KEF Q50 Floorstanding Speakers

4.26/5 (19 Reviews)

Speakers Uni-Q design.

Submitted by Mike in NZ a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2017

Bottom Line:
I bought these Kef Q50s in 1995 when a friend closed down his audio retail business, so have had them now for 22 years. Never regretted the purchase. I love the clean sound, especially with vocals - someone like Leonard Cohen with his textured voice sounds great. Beautifully balanced sound and a great sound stage as other reviewers have noted, with clear treble and satisfying bass. Worked well as stereo pair for most of the years with a relatively basic Denon DRA365 stereo amp but a couple of years or so back upgraded to a Denon X3000 7.2 receiver. Added a Kef C6LCR centre, two in-wall Q Acoustics speakers for side/rear sound, and a Velodyne CHT10 sub to get 5.1 surround sound. They all work well together - I understand Q Acoustics, although a recent company, was established by Kef engineers who left that company, so the heritage is still there. I'm very happy with the Q50s as an integral part of my home theatre now and can simply switch to them for stereo sound when I want that. Have seen second-hand Q50s available at great prices and they would be bargain purchases now.

Submitted by Flo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2013

Bottom Line:
Is build for classic and jazz music.

Submitted by Conrad Dias a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2012

Bottom Line:
I was looking around for a good set of speakers, and finally settled down for the KEF Q Series.
The Q5O. But I am totally disappointed with the UNI- Q tweeters. I have replaced the Tweeters
at least 7 times, where by I could have purchased another set of speakers. The Uni Q tweeter is a complete failure and would never recommend anyone to purchase the KEF brand. especially the Q Series.

Submitted by Rudy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2012

Bottom Line:
The KEF Q-50 has been my stable companion as my main source of HI FI pleasure .. I just powered them with a vintage 1979 Kenwood KR 6050 and the became even better ,.. crisp highs delicate under passages and robust not mushy base find a pair before there gone,.. these have been working since 1993 when I got them new

Submitted by mjtab a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2011

Bottom Line:
I have always wanted to try a modern KEF Uni-Q speaker, and had a chance to pick up a used pair of Q50s in near mint condition, and am I glad I made the purchase.

These floorstanders consist of a 6-1/2" Uni-Q driver (mid/bass w/ tweeter in the center of it in) the upper section, which is sealed off from the 6-1/2" bass driver that is in the lower section of the speaker. The top section is ported in the front while the bass section is ported in the rear.

These speakers reproduce sound better than their price dictates. They have a very neutral sound, not warm or cool, not forward or laid back. They have the sound of a quality stand-mounted monitor speaker with better bass, and have one of the most musical highs and clearest midrange I have personally heard in a speaker, while the bass is tight and not soft or sloppy. Dialogue is very easy to articulate, while cymbals, bells, vibes and other instruments producing highs sound just so sweet. Sax and horns have no harshness and plenty of transients. There is no one-note bass from this speaker, but easy to discern bass runs. They produce a nice dynamic sound with 3D imaging with instruments positioned in a nice big airy soundstage. Finally, overall balance is easy to adjust by moving the speaker out from the rear wall or closer to strike a nice balance in bass reproduction. Some speakers take endless tweaking to find the balance, but not with this speaker.

What can I say, but I love these speakers - for music first and definitely movies as well with its clear articulate presentation. No wonder people hang on to these speakers for a long time before upgrading. The purchase of these floorstanding speakers is a keeper for sure, pushing other speakers I own into storage.