KEF Q-900 (Walnut) Floorstanding Speakers

• Crossover Frequency: 1.8kHz
  • Frequency Response: 32Hz - 40kHz

Submitted by rmoser a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2012

Bottom Line:
I decided to hear the Q900 after the John Atkinson´s Stereophile review. The magazine´s editor said that Q900 is the best speaker under $2000 ever made. I listened the Q900 for 2 weeks in my system and I agree with the Stereophile´s veredict. These Kefs not give us the sweetness of (around $2000) B&W´s mids, neither the (around $2000) Dynaudio´s smooth punch or the Thiel´s resolution. The Q900 isn´t the best in only one item, but it´s very good in all items that we evaluate separately. I can´t say about the Q900 what people say about entry level speakers like: "the top range sounds like speakers that cost 3 times" or "the image is like my $8000 reference speaker". Very honesty and very well balance are the words that I can say about then.
Moreover, this Kef model needs space, good eletronics and good cables to deliver all that it can do for us.
I bought a pair of Q900 and I´m thinking about to replace the 14 y.o. Mahler Speakers from Vienna Acoustic by them. I´m almost sure about it. But I´m sure that Q900 are a good choice for audiophiles who want music instead the electronics.
Good look, good sound stage, good bass extension, well balance mids, very honesty highs, very good focus, good resolution, good dynamics... for good music! If it´s enough for you, the Q900 is a very good choice.

Equipment compared: Kef Q3, Kef Q300, B&W 805S, B&W 803D, B&W CM7, Vienna Mahler, Dynaudio Countour 2.4T, Primare i21, Aura VA80SE, Audiopax Model 5, Mark Levinson 380s, Parasound A-23, Jeff Rowland Model 112.

Submitted by sam buffer a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2011

Bottom Line:
I had been listening for several years to replace my Heco Mythos 500 (German) speakers. These speakers had set prices of 4000 to 5000 Euros. None of them convinced me to make the investment as the difference between my Heco speakers and the candidates was not large enough. I eventually ended up with these Q900's. Please note that I am a SACD fan and that I use 5 identical speakers. This makes it very worthwile to search a little bit longer.

I got 5 Q900"s for 3000 Euros. They made all of the other candidates I experienced before look pale.

Thes Kef speakers are excellent and offer an awesome value for money. The high tones are lucid and transparent, and extremely realistic, as are the mids. Only the lows are a bit hard to drive, there is only one driver that "lurks"on the amplifier, the rest is passive. This implies a danger of droning, but with a well developed amplifier (like my Pioneer Susano) you can control this by proper microphone measurement.

A real bargain tip!