KEF 103.2 Floorstanding Speakers

4.78/5 (32 Reviews)

Kef 103.2 Reference speaker

Submitted by Robert a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2016

Bottom Line:
I recently purchased a fine pair of 103.2 speakers for $375 Cdn. I did so having read the reviews here on audioreview.com and the awesome technical review at http://www.hifi-classic.net/review/kef-model-103-2-327.html The soundstage and detail is fantastic. You can also crank them up and they sound great. The S-Stop protection system means the drivers have been protected from abuse. A great feature when you are buying 30+ year old speakers!

A co-work saw a pair at a high-end audio store in downtown Toronto for $700, so I think I got a good deal!

I run a Carver MRX130 receiver (TFM25 130 watt amp, C-1 pre-amp) and a Sanusi SR222 turntable.

Submitted by Wolf Star a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2016

Bottom Line:
I bought my set of 103.2's back in 86 at a high end audiophile store in Cambridge Mass. When the guy played music with 4 cellos, 4 violas, 4 violins and 4 vocalists the sounds stage and clarity blew me away, I could pick out each instrument and person in the stereo image. He compared them to five other brands of well respected $1000 to $2000 range speakers (in 1986 dollars) and there was no comparison, the rest did not have the imaging or clarity (ultra low distortion). After my divorce ten years ago I just got them back from my X, set them up on my Yamaha receiver with 12" velodyne sub and WOW, they still rock, blow my NHT's away (and I really like the inexpensive NHT Super Ones a lot)... What can I say but matching drivers and making very rigid cabinets and matching complete speakers at the factory creates a stereo pair that has incomparable imaging. So happy to get my 103.2's back.

Submitted by Harvey a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2016

Bottom Line:
I finally picked up a pair of these on ebay about 3 months ago for $400 shipped, a bit higher that I had wanted to spend, but they have only 1 slight flaw, a 1/2 inch light scratch towards the back on the top of one speaker. I first heard these in 1984 at a shop on Connecticut Ave in Upper NW DC and for 30+ years their impression stayed with me. I hooked each one up to a bridged NAD 2155 (150W RMS, 250 Peak - 6 db dynamic headroom), replacing the same amp setup that I had with my KLH Model 23s. I think the NAD 2200 would sound better, but like I said, I first heard them connected to the NAD 7155, which is the receiver version of the NAD 2155 amplifier, so they are getting plenty of good, clean power. I think the KEFs just passed the KLHs in my preference for listening. I do have an energy e:xl 10 sub hooked up to my arrangement; it too is becoming my preferred arrangement for music listening. The KLHs are now sitting on the floor with the KEFs on top, but they do not sound good together like my Large Advents and the KLHs did stacked, not an issue. I'm using a Yamaha RXV1500 to drive the KLHs, center and surrounds. All in all, the 103.2s are a nice speaker, but my 32 year recollection was that they were better, that may change with more listening, but I only get a couple of hours per week to "really listen" to them. They are keepers though and I'm sure that my appreciation for them will only improve over time. I also think that they are beautiful pieces of "furniture". If you can pick them up for less than $300 or so shipped, I'd go for them.

Submitted by RAJ a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2016

Bottom Line:
The Kef 103.2 is a highly rated speaker and does sound very neutral. It does not have much bass but has a decent midrange mid bass punch for its size.

I would say its biggest weakness is the bass, and imaging. It does not produce a very dramatic stereo image vs other speakers I have. I have Klipsh KG4 and Chorus. Both Klipsch have superior imaging, they feel as if the band is in front of you with depth.

I've had new cross overs built and woofers checked and centered. They are in fantastic shape. They do have a nice sound, and have very nice wood veneer. They are good enough that I will not sell them, they might not image like the Klipsh but they do have a nice overall sound that I think most people would like.

Submitted by Jonathan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2015

Bottom Line:
Absolutely worth every penny and more. I found a pair used and by far, the best decision I've ever made. I'd planned on reselling them, but after listening to them, I can't bring myself to do it.

The sound is clear, bass is full, and now I've found a reason to stay home, watch movies, and listen to music. I really love these things and would not sell them for $500.

When listening to jazz, it's like having a live jazz musician in front of you.
When watching a movie, it's like being in a movie theater.
When listening to music, it's like hearing music for the first time, every time.