JBL TLX-151 Floorstanding Speakers

Submitted by Edward a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2000

Bottom Line:
Got them for U-Bid for 60 bucks each landed. Looked nice out of the box. I use them for bass, and put a Bic 52 on top for upper and mid ranges. The Wharfdales knock the snot out of the both of them together. The midrange sound like it was fighting to get thorugh some cotton.

Submitted by Dino a a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 9, 1999

Bottom Line:
I bought a pair of JBL TLX 151s and they are pretty darn good speakers. I'm very dissapointed with the sound out of most of the the tower design/video shielded speakers. The JBL 151 has a tower look, but are not shielded and is a a true three way speaker with an 8" woofer so at least you get some bass compared to a lot of "reference tower speakers". JBL performs like a pretty solid 3 way speaker. Big to be considered a "bookshelf" at 20" You do need to set them up about a foot up to really appreciate the sound. Nice highs from the titanium tweeters, good punch from the midrange. The bass is lacking for my taste. I am probably going to return them because I'm looking for more bass so I don't have to buy a separate sub. I'm strongly considering picking up the AR-310HO for about $500. It has a side firing 12" woofer. For the price and you don't mind your speakers not video shielded these are pretty nice solid speakers for around $350 at P.C. Richards. Bottom line, these speakers have a real nice mid range punch, a little weak on the bass, great treeters, fair price.May want to consider the TLX 171 tower, same exact componets, but the box is about 11" taller.

Duration Product Used:   a Casual Listener

Submitted by Marvin Ngwafon a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 8, 1998

Bottom Line:
The TLX-151's are speakers meant to be used either in a small apartement or as the surrounds in a digital package. They are voice matched with other JBL speakers that have the titanium composite tweeter. I would not, however, recommend this to someone looking for deep bass or glass breaking highs. If you are in the market for small bookshelf speakers, these will blow the woofers out of the Bose 301v. They provide decent seperation(for the price and they handle up to 125 watts so your average Best Buy or Circuit City reciever will do just fine.

Submitted by Sid V a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 29, 1997

Bottom Line:
I just bought a pair of JBL TLX151's from my local best buy for $319/pair. I am in the process of buying new speakers and am demo-ing various speakers under$1000. I used a Yamaha RXV-2092 receiver, Onkyo DCX-311 CD- Changer, Monster interconnects and Monster speaker wires. I plopped these speakers on sanus stands as they are a book shelf model. They are a 3-way design with a 8" woofer, 4" midrange and a titanium tweeter.My initial impressions were that these are a decent low budget speakers. The sound staging seemed adequate, bass was good thanks to the 8" woofer and the speakers sounded spacious. They sounded better on rock/alternative than classical where they were restrained. Imaging was not very good, and probably could be improved by placement experimentation. Also I did get listeners fatigue after about 1/2 hour of listening to these speakers. Summing up, I think for a budget set up these are adequate speakers.