KEF 103.2
Description: Kef 103.2 Reference speaker

Submitted by skatr2 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2013

Bottom Line:
Purchased KEF 103.2's w/ Rosewood cabinets as demos in 1985. Originally ran through NAD 7140 Receiver as power and radio signal. Also, ran Garrard experimental turntable purchased in Englan in 1970 through it until upgrade 1998. Since then, sources include Linn LP12, NAD 7140 as tuner (still one of the best sources for FM signal), Linn Karik/Numerik as transport/DAC, and Naim 102 pre-amp, 180 amp, Hi Cap, separate power supply for 102 control, all run through proprietary balanced power supply and dedicated 20 amp circuit.

Auditioned a system upwards of $150K after I upgraded, and it couldn't beat what I was already hearing. Only other more recent upgrade was DIN-RCA interconnects that I had Orchard Electronics in Exeter, England, build for me about 5 years ago...huge improvement at a fraction of the cost of original Chords. The 103.2's are still up to the task.

If you enjoy listening to music, get a pair of these.

Submitted by Jurassic Five a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2011

Bottom Line:
I stupidly sold a pair of these 10 years ago ... Big mistake.
Finally found another pair & paid $500 for them but this is a serious bargain. These sound better than modern speakers up to $3k - $4k
I'm in love with music again.
Running through an old Akai amp & Pioneer stable platter CDP. I don't find them fussy partnering wise.

Submitted by Michael R. L'Ecuyer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2011

Bottom Line:
Kef 103.2 Reference Monitors

I'm no expert in the audiophile field but i know what I like my vintage system includes a Marantz 2275 a Thornes TD 160 with an Ortofon 2M Blue MM Cartridge, and now heres where things get a little tricky I'm now on my third set of speakers with this system. The first was my high school favorite the JBL L26 Decade ( wife thought they were to big how sad for me ) there gone, then came a pair of Celestion SL6S which I (we) love to death and will never part with. So now I`ve been bitten by the I love vintage bug and after having sold audio for a living in the 70's was on the hunt for what I remember to be some of the best sounding loudspeakers I`ve ever heard The KEF 101 / KEF 103.2 or the large and forever ugly 105.2. I had to rule the latter out wife says to big. So to make a short story long I bought a pair of 103.2's from a guy for $200.00 Very good condition but I think I'll have the cabinets refinished. So here I sit with my SL6S and now my beatiful 103.2's how luck can a guy be !!!!!!!

Submitted by NJB a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2010

Bottom Line:
Pulled my old KEF 103.2s from the basement today after making some changes to my audio system. After reading the reviews, boy am I sorry I did not take better care of them! Long story but hooked them up and at high volume (in my unfinished basement!) on Billy Joel's "Downeaster Alexa" (only CD in Marantz player at the time), they sounded quite good. I bought them in 1987 - used Dire Straights "Lady Writer" as my comparo song (did I mention I'm NOT an audiophile?!), moved several times and did not store them properly: At low volume, there was some buzzing. I fondly recall that these were amazing when placed properly as some have mentioned.

I was sad to learn that KEF no longer supports such a great speaker system (seems like a bad business decision) and I am on here in hopes that someone can recommend a good, honest "speaker tune up" person in NJ or NYC. I don't care if it's an audiophile working out of his basement so long as he'll only sell what I need, if anything at all can be done to improve low volume response, short of retiring the KEFs. Thanks for any help.

PS. Got a kick out of the "con" that one gent's speaker stands made his KEFs perfect height for cocktail holding...

Submitted by Ted R. a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2009

Bottom Line:
I recently came across a nice pair of these in RI. I did my research, and read how some viewed these as the best speakers/monitors they had ever heard. I had to take the leap. What was the fuss about?

These are among the best "box" speakers I have heard. I've had Spendor S20's, S3/5's, and Harbeth Compact 7ES-2's (when I had the $$ to be able to afford Harbeths). These remind me more of the Harbeth's.

For $300? I would encourage others to give them a try in a small'ish room. You may find yourself equally suprised and amazed.

What "bums" me out is that they are in fact, older, and I will be sad if and when they fail on me. But until then, I am grinning ear to ear.