KEF IQ7 Floorstanding Speakers

• Nominal Impendance: 8
  • Magnetic Shielding

Submitted by Tony a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2014

Bottom Line:
Kef IQ7's wow.

I run these bad boys bi-amp'd from a 20 watt valve amp using THX speaker wire
and the sound right out of the box was awesome.
I ran them in on low volume with pink noise on a loop for 24 hours.

Now the sound is sooooo much better and crystal clear.
I warm the amp up for about 45 mins before unleashing the beast.
Imagine dragons "radioactive" & the heavies "how do you like me now," besides The Who's Quad album are mind blowing. Instruments are separated and rich with detail.
These speakers have so much stage presence and detail it is just f###ing amazing
From rock to pop even Old 80's sounds are good.

I even watch films from the computer via sound blaster audigy card and it's like
Actually being in the movie

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by HifiGuyHi a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2013

Bottom Line:
If you own KEF IQ7's please read. I wanted to clear up some comments in the order of "these speakers sound harsh" I believe a review is not helpful if you claim this without telling us the type of cables, amplifier, and wiring. User errors....not speakers fault. Ok now the speakers, I've had these for over 4 years and used many amps, cables and single/bi wire/ bi amp configs. Most people believe for a single wire config that the jumper wire should be of the same make. Failure. I think engineers at kef made these to match the speaker there connecting to or they wouldn't have gave it to you. I found after using smaller wire, any other wire besides the factory jumper was harsh also. In fact I don't want to bi amp it because of this, unless active. So don't let your noob show and tell us more about your harsh sources and how you ran them. I bet someone here can help you correct your mistake. These are very flat and smooth top end, I use them with grills. I find the tweeter to be one of nicest tweeters for anything plus some in the price range.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by Karamel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2009

Bottom Line:
IQ7 are very neutral sounding speakers with clear midrange and airy treble. They really grow with more expensive amps and sources. The strongest quality is imaging. These loudspeakers have ability to completely disappear in the soundstage making instrumens and voices to appear as they were there in front of you, very solid and lifelike. Simply great sounding speakers and a very safe bet.

Josephs review is a very solid marketing for Rega et. al.. Joseph doesn't even own these loudspeakers and has only heard them in a store. Please, someone should delete Joseph's review from this site.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by Joseph a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2007

Bottom Line:
Price is in £

Demoed these speakers in a couple of hifi shops, they are heavily marketed and advertised in many of the current HiFi magazines.

The salesman told me they were really good speakers and everyone buys them, I wasn’t impressed. They were very harsh and didn’t reveal much at all. I struggled to listen to them for long and eventually had to tell him to turn them off. They were running on a NAD CD player and an harman kardon Amp.

If you think that a pair of these is good for the money I beg you to demo them against a pair of Regas or Quads at the same price.

Purchased At:   Global HiFi Newcastl

Submitted by mbrowns a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2006

Bottom Line:
These speakers are really outstanding for the money. KEF has made real improvements with the iQ series.

I previously owned some KEF speakers from the Q.2 series featuring the improved 4th generation Uni-Q driver. I thought they sounded really good -- and they do. See the reviews on this site for the Q15.2, Q35.2, Q65.2, etc.

The new iQ series features a 6th generation Uni-Q driver and the KEF website details the changes and extolls the virtues of them. You never know if those "improvements" result in sonic differences or if it's just a bunch of marketing bunk.

Well, I'm here to say the new iQ range definitely has sonic improvements. The iQ7's I have now are sonically superior in just about every way. The imaging, clarity, and range are truly beautiful. One word of warning: you better have some high quality recordings on hand to hear what these can really do!