KEF Q55 Floorstanding Speakers

4.47/5 (38 Reviews) MSRP : $800.00

2&1/2 way design, 150W, 6ohm, 91dB/W/m, floorstanding

Submitted by Reano a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2002

Bottom Line:
OK I have used these speaks for more than a year easily now. These speakers are very good if you have good amp I used Pioneer vsx 909m You bi-wire and allow sufficient burn in. I think it is good to get a sub to complement this package. I have a Velodyne sub I have also used with Yamaha sub. I have the Kef Cresta 1 rears. So every thing is sweat.
This speaker does give you a good sound stage if they are set up to ear level and toed in as recommended.
The thing I like about these speakers is you can turn it up loud and get no distortion for very musical tracks like jazz, latin and classical it rocks! for more bassy type tracks R&B, soul, etc I would recommend a good sub either REL or Velodyne preferably.

Purchased At:   Superfi uk

Submitted by mac a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2002

Bottom Line:
Just spent a frustrating day trying to get these dogs to sound good.Y'know,for the price there are a whole lotta speakers out there that sound a whole lot better than these.Sure,the notes are there.The bass is not very low(I would say these bottom out at about 60)so a sub is a must,even for tunes let alone a HT set-up.But their real failure is the just can't throw an image,and there is no possibilty of anything close to what can be called a soundstage.We were running these through some pretty pricey components and cables(several tried)and no matter where placed,these things just don't work very good.
Let me take this opportunity,again, to emphazise just how poorly most mass-market
equipment performs....and that is not good.
I understand the fear that many folks may have regarding spending goodly sums of cash on brand names that are not familiar to them.However,I must stress that this is just lazyness.Get out of the Big Box/Circuit City stores and do some leg work.Don't EVER buy sound equipent from Internet clearing houses(most of that stuff is either clearing out cuz it's junk,or is reconditioned.)Find yerself a nice local stereo shop,and make the guy your friend.Be adventurous,and you will get a whole lot more quality for your dollar.Very little of what comes out of the East is worth the packaging it comes in.I have a pair of Canadian bookshelves,Axiom M22Ti,that are half the price of these KEFs,and they are wonderful(just named Product of the Year by Soundstage).These Kefs were designed in Britain,but are made from Asian parts...badly.

Purchased At:   canada

Submitted by Juice_22 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
I picked them up for very cheap and have been happy with them since day one. They are very accurate. They don't have too much bass, but the Mid to High sound excellent.

Purchased At:   Barrett's

Submitted by Philip Kelly a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
Ive had these speakers for less than a week from the date this was written and im very impressed. Ive read reviews saying that they lack deep bass, in my experience this is not true- it isnt ground shattering bass but its a shocking amount for 2 6" drivers. I can only put it down to the amp being used by these reviewers. If your thinkin of buying thses speakers Id say go for it but give them a listen with your own amp.

Purchased At:   loud and clear glasg

Submitted by panda645 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
Bought these speakers off ubid.com. Got a great deal. I have never seen them on ubid since I bid on them. Lucky timing!Very happy with them so far. Good clean mids and decent mid bass. Highs detailed but slight roll off on the very top end. A little tweak on the treble control and all is well.Low bass not there but what the heck do you expect out of a 6 1/2 " woofer. Come on guys! Buy a great subwoofer (Hsu VTF-2) like I did and you will have all the tight deep bass you can handle! Great soundstage and imaging.Auditioned high end speakers two to three times the cost of the KEF's and these speakers sound great for the money.

Purchased At:   ubid.com

Kef Q55.2

I need your opinion: I have a very nice pair of KEF Q55.2, which is driven by Synthesis Nimis. It sounds to me that KEFs do enjoy the Nimis, but… While quite sensitive, they do not sound very fast. For the nice bass, I have to go high in volume, and play with both ports. I must admit one thing – my ... Read More »