KEF Q7 Floorstanding Speakers

4.4/5 (10 Reviews)

The 165mm (6 1/2") UNI-Q mid/HF driver array incorporates KEF''s sophisticated new 19mm (3/4") metal dome tweeter (Ferrofluid-cooled for improved power handling), so midrange is silken and vocals outstandingly pure. With the diaphragm area of a conventional 200mm (8") cone, KEF''s unique B169 ''racetrack'' format LF driver delivers terrific bass for such a slim cabinet. Computer-designed crossovers optimise sound quality, and KEF''s internal bracing eliminates the box resonances that often affect tall full size speakers.

Submitted by matty8 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2010

Bottom Line:
expect to be amazed,, eventually
i have owned many speakers in my time and a few things have become apparent to me, the first is that the best speakers in the world will sound bad if they are fed with bad signals from anywhere else in the system, fact! all speakers take ages to run in to there max potential, fact. ! all speakers have a place where they will sound best in the listening environment, fact !
i bought the kef q7 speakers in a sale for less than half price with only a quick demo, it has taken two years, yes two,, for them to run in,and thats listening for about 3 hours a day. during that time i have been faced with bright spells of shrieking treble all the way to being swamped with kidney shifting bass , but now i have a pair of speakers that connect me with the music in a way that i have seldom been privy to, i dont know why kef (and a few other manufacturers such as usher) speakers take so long to fully come on song but they do and it has been true of all 3 pairs of kefs i have owned so be patient and after the run in period is over you can start to consider placement, i found that in any room the q7's dont like symmetry, for some reason the bass disappears when the are set up symmetrically in the room, they absolutely love valves and vinyl too. lots of people have bought these speakers and been disappointed and sell them off very cheap so if you are looking for good second hand speakers that are truly revealing and the rest of your system is well balanced you simply cant go wrong (once they are run in and in the right position) great with all types of music and movies but truly exeptional with well recorded jazz, great frequency extension too. you can pick them up for less than £200 in mint condition.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by projectionscience a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2010

Bottom Line:
I bought these Q7 towers on Craigslist for a terrific price ($350 for the pair). I had previously owned Def Tech BP2004tl and bp2002tls. The Def Techs were phenomenal for home theater, but I never felt that their midrange or imaging was up to par for music. I also work for a Focal dealer, so I listen to focal Chorus 836's every day. The Focal's have awesome imaging, and a very wide sound stage.., and I will eventually buy a pair of them. Until that day, the Q7s are a great compromise. They don't have the overall realism or cabinet build quality of the Focals... but they are pretty close. The imaging is actually pretty good, and the bass response for home theater is respectable. I run them with a Mirage Omni S10 sub, and they sound more than adequate. Female vocals are well produced with them as well. The store I work for also carries Klipsch, Mirage, and Def Tech as well. The Kef Q7's smoke the Kilipsch's and Mirages, for imaging.... and can be picked up much cheaper. If you can afford Focals, get them. If not, the Kef Q7's are a close second.... and are currently a smoking bargain at $300-$650 per pair on Ebay now. These are a fantastic option for those on a budget, looking for a speaker that can realistically image and reproduce music.

Submitted by marsh34 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2004

Bottom Line:
Amazing!! I bought these without any test drive. Very, Very, pleased. Chose these on word of mouth and reviews. You will not be disappointed if you need great speakers for music of surround.

Purchased At:   Hippos Audio

Submitted by daveash a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2004

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a pair of speakers for my family room for music listening. I already have a full Dolby Digital 6.1 system with a 56" wide screen in my basement for movies. That system has the Definitive Technology BP2006's (approximate same price range). I am very happy with the Deftech's for movie purposes (built in sub rocks).

The Kef's have better imaging and a wider soundstage for music. They sound more accurate, especially in the mid range. You can actually see the instrument placement on the stage. In summary they sound very good for music.

In the store, the bass seemed deeper. I even bought two of the CD's the salesman played (Rikki Lee Jones song is Dat Dere, and Stevie Ray Vaughn song was Tin Pan Alley), but I don't quite get the same sound. It could be room acoustics or an inferior receiver. I have an old powerful sub (M&K) that really helps with the lows, and occasionally I shut it off to hear the difference and it is dramatic, so unlike most other reviewers, I think a sub is a must.

When I listen to female vocals, Celine Dion, Whitney Houston, Diana Krall, it seems they are in the room with you. Very natural and life like. With Steely Dan, or Jazz music, the instruments are all present and accounted for. With Eric Clapton's Unplugged or music DVD's, you feel like you are in the concert hall.

I also listened to the Paradigm 9's, with a PSW-10 sub, and the Studio series, and some Boston Acoustics, but in the end, the KEF's sounded better to me.

If the $1,000 - $1,200 range is as far as you can stretch and want to watch movies, you should also check out the Def Tech's because you won't need the extra expense for the sub. But if you think you could stretch your budget for the sub or don't mind spending a little extra in the future, the KEF's won't disappoint.

One last point, I bought from an authorized dealer, Glen at Park Avenue Audio is very knowledgable and patient. They will ship. They gave me a 10% discount off of MSRP. You could find a little cheaper on the web, but I didn't want to take a chance that I was getting a refurbished item. My last set of speakers lasted 20 years and I expect these speakers to last even longer (I'm not a college kid cranking hard rock on a daily basis anymore).

Purchased At:   Park Ave Audio Video

Submitted by a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2004

Bottom Line:
I purchased the Q-7s in October of 2002 after trying out several different brands. I wanted a pair of tower speakers for home audio and home theater that cost under $1000. After intially wanting Paradigm Monitor 11s, I was immediatly struck by the Q-7s when I auditioned them in a specialty audio store. The soundstage is wide and transparent, and the imaging is first class--truly superb. Bass is very tight, mids are warm, and the highs are crystaline without being harsh. (The highs in the Paradigms were too harsh for me.) Every time I listen to these speakers I am impressed and completely satisfied. I can't imagine better sounding speakers for the price. When I first auditioned them for my wife she too was blown away. She said something to the effect of, "Are only two speakers on?" The sound of these speakers seems to envelop you. Try these speakers out with well-recorded material it will sound as if you are in the studio. With DVD-Audio and SACD they are truly exceptional.

Movie playback is also top notch. Certain scenes will shake the couch without a sub, although I wouldn't say that these speakers couldn't be helped by a good sub. ALthough this review is only for the Q-7s, I have the Q-9 center channel and the Q-8s surrounds. While the Q-7s are the stars of the group, the Q series is excellent for home theater. Once I finally got all matching speakers, the sound was noticably improved.

The build quality seems excellent. The veneer (I got black) is adaquate for the price range, but not exceptional. The front speaker grills also seem somewhat fragile, but these are very small quibbles. If it were up to me anyway, I would leave the grills off. The look of the metallic drivers is very impressive.

In summary, I would recomend these speakers to anyone who is looking for a high-quality, medium priced pair of stereo speakers or for a pair to main speakers in a home theater context. I cannot express enough how pleased I am with how well these speakers perform with music. If you are a serious music lover, these speakers are for you.

Purchased At:   Online

Max sound quality Avr7300 and Kef Q7. Help.

I have a Harman Kardon AVR7300 and Kef Q7 speakers. I understand it is possible to split the audio signal for better sound definition. Do I do this through the 8-channel direct inputs? If so, can someone guide me through this connection? Thanks, KarenRead More »

Auditioned KEF Q7

I audioned KEF Q7 last week-end at Woodbridge Stereo in Woodbridge, NJ. Actually I went in to look(or hear) the Q5s, but it was not on floor for the demo. So I ended up checking Q7s out. Can't remember the receiver they were connected to, but it was a bi-polar connection. The CD player was Denon and ... Read More »

Axiom M80Ti vs KEF Q7

I listened to some KEF Q Series 7's and the sound was not bad for $1200. I read that the Axiom's M80Ti's are getting some great reviews. Anyone have some good advise for me for I am about to purchase a pair of ...???? HELP!!! I also am looking at the Rotel 200 watt amp (RB-1080) and the $500 Rotel ... Read More »