KEF Q30 Floorstanding Speakers

4.43/5 (14 Reviews) MSRP : $600.00

2 way 6.5in woof, 0.75in tweeter, Uni-Q design

Submitted by spk984 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2012

Bottom Line:
After delegating these speakers from dedicated music room to family room my son pumped endless hours of bass heavy dub step through them and still they amaze me with accurate detailed treble and a full rich bass. Longevity, beautiful sound in a sub 1000$ speaker makes these a rare gem. Highly recommend them as a used speaker purchase if anyone is actually willing to part with them.

Submitted by Jason a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2010

Bottom Line:
Terrible speakers. Lacking serious definition and fidelity. Truly waste of money.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by christopher baus a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is an over rated speaker. It is essentially a coaxial driver of about the same quality as a mediocre car speaker in a large enclosure. The enclosure does help get a reasonable, but not great for a cabinet of this size, bass response.

They are also painfully inefficient. I tried them with an old tube amp. That was a joke. I now use them as near field monitors with a large adcom amplifier that would drive many speakers to an ear splitting level just to get any dynamic range from them.

In my opinion mid range defines a quality speaker, and it just isn't there. Vocals are too often muddled, especially with material with any bass content. While the bass reflex design does extend lower registers, it comes at a cost of precise mid range control.

If you are looking at speakers in this price range I would seriously look at the B&W 600 series, which sets the standard for this price range.

Purchased At:   audiogon

Submitted by joris van Beers a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought in 1995 the dynaudio's gemini's, when I listened to them after a few months I missed the vocal detail and the bass. I placed my dynaudio gemini's on a market place site and traded them for Kef Q30's. I always loved kef speakers. I owned a pair of C80, and they sounded great. After the trade I was surprised how beautiful these speaker sounds. The vocals sounds clear and crispy, much better than the dynaudio gemini's
Ok the bass isn't like the kef C80, but I use my subwoofer to pull up the bass.

Submitted by Alan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is my second pair of Q 30s. (first pair was stolen) These are the best speakers I have ever owned! Currently I have them as my front speakers in my surround system, connected to my Marantz SR5000. Awesome! Great for stereo and for surround. I have a 12" paradigm sub, so they don't have to handle the low end. With a sub, I think they sound better than the Q55s. If you can find these anywhere, buy them!

Purchased At:   recycledaudio.com