KEF 104.2 Floorstanding Speakers

4.82/5 (73 Reviews)

Submitted by Kevin a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2015

Bottom Line:
Just the most amazig, accurate, window to music you will EVER hear. I bought a pair that were beat up,non matching serial numbers. inner rings shot, and never upgraded. They were phenomenal. Then, as luck would have it (live in a heavily populated area) I found a pair in flawless rosewood, with upgraded tweeters, inner rings replaced, Recapped, resealed, baskets dampened, ect., ect. Yes he was an audiophile like me (us:) and had done the work himself. He had a death in the family, like me, and got them for $500. It was the bargain of a lifetime. I've heard everything imaginable. I have visited the Martin Logan factory. Same with Legacy audio (Lawrence, KS & Springfield, IL respectively). The bottom line is NO speaker I've ever heard gets everthing right like these. Honestly it's not close. It is an audio classic gem. One of the best EVER made. If you find a pair, even in bad shape, give a listen. You will be swept away. Btw I will die with mine-never to be sold or replaced.

Submitted by Claus Nymark a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2013

Bottom Line:
I have owned a pair of KEF 103.2 Reference for many years, and have always loved the sound of them - the smooth tweeter and the relatively deeb bass in such size speakers. Now I have bought a pair of KEF 104.2 Reference and exchanged the tweeters with modern textile dome tweeters with comparable specs, but with a sound more like the speaker, when they were new and the tweeter oil new. They sound fantastic. Enough bass to make the stomach feel it and now with modern soft tweeters. Total price in Denmark: 300€ (400 $US) and three hours work.

Submitted by Arjan_S a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2012

Bottom Line:
I have never owned the Kef 104/2 speakers, but they were the first real hifi speakers I listened to, think it was in late 1987. I was 18 years old and of course unable to buy them, but the hifi dealer saw I was very much into listening at these great speakers just for once, let's say to make me warm for the real thing. He said: come back the next time and bring your favorite music and I will have some coffee for you ready. I brought my first bought CD with me: Famous blue raincoat from Jennifer Warnes. I never forget that experience. Wow, that voice of Jennifer was stunning. The hairs on my body raised from exaltation. The music was the center of attention, not the speakers. At that time I didn't have the know how and listening experience that I have now, but the fact that the speakers didn't draw all the attention to themselves is actually one of the best compliments of the speaker.

That afternoon at the hifi dealer always stayed with me, and from that time I was sold to Kef.

I did a lot of vacation jobs to be able to buy my first speakers: The Kef C95. After that the Kef 101/2, followed by the Kef RDM2 and finally the Kef 103/4. Just recently also the Kef model 101 from 1978, by the way a jewel of a speaker.

So despite the fact that I have never owned the speakers, they were the ones that have paved the way of my love for music and hifi.

Submitted by Carlo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2012

Bottom Line:
I have a T33 tweeter spare ... for KEF 104/2 .
I bought 2 VIFAs... and i put them...

So i have a tweeter

Submitted by nedic a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2010

Bottom Line:
WHERE TO BUY REPLACEMENT TWEETERS?
I am the satisfied owner of KEF 104.2 loudspeakers. They are speakers one listens to and which are neutral in contrast to other types of speakers.
However, I am experiencing problems with a tweeter. I read a review regarding replacement tweeters at //www.frequency.dk. but could not find this address. Could anyone help me with the exact address and name of the firm which sells replacement tweeters?
Thank you in advance and I wish you many years of pleasurable listening!