KEF Q60 Floorstanding Speakers

4.73/5 (11 Reviews)

Submitted by John Connolly a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2014

Bottom Line:
I rescued these from a bloke who was about to dump them at my local refuse recycling centre. He was going to live in Spain and said he couldn't take them with him. I got him to follow me to the cash point and gladly gave him £20 for his trouble.

I love these; I use them with an integrated JVC AX-1 integrated amp and a rega planar 3 deck, with RB300 arm and rega basik cartridge. Only use for my vinyl as not really designed for digital sound. With vinyl, it sounds warm, middle is great, only the high notes lose anything and you'd be picky to care. I always use them without grills as I think they look so good. Bass can be overwhelming dependent on what you're listening to so having a bass control is a good idea. Best £20 I will ever spend.

Submitted by BYRON ROBERTS a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2014

Bottom Line:
I BOUGHT THIS TO BE MY FRONT SPEAKERS,THEN I WENT TO 5.1 AND NOW I USE THEM FOR MY BACK SPEAKERS.GREAT BASS AND OUTSTANDIG IMAGEING.EVERBODY WHO SEES MY SYSTEM CAN'T BELEIVE HOW BIG OF A SPEAKER I'M USING FOR MY BACK SPEAKERS.THEY SIMPLEY SOUND GREAT.

Submitted by lucymeg a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2006

Bottom Line:
Best all round speakers I have ever used. The bass is reproduced perfectly while delicate classical music comes across as if played in the room. Superb speakers

Purchased At:   Richer Sounds

Submitted by slolay a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2006

Bottom Line:
I like the Q60's..very much

Had them for 12 years and was thinking about replacing them but reading the reviews on this site had to think to myself WHY!!

The speakers have given me and endless friends at parties perfect sound and I think they match upto any speakers owned by friends inc Bose.

I'm moving to a new home and like it goes was thinking of replacing them but now come to my senses and realised I dn't need to...these speakers are for life. Reme,ber putting them into storage for a year and kissing them (i did) when I opened them again

If you can get these speakers buy them straight away, unlike another reviewer I think one of their best points is how they look when you take the covers off..so different and it's always a good talking (boasting ) point when you tell people about the uni-Q drive and how the tweeter is not in the middle of the bass

These speakers have lasted me a while and expect to last me a whole lot more!!

Love 'em

Submitted by moggom a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2004

Bottom Line:
Hi there. After Reading these reviews of the KEF Q60's, and seeing them on the internet on an auction site, I decided I'd give them a go. Bloody good decision if you ask me. A few points to note before beginning though, which you, if you are intending to purchase these speakers, should take into account:

1) These are Bookshelf speakers. Large bookshelf speakers, but bookshelf speakers.

2) As bookshelf speakers, they are not meant to rock your house down with bass.

With that being said, these babies are solid. They look nice (I've noticed the picture is hard to come by, so I'll place a few measurements below), they have an 8 inch woofer, and they use KEF's UniQ system for the tweeter (1 inch). All the other info, the other reviewers before me have placed.

Suppose I should get to the sound...well, the soundstage and imaging are unbelievable. Im not joking, it is unbelievable. Again, let me restate that, unbelievable. placed a few metres apart on my workdesk, at ear level, if you close your eyes, you can hear everything as though you were there. All the voices, instruments, its moving, it really is. The 8 inch woofer creates enough bass to make the music solid (rock etc), while still containing much detail.

So, why mention the part about bookshelves above? Because these are bookshelf speakers. They have much more bass than the majority of all bookshelves, but at only 8 inches, the woofers cannot compete with other larger speakers (even of lesser quality). Not to say the bass is weak, it is not, esp for bookshelf speakers, where I would say the bass is very strong, but it is not earth vibratingly strong, even with a solid amplifier. Being bookshelf speakers, there is the problem of power handling as well. 100 watts RMS is the recommended amplifier to go with these speakers, and I have a yamaha with 100 watts rms with good dynamic range, yet these speakers will begin distorting when the volume is loud. How loud? Well, as loud as you would want bookshelf speakers to go really, i mean, when you play music like you really want to play music, the bassy stuff starts distorting. Really, I am only saying this because I have a pair of infinity floorstanders beside me, which are much more suited to loud music.

Anyway, to explain fully my thoughts on these, If you want awesome bookshelves, buy these. I got them for a steal, dont take my price paid as a recommendation as to their value....I got a really really good deal on an auction site for mint condition ones, in New zealand. The price , $180 is in US dollars (SUPER DOOPER BARGAIN)...I was going to puchase some tannoy m2's but changed my mind. Im glad I did. Music quality is awesome, crushes the infinities standing beside me (except the bass factor). However, dont let this put you off, they still have mighty bass for 8 inches. A sub would go down real well. A pair of speakers that will last you a lifetime, paired with subs, would be good for a bedroom, for livingroom with sub, or just for casual listening. Like all the others on this website, Cant get enough and will keep them forever.!!!

Good luck with yours, don't hesitate, just buy. Things like these don't lose their value, if you dont like it, sell it. No harm, might lose a few bucks at most shipping!

Real quick measurements, 45cm tall, 24 cm wide, 30 cm deep (rough!).

Purchased At:   New Zealand, second

Dynaudio Audience 50 or KEF Q60?

Hi everyone, i need to get a pair of speakers for my parents but don't know which one is better. Dynaudio Audience 50 or KEF Q60? In my country Singapore, for a second hand pair of Dynaudio Audience 50 @ $500 and KEF Q60 @ $450, both are in very good condition. Can anyone guide me into which is bett ... Read More »