KEF Q65 Floorstanding Speakers

4.56/5 (27 Reviews) MSRP : $1200.00

Reflex 6x9 in woofer, 6.5 in mid, 0.75 in tweeter

Submitted by audiogod a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
Once I heard these speakers for the first time, I fell in love with them. They have this very smooth midrange, and the imaging of them is pinpoint accurate. I upgraded the internal wiring woth Nordost cinemaflex 14/4 wire with silver solder to the crossovers. I found that it made everything sound even smoother, and I got more bass extension from the speaker. I highly recommend this upgrade to anyone who owns these speakers. I also use the same wire on the outside of the cabinets in biwire form.

Purchased At:   Commercial Electroni

Submitted by biggarthomas a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
During my two years of research for new speakers I read so many horror stories written by disappointed users that I just got more & more wary about the promises of loudspeaker makers. That is, until I heard the KEF Q65.2. It was love at first audition. However. the speakers that I listened to had been broken in. When I bought mine, my partner was hard pressed to detect the difference between these speakers and our old low-end PSB bookshelves that we'd had for about 13 years. Not any more though. I've had these speakers for two months and they sound better with evry passing day. I probably will not by another set of speakers for my stereo system. I use Energy speakers for my surround sound attached to my Tv but for me nothing can beat stereo when litening to classical, jazz & blues. It's true what they say about tese speakers. There are whole instruments that I hear with them that I were previously gobbled whole by the PSBs. I also bi-amped the KEFs to two Quad 303's and I'm using Kimber Kable 8PR. If you like the "British Sound" buy these speakers. These speakers also have fabulous bass which is a series of "notes" not just a loud rummble.

Purchased At:   SoundSeller

Submitted by Peter Saunders a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought the K65s to replace my old MS10s. Obviously they are different speakers, size dynamics, cost. But I was ready for something with a bit more bite. I auditioned seven pairs of various makes in the £ 600-800 range $ 640-960. Most sounded OK until we tried them bi-amp and bi-wired, for any enthusiasts out there this is the only way to fly and they flew. The low end was more defined and pronounced. The hi end was crisp and sweet, and the mid sat square in the middle.
I could not believe the difference. From then on no other floor standing speaker in its price range and even a fare bit higher. Sold
I bought these babies home plugged them in and was sorely disappointed what was wrong why did they sound so bad at home .Ahhhh the running in the bi-amping so I also purchased two Rotel Amps.
After about four months they started to sing sweet and low. Since then I’ve heard some good Hi-fi,s but as yet I still haven’t found the edge you have with the K65s.
I would not change them for world or a set of £ 2000 floor standers.

System

Pre-amp Rotel Stereo Control amplifier RC 971
Amp,s 2 x Rotel RB 971 Mk II
CD Parasound C/d 1000
DVD Daywoo DVG 6000D

Purchased At:   Musical Image

Submitted by kristine harstad a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
pesce off junck were is the bassssssssssss?
im selling this junk
cant use it in a home theatre!!!!!!!
no sub can fix it crapiest speakers ever

Purchased At:   local dealer

Submitted by RoddNET a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
WOW!! again WOW!!
I never knew I was missing so much of the music I was listening to.
The Q65.2 speakers bring so much clarity and definition to the music.
It is true that they need time to break in. Mine are just about there now.
They just keep getting better and better the more they are used. I have
them working with a Q95.c and Q85's for a home theatre setup.
I have had only one minor problem with them and the online store took care of it immediately.
I felt like there was a vibration noise coming fromthe tweeter assembly and they replaced it within 48hrs.
the yfelt it was probably caused during the shipping.
Again, they sound magnificent. I will have them for a long time to come.

Purchased At:   AudioVideo4U (Intern