JBL TLX-271P Floorstanding Speakers

4.6/5 (10 Reviews)

4-way speaker with 100 watt powered subwoofer

Submitted by gman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2010

Bottom Line:
Im a college student and was looking for a sound system and stumbled across these babies. I bought a pair off of craigslist about 4 months ago for $50 and we use them as party speakers at our house. The room we have these in is pretty large its roughly 30'x25'x12' and it opens up to the dining room and kitchen and man, I did not expect to feel the bass from these. I threw a kegger and ...........................lets just say it was a great night.

Submitted by Ewell Stamper a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2000

Bottom Line:
I now have 2 pairs of these speakers and to clear something up if you do find a pair don't have them shipped by UPS they like to see how rough they can be on stuff. My 1st pair was sent UPS and both had several of the grill pegs broke, all the foam in the box was broken to pieces, and the boxes looked like they were rolled to my house. The next set I got (BTW both were purchased from Ubid) I decided to opt for Fedex (it cost a bit more but the speakers arrived with out a scratch).

Overall the speakers are not actually too bad. The bass is par with speakers cost 5x-10x more than I paid for these. Nothing in the price range can compare. The mid range is a little weak, but can be brought out some with an equalizer for music. The highs are good, but can be bright at times.

These are excellent speakers for music listening and not too bad for home theater. The only problem is finding a center channel that is closely timbre matched. If anyone has any suggestions or knows where I can find any more of these speakers let me know.

Overall 5 stars
5 Stars for music
4.5 for home theater

Submitted by Larry Mundy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2000

Bottom Line:
I'm in line with most of what I've read here. I got these reconditioned at a severe discount a uBid and for what I paid they are fabulous. The subwoofers can be decoupled and run from a preamp/receiver subwoofer output, and I retired both my ARC Sub-8's to help the rear channels because the integrated subwoofers, hooked up this way, were all I need to torture pets and rattle things on shelves. These speakers have no cabinet resonance because they weigh more than my car. I like the high end of the plastic/titanium tweeters, clean but not brittle on a variety of music. I don't have a problem with the mid-bass, but maybe that is because I have the subwoofers decoupled (i.e., use the crossover of an AC-3 receiver) and adjusted everything above that with a graphic equalizer and tone generator. They are a good compromise for both home theater and critical music listening, and when my teenage daughter had a party at our house, I also found they can play extremely, incredibly, painfully loud without any indication of breakup.

The grilles were damaged in shipment, as I understand has happened to others here, despite the factory styrofoam packing etc. They are plastic moldings with fabric covers, and have little plastic pegs about 3/16" that stick into rubber-sleeved holes in the cabinet faces, and the pegs break off. I was not as successful with super glue as some others have reported here and in other reviews of TLS series JBL's. However, when they break off you will find the casting is hollow. Put a metal peg of some sort (I cut the heads off #8 wood screws) into the grille frame, and cover it with a 1/2" piece of appropriately-sized rubber or plastic tubing (if you have an aquarium you probably have the right stuff) and you have a permanent, durable, non-buzzy fix.

Whatever stock is left of these out there can from time to time be found refurbed (5-year factory warranty)on internet auctions for less than $100, and next time I find that I will buy another pair for my rear channels, just for complete overkill. Be cautioned, though, that shipping via UPS standard was $60 each to my house, so I ended up with a $300 investment in a pair. I'm still thrilled and consider them the deal of the century, though. Four stars for sound when biamped and equalized, five stars for value if you can find them for anywhere near the price I paid.

Submitted by Mark a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2000

Bottom Line:
At list of $1100/pair, I would avoid. However, I purchased these for $77/each refurbished at UBID. They are in great shape outside of broken Grill pegs. I believe that JBL would cover this under warranty, but I am going to send them back to UBID for a refund. Although at the price they are excellent speakers, I would prefer to purchase Infinity RS-8 or RS-10 to match my rear infinity speakers. Further, the infinity line fill sin the mid range sounds beter than this JBL. The midrange is not bad, but I would prefer more fullness.
Nevertheless, if you can find these speakers for $300/pair or less, I recommend buying them. You will not be dissapointed by the bass and the mid range is very workable, I'm just picky.
Thus, for value at $300 or less i give a 5 star rating. But for overall, I give a 4 because one can find more complete 4-way speakers for under this model's MSRP/

Submitted by Dustin a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2000

Bottom Line:
I picked these up for 67$ each on ubid and have 0 complaints at that price. The internal amp feeds well off of the direct line. Compliments my powered sub i had b4, giving a more spacious room filled bass, seemingly with out direction. Using the speaker feed for the base did not do a lot for me, but running them off my line outs of my powered sub, was definitely worth the purchase of 2 more monster subwoofer cables. I dont really have a yea or nay comment on the highs, other than the fact that they dont sound unpleasing.....and who can tell over the base anyhow. These are actually slated to be my rears when i pick up studio series, with powered subs to use as fronts. It did not take much adjustment to match them up to the S center.

I have to give 5 stars, because if you can pick them up for even close to the price i paid...how can you go wrong..