JBL SVA-1800 Floorstanding Speakers

4.71/5 (38 Reviews) MSRP : $1400.00

Floor Tower Speaker

Submitted by Joseph Dunphy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2011

Bottom Line:
I have to admit I bought these to give them a try along side my Magnepan 1.6qr panels. I have ran kef 104/2 ADS L710 ,L810 . And Advents,jbl L110,Green Mountain, Snell,Allison, Polk Audio RTA12,and many others. I thought the SVA1800 would not make the grade for two channel listening. But I was mistaken. They are power hungry and My Parasound A21 amp makes them capable of great sound. I ran a 15" powered velodyne to extend the bass. The people at JBL DID A GREAT JOB! The sound is incredible and I decided to keep them. The soundstage is great as well as the high end. The mids are good and the sound is very well layed out. It's like a well made set of speakers that are worth keeping. They need a powered sub for sure and the mids are great but not perfect . But when I turn on the power they come alive like you at a live concert. Very impressive addition and the sound is eye opening. Cables and a good pre is a must as well as a dac and transport. Can't wait to run my 18" sub with these.

Submitted by filecat13 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2004

Bottom Line:
Originally I bought one of these to use as a center channel (yes, really) for my main HT set up, with L7s and L5s at the corners. Later, another one popped up on eBay, so I purchased it, too.

When I upgraded my HT to JBL Perfromance Series speakers all around, the SVA 1800s were destined to go, but I decided to hook them up to an old receiver and see what they could do as a stereo pair.

Well, what they can do is crack your head open and push your brain out against the back wall. You want to talk about LOUD? Or maybe you want to talk about presence and detail? Well, then they have that in abundance as well.

Music that's very well recorded sounds absolutely awesome, yet can be beautifully detailed and clear at the same time. Music that's poorly recorded wil sound just that, poorly recorded. There's no masking here to cover it up; it is what it is.

The symmetrical vertical array (SVA) is a novel approach that has a lot of merit for pinpoint imaging and excellent control of the soundstage. These heavy, powerful beasts need that kind of discipline, and it all works out well for an exciting, wonderful experience.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by James a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2000

Bottom Line:
I love these speakers. I have had them for around a year now, and they NEVER have disappointed me. I tried to rotate them and one of the rear spikes tore out, but I must admit that it's probably my fault (They were on heavy carpet.) Great product, get a pair while you can! JUST BETTER LISTENING

Submitted by Buck a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2000

Bottom Line:
After 20 years of BOSE 601's, I figured it was time to upgrade my speakers, as I had recently purchased a JVC Surround Sound (100w x4) receiver. Almost broke my back getting them to my family room, as they are VERY heavy. Before I replaced my Bose with the JBL's, I played music on the Bose, then switched over and replayed the same things on the JBL's. I could hear new sounds coming out the JBL's I hadnt heard before..with much more depth and authority.
The bass and lows (I have unplugged my sub) are so HEAVY and clean! The highs are somewhat lacking, but I cant blame these JBL's for that. One song that I thought would put these speakers to the test was YES - America. It passed the test with flying colors. It had a total soundstage affect on me. I think one reason the high's are lacking is with the new music (Alt & Heavy genre). The newer music is more of the "in your face" type, and not geared for the highs. If you like it downright HEAVY, these are your ticket. I also can NOT describe how well these bad boys sound while watching the latest movies. This is the best money I've spent in a LONG LONG TIME!

Submitted by yogi a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2000

Bottom Line:
the sva 1600/1800 are the best heavy metal speakers that money can buy. they have been discontinued but can still be purchased from ubid for a very reasonable price. please buy some before its too late.