JBL TLX-121 Floorstanding Speakers

2.8/5 (5 Reviews)

Bookshelf loudspeakers

Submitted by Matthew Trethewey a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
I use these to mix with in a recording studio. Bang for buck these speakers are great. They like to be played loud so make them happy. I would recommend these to home buyers. Don't get me wrong there not Genelecs

Submitted by Edward a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2000

Bottom Line:
Got them from U-Bid, got hosed on the freight, 27 bucks for the speaker, 49.72 landed. If you are looking for a speaker for a starter system, or your receiver is not the greatest, these would be fine. I hooked them up to my Denon receiver, and they sounded like someone stuffed them with cotton. I packed them back up and gave them away as a present. The ARC's are not much better, they may used a little less cotton. The 151's I use for bass, and the bic 52's I put on top of the 151's for mid and upper ranges. The Wharfdales you would have to pry from may cold dead hands, but that review is over in the 'W' section.

Submitted by Larry Mundy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2000

Bottom Line:
I understand the entire TLX line has been discontinued, so if you're looking at these, you're probably at a clearance house or online site like uBid, where these routinely have been sold in the $20-30 range each. At that price they're definitely a deal, but there is a better one if you also see the JBL ARC 30's (also discontinued I think) available. I have bought 2 pairs of each and for the $5 more each I paid for the ARC 30's they are vastly better than the TLX-121's. More power handling, deeper low end (although neither one will shake things off your bookshelf), better cabinet detail, equivalent or better tweeter.

Submitted by EMR a a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 26, 1999

Bottom Line:
Nothing spectacular, but nice for the price $100 for the pair at Costco. At that price point, you probably can't do better. 3 stars for sound, and an extra star for value.

Duration Product Used:   a Casual Listener

Submitted by Alain Canizares a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 16, 1998

Bottom Line:
Nice bass. Crisp treble. Only flaw I noticed is the midrange, which is a bit dark. Good speakers for the budget though.