakers and grabing the grills. I experiment this speakers with home made amplifiers to power amplifiers. Even with old mono block marantz amplifiers and a Denon POA2800 power amplifier. The sound of this speakers plays well with any kind of sound and music. They some how lack of mid range sound and needs a powerful amplifire to drive them well. Now they are working with my home theatre system Yamaha RX-V1400RDS very well. I have a friend who bought this speakers too and one of them have had a malfunction years ago. Mine fortunatly never had any kind of malfunction. Maybe more 10 years and still kicking.

Submitted by Gene Gallegos a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 29, 2008

Bottom Line:
I.ve had these speaker system for 16 years already. I tell you guys, I love these speakers. Sounds really really good. Bass is excellent, mid is descent & hi is fantastic. Hooked it up side by side with my Klipsch SB 3. A no no match. Driving thse speakers is Hafler XL 280 power amp and controlled by Mac Intosh C26 pre-amp. Specially when you're into jazz music, boy, you'll forget your name. For the money these are one great spaeker system.

Purchased At:   Rogersound Labs

Submitted by Scott Wichall a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
I Purchased these speakers to go with my Original Home Cinema setup. Unfortunately, the Sony amp was not powerful enough, so I moved to a Harmon Kardan AVR30, which has given me 6 years of pro-logic bliss with these speakers. I have now moved onto Dolby Digital, and the sound these speakers produce on a high end Yamaha amp in DTS mode has to be heard to be believed.
Build quality of these speakers is excellent, and reliability has not been an issue.
Would make an excellent second hand bargain.

Submitted by idle Hsieh a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
For several months ago, I adjust this speaker again.
My amp was changed into sphinx myth 5 so that bass of Q80 was became excellent. Springiness and plentiful.
And when I used new source that PS audio Ultralink II to connect it, Q80 have perfect intermediate and noble sound.
Anyaway, shortcomings of it have not graceful high freguency.
Now my equipment is list:
amp: sphinx myth 5