KEF Q5 Floorstanding Speakers

4.77/5 (13 Reviews)

. The response of the midrange/HF array is fluid and accurate, and the 165mm (6 1/2") bass driver has its own tuned enclosure and reflex port for more dynamic power handling. Wherever you sit, the configuration adds depth and texture to the stereo image. The high order crossovers are computer optimised, and terminals are twinned for bi-wiring or bi-amplification.

Submitted by pootle a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2010

Bottom Line:
These are by far the best speakers I've ever had - not that I've had many, only recently having bitten by the hi-fi bug. I bought them sight unseen and unauditioned on ePay, partly on the strength of the reviews here and partly by accident, having been caught up, as usual, in the excitement of bidding. I ended up paying US$350 which, when you add in $60 for shipping and another $40-ish for taxes and duties at the border, comes to about $450 Canadian. Still less than half the original MSP. Anyway, I have them pseudo bi-amped to a Yamaha RX-V1500 that sounded so gratingly bright with a pair of Paradigm Monitor 3SEs that I was quite concerned about some remarks in this forum about the Kef's allegedly forward and bright sound. However, I've been nothing but delighted with them in the few days that I've owned them. I'm listening to someone's trumpet concerto (could be Mozart? How embarrassing...) and I can all but see the trumpet and its brass bell just in front of me. It just pops into the foreground from purest empty space. The sound is beautifully pure with wonderful imaging and separation, as many reviewers have already said. There really is no reason to complain about the Kef's bass, either, despite what a few other reviewers have said. It is more subtly presented than might be the case with some other speakers, but I've turned the crossover on my huge old Energy AS-180 sub down to 60hz just to let the Kef's do their musical thing with the mid and upper bass.

Having listened a little more, I suppose it might be possible to call the Kefs very lslightly clinical in the treble, but that might be Yammie's fault. In the same vein, the mids might do with a tiny bit of warming up, but I'm not going to risk messing with the sound by using an equaliser. They seem very easy to drive, although my only basis for comparison is an elderly pair of Paradigm Export Monitors

I haven't really listened to any rock yet, but they sound very good with Diana Krall and Sarah McClachlan. I'm not a huge Krall fan - or a jazz fan, for that matter - but these things might change my mind. I wonder what Chick Corea will sound like?

All in all, a fabulous pair of speakers and an real bargain at used prices.

Submitted by Entsmonkey a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2009

Bottom Line:
These speakers make music sound ethereal! Such depth and dynamics bring life to the music (even using modest components). The only draw back is the lack of bass weight, if you want a massive boom boom sound these speakers aren't for you. I like listening to Hip-Hop and chilled dance music and they are fine for me. Even if there isn't a massive amount of bass there what is there is ver very controled and very deep, take a listen to "god bless the dead" by Tupac and the bass is immense, tight, controlled and seismic without being overwhealming. The only downside is a little lack of punch in commercial rock music which is mastered with a low limit of about 75Hz, but, it needs to be emphasised to drive the music along. Classical and Jazz music (i.e. music with dynamics) are fantastic, the ceiling for the dynamic is so high - it just keeps going in terms peaks in the music - whilst maintaning the black of the quiet. Just close your eyes and take a listen.

****Advice = keep the fronts on if there are children about, I've lost mine for 2 months now due to 4 year old! been reduced to using Q1's (good speakers just not enough volume of air ;-D)

Submitted by Xris Osborne a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2007

Bottom Line:
KEF Q5s Something to talk about. I've just purchased the Q5s and cannot believe the amount of Dynamic range and stereo character balance these speaker are archieving. i just played Toni Braxton "There's no me" and i only use a cyrus system configuration and a Rel Strata for my sub. The individual cords of every guiter can be heard along with the beautiful smooth bass filling lasting but tight and predictable. These speakers have been a joy to listen too. My last speakers Tannoy dual concentric were not capable of handling so much detail and control at my amp's lowest volume setting but cost so much more. If you only go for class you cannot be disappointed, if you only go for sound you will be over the moon twice as the sound has to be heard rather than talked about
Fantastic lets Congratulate KEF for bringing a wonderful natural sounding speaker to us at a price we can afford.THX....

Purchased At:   RicherSounds

Submitted by jack jackson a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2006

Bottom Line:
Very good speaker INHO, I`ve been having this product for good 4 months and I`m so happy with quality of sound, wide clean tweeter/midrange, something worth high-end audio accolades, and as for bass many complain about, OK, I had same problem when i ran auto calibration and EQ from my pioneer elite 72txv( quality!!).
When ever i would listen in stereo mode i had weak bass, but after digging in receiver set up menu, first i found speaker distance measures were somewhat wrong, so i incrrease that one giving me louder output and than adjusting low frequncies in manual EQ set up, after that bass was present and now I`m enjoying every bit of music in steeo mode, no need for sub. I`m mostly listening dance where there is a lot of bass and kick drum present. Now bass articulate, fast and loudm, of course no low freq and extensions but giving the size adn configuration of the speaker, I`m all smiles.....

also paying 800$ with shipping and warranty Q5 pair,Q6c center and Q compact for surround over ebay.com its a deal of the decade!!!

Purchased At:   ebay.com

Submitted by jsoosai a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2005

Bottom Line:
After I auditioned it in a demo room, I was tremedously impressed with this speaker. I tried only "Eagles - Hell Freezes over". It was like hearing an archestra live. However when I took one to home and tried various recording I got mixed results. Deep bass is one thing missing in these speakers inspite of having additional bass driver(6.5" ofcource) and being a tower. NAD C352's bass capability is not realised with these speakers. Feel like I need a subwoofer. Thin recordings sound really thin (this may not be a deficiency if a true speaker is supposed to reproduce it faithfully). Vocals are clear and strings are pleasing to hear. Overall a nice, natural sounding speaker. Looks good (dark apple) in my living room.

Using with NAD C352 and Denon DVD 1910.

Purchased At:   Bangalore, India

Do KEF Q5 is the same level wirh the B&W 603S3?

Hi Do KEF Q5 is the same level wirh the B&W 603S3? I have the interest to choose one of them for my parent's live room. Which one is better for 50% music and movie?Read More »

B&W DM602.5 S3 or KEF Q5, or other speaker?

Hi all, My listening room is about total 40 square feet (8 (L) X 5 (W) feet, but my room is all open, it is mean that no wall behind the AV cabinet, behind the AV cabinet is the main bed room, it is about a bed size width and high (I haven’t cal. Include this behind size of room since it is behin ... Read More »