KEF Q50 Floorstanding Speakers

4.22/5 (18 Reviews)

Speakers Uni-Q design.

Submitted by Flo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2013

Bottom Line:
Is build for classic and jazz music.

Submitted by Conrad Dias a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2012

Bottom Line:
I was looking around for a good set of speakers, and finally settled down for the KEF Q Series.
The Q5O. But I am totally disappointed with the UNI- Q tweeters. I have replaced the Tweeters
at least 7 times, where by I could have purchased another set of speakers. The Uni Q tweeter is a complete failure and would never recommend anyone to purchase the KEF brand. especially the Q Series.

Submitted by Rudy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2012

Bottom Line:
The KEF Q-50 has been my stable companion as my main source of HI FI pleasure .. I just powered them with a vintage 1979 Kenwood KR 6050 and the became even better ,.. crisp highs delicate under passages and robust not mushy base find a pair before there gone,.. these have been working since 1993 when I got them new

Submitted by mjtab a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2011

Bottom Line:
I have always wanted to try a modern KEF Uni-Q speaker, and had a chance to pick up a used pair of Q50s in near mint condition, and am I glad I made the purchase.

These floorstanders consist of a 6-1/2" Uni-Q driver (mid/bass w/ tweeter in the center of it in) the upper section, which is sealed off from the 6-1/2" bass driver that is in the lower section of the speaker. The top section is ported in the front while the bass section is ported in the rear.

These speakers reproduce sound better than their price dictates. They have a very neutral sound, not warm or cool, not forward or laid back. They have the sound of a quality stand-mounted monitor speaker with better bass, and have one of the most musical highs and clearest midrange I have personally heard in a speaker, while the bass is tight and not soft or sloppy. Dialogue is very easy to articulate, while cymbals, bells, vibes and other instruments producing highs sound just so sweet. Sax and horns have no harshness and plenty of transients. There is no one-note bass from this speaker, but easy to discern bass runs. They produce a nice dynamic sound with 3D imaging with instruments positioned in a nice big airy soundstage. Finally, overall balance is easy to adjust by moving the speaker out from the rear wall or closer to strike a nice balance in bass reproduction. Some speakers take endless tweaking to find the balance, but not with this speaker.

What can I say, but I love these speakers - for music first and definitely movies as well with its clear articulate presentation. No wonder people hang on to these speakers for a long time before upgrading. The purchase of these floorstanding speakers is a keeper for sure, pushing other speakers I own into storage.

Submitted by andrew671 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2009

Bottom Line:
I had these speakers for a little over a year now.. I am fairly new to this whole Hi Fi scene, but I learn fast.. I was in the market for my very first loudspeakers.. At the time I was still in college so I had a limited budget.. I found these speakers on eBay and got them for $220.. I had already owned the KEF KHT3005 HT speakers, so I wanted to stick with the kef theme.. Once it arrived I hooked it up to my Onkyo TX-sr606 and I was amazed by the sounds of these speakers.. very nice highs and mids, however the bass was almost non-existence.. The bass didn't matter because I was only using them for my HT (home theater) set up which already had a sub, two actually.. The cabinet and the finish were very nice, I had the black ash Q50.. Nice and stable, looks great with or without grills, mids and highs were nice and bright but not too bright were it was uncomfortable.. Overall I think the Q50 are pretty good but not great as well.. I am thinking of just replacing the bass woofer with a different brand and see how that works.. Listening room dimension 21ftW x 16ftL x 10ftH ceiling.. Well hope this helps anyone..

Home Theater
Kef KHT3005 HT speakers 5.1
Kef Q50 tower speakers
Kef HTB2BK subwoofer
Onkyo TX-sr606
Sony PlayStation 3 (love movies)

2 Channel Stereo
Krix Lyrix loudspeakers
Nad 3020 intergraded amplifier
Sony CD player PS1 SCPH-1001 (just wanted to try it)