JBL S36 Floorstanding Speakers

4.89/5 (18 Reviews) MSRP : $449.00

1" Pure-titanium dome with EOS™ waveguide Midrange Driver 4" PolyPlas™ cone Low-Frequency Driver 6" PolyPlas™ cone Dimensions (H x W x D)

Submitted by jml1516 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2003

Bottom Line:
Use them as front speakers in my surround system and I couldn't be happier. If you want some bass add a sub. I have them mounted on the wall and they match our wall color pretty close (offwhite). I'm not an adiophile so I can't speak to their clarity compared to others. But they are compact for 3ways, and they sound good to me.

Purchased At:   JandR

Submitted by Tony a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
Matched with excellent Onkyo and NAD equipment that has made maggies others sing, I unfortunately found a lot of real emotion in the speakers. They sound somewhat forced and clear emphasis of certain frequencies (probably near the crossover points) exists even when mounted on isolated stands, never mind how the wall colors the sound. Excellent for the money though so
good value rating, but there are clearly
better products out there. Of course I'm
not getting paid by JBL and my choices are n't limited, so I have an unfettered ear. I sold them 1 month later for some real speakers for the guest room.
Could have relegated them to surround duty but others are smoother there as well.

Purchased At:   Online store

Submitted by Hank a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2002

Bottom Line:
I can't say enough good things about this surprising speaker. Bought it to use as rears, put it on top of my front speaker to see how it sounds, and it has stayed there since! Works a treat with my Paradigm PS1000 subwoofer. Good for both HT and stereo. Articulation, rhythm and timing of music from these speakers are very clear and enjoyable.

The front speakers my S36's are now sitting on are no slouch either - Dynaudio 20's which cost more than twice as much.

I've owned lots of speakers, but this one is the most impressive for the money.

Submitted by Russ a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
Installed the AW (all-weather) version this week in my house. Chose AW (rather than black) because they are an inconspicous off-white color and blend in very well with the living room walls. Hardly noticeable. The best instructions I have ever seen with a consumer electronics item. Speakers are mounted high in a large room with 17 foot ceilings. I am using them only for straight 2-channel stereo (running them off the "B" speaker terminals of a Sony Home Theater Receiver). They fill the room well and the bass is more than adequate. These speakers are one of the best designed products that I have ever seen.

Purchased At:   Harman Audio via Eba

Submitted by Frank a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
I purchased a pair of JBL S26 several months ago and love them. I use the S26's with the suberb JBL s-center channel speaker. I wanted to add another pair of JBL studio speakers for the rear surround channels and the S36's seemed like a great choice. They were! They have more detail than the front S26's. They are remarkably detailed and yet natural sounding. The version that I purchased are the indoor/outdoor S36AW. They are the same as the S36 except that this version can also be used outdoors due to weather resistant cabinets. They are wall mountable and JBL supplies template, mounting screws and even a bubble level. Much of the JBL line is medicore. Their Studio Series however, is great! These speakers use the same midrange and tweeter as the costlier S38. Recently, I audtioned the S36's against the Bose 251 which had been widely regarded as the best outdoor speaker on the market. The JBL's outshined the Bose 251's in every area with ease. It wasn't even close! They were two levels better than the Bose. I strongly recommend these terrific speakers to anyone looking for what is possibly the best and most versatile speaker available.