KEF Q3 Floorstanding Speakers

4.29/5 (7 Reviews)

With its Ferrofluid-cooled aluminium dome neodymium tweeter derived from the Reference series unit, the coincident source 165mm (6 1/2") UNI-Q driver array creates a spacious and intricate sound image thoughout the room, and bass extention from the large front-firing port is taut, gutsy and accurately controlled to preserve the clarity of the midrange. KEF''s unique bracing system increases cabinet rigidity to minimise distortion, and the sophisticated crossovers are connected directly to the bi-wire terminals for optimum signal integrity.

Submitted by wavefront a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2005

Bottom Line:
I use these speakers with a NAD C350 60wpc. In overall, they sound very great. They are espacially strengfull in the mid region. Trompets, sax, guitar, voice are marvelous. Second strenght is without any doubt the wide soundstage. I'm not an expert but it may come from the Q technology. --> very empressive. So great with Sinead O'connor or acoustic guitar. It's fascinating to see how these speakers fill the room space.

What I could say for bad points are the little shiness in the high end frequency range. It can be a good point for some "too bright" recording like some blue note but for some other, the cibiline sound can miss me. However, its noting very disapointing. The bass extension is the other point where I could say a word. Here again, this is only a little ba point but it has to be mention. For organ or deep bass Jazz (I think too Romeo Is Bleeding sountrack from Mark Isham) a creamy taste is missing some time. This is not enough to affect the bass drum of Dave Holland big Band or Conan the barbarian Percution. In an other hand, speakers like B&W 601, 602 or even 602.5 w'ont give more bass extension.

In overall, very recommandable for a first system or for someone how wants quality but don't have 3000$ too spend for.

I put Five Star for the price since you can enjoy a real HIFI musical experience for a very low price. The four star come from the fact that they aren't perfect.

Submitted by jeffczar a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2005

Bottom Line:
First let me say that these are possibly the best speakers I have heard under $1000 and one of the best speakers I have heard in many regards period. That being said I would like to address some of the issues I have read about these speakers in many places. First, I read in many places that the low end is thin. Absolutely False. The low end is deep, rich and natural without tipped up boom that seems to have infested many smaller speakers. The low end on these speakers is RIGHT. They are tight and have ample weight when the material does. Second, I have read that the overall sound of the high end is a bit dark and not detailed. Partially False. I listen to mainly Jazz and Acoustic music. On this material, the highs are silky, smooth and a bit laid back. While they are not the last word in upper octave datail, they have a nice smooth top end. On Rock music, I can see how some would say they lack some detail. I do not think these are great rock speakers. If you listen to mainly rock/pop music, I would say these are not for you. Probably a set of JBL L100's may suit you better (That's not an insult, I have owned L112's and think many JBL speakers sound very good). If you are looking for Boom/Sizzle these aren't for you either. Now the REAL strengths of this speaker. The midrange presence, and the in the room soundstage is almost beyond compare. These babies are deep and wide and convey acoustic instruments second to none. If you liked the Spendor/Harbeth LS3/5's you will LOVE these. Until now, the Harbeths were the best speaker I have ever owned. These are deeper and more natural with more body in the bass with similar midrange accuracy and maybe a shade darker at the extreme top. So I give these a BIG 2 thumbs up for overall musical presentation and awesome imaging. For twice the going price you couldn't go wrong. That being said, my system is all tube. I cannot comment on how they sound with solid state gear. Everything I just said may be untrue in an all SS setup. I use a pristine restored Heathkit AA121 stereo amp. This amp has huge iron and is about 60-80 watts per side. A very good vintage tube amp, yes I have heard better but at many times the price. Give these a serious listen or consideration if you listen to mainly Jazz/Acoustic music. Speakers previously owned are Harbeth LS3/5, NHT super zero, JBL L112. Speakers I have recently heard or compared to the KEF's NHT SB2 (boomy bass and sucked out midrange), KEF Q Compact (nice small speaker for small rooms), and my friend owns a pair of Martin Logans with Conrad Johnson electronics. Most importantly, these speakers make me want to listen to music and listen more and more. Isn't that what it's all about in the end?

Purchased At:   audogon

Submitted by steve1169 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2005

Bottom Line:
Price includes shipping, New unopened boxs. I love how British speakers sound, very laid back and musical. I own Celestion DL-8 series II & B&W N802 speakers. For the price the speakers image very well and sound balanced. I have played around using a Denon AVR-2105 90wpc recever, Adcom 200wpc amp and a Krell High Current 100wpc Class A amp. I like the sound of the Q3s and love them with my Sony SA-Wa 700 Subwoofer. They sound good on each level of amp. Of course they sounded best on the Krell, but they sounded great even on the lowest priced Denon (See my review). I can't hear any difference bi-wiring the speakers but did hear a difference I bi-amping them. I would buy them again.

Submitted by Tony a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have a pair of these rounding out my surround speakers in my system. I do at times listen to background music in my HK 320's 5 channel stereo mode which sends full range sound and power to the surround and center speakers as well as fronts. The Q-3s sound almost identical to the Q-5s i have in the fronts. The overall system sounds great for its price, but not as good as my Velodyne system when it comes to detail.

Purchased At:   Reliable Audio

Submitted by EricP a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2003

Bottom Line:
Picked up these speakers last fall for 700 bucks Canadian (around 500-550 US) and couldn't be happier for what I spent. When listening to music however I find there is a slight lack of bass, but when watching a movie, in DTS(ES) it'll hold it's own. I love the look and overall I'm really happy with them. 5 stars for value due to the low price payed, and 4 overall cause they could always be better.

Kef Q1