JBL S312 Floorstanding Speakers

4.54/5 (108 Reviews) MSRP : $900.00

Sensitivity: 92 Impedance (ohms): 8 Bass Driver: 12" PolyPlas™ Midrange Driver: 4" PolyPlas™ High Frequency Driver: 1" Pure Titanium dome 35Hz -- 20kHz Crossover Frequency(ies):750, 3000Hz

Submitted by dareo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2013

Bottom Line:
I now own 3 pairs of this line of speakers from JBL. Two S312ii and one S310ii. They are very efficient producers of clean sound. The highs can come across as a bit harsh to some people. They certainly play louder and brighter than anything i've compared them against. With a good amp, they will produce excellent bass. I use a subwoofer in 2/3 rooms but one could live without a sub with the S312ii and even the S310ii in smaller rooms.

The sound quality is quite good for this price range. Speakers costing thousands of dollars each will likely sound better, but for a few hundred bucks these really shine.

12" woofers are hard to find in newer speakers anymore. Having found all three pairs of these for under $200 used; i am quite happy. 3 rooms have good sound and it didn't break the bank.

Submitted by Studioplayer a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2013

Bottom Line:
Critical listening from an untrained ear that probably can`t tell flat from sharp using a low power amp. hahaha
To drive these speaker properly you need a real amp with 300WPC RMS then they come alive.
As a Professional Jazz musician with a trained ear I hear harmonics 90% of you will never hear and my ear along will my fellow musicians, tells me these are some of the finest budget speaker you will find anywhere and will hold there own against speakers costing 5 times as much. That is why we Pro`s use JBL in the studio and on the road. My hats off to Greg Timbers and his staff.

Submitted by Gioxtream a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2009

Bottom Line:
OK GUYS...I AM GOING TO BE BRUTALLY HONEST.....THESE ARE THE BEST BUDGET SPEAKERS AND THEY CAN REALLY BEAT A FEW SPEAKERS IN THE $ 6000 PRICES.

NOW....THERE IS AN UPGRADE FOR THESE SPEAKERS FOR THOSE WHO ARE AUDIOPHILES LIKE ME....I KNOW YOU LOVE THE SOUND OF THE JBL S312 ...BUT WHAT ABOUT UPGRADING THE CROSSOVERS.....

HERE IS A VIDEO OF AN UPGRADE ON THE WAY...I BELIEVE IS GOING TO REALLY GOOD FOR THE JBLS312

CHECK IT OUT......

Submitted by ivo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2008

Bottom Line:
I bought these speakers couple of years ago but really never got myself to find a way to explore its potential, till couple of days ago when i had a friend give me his Carver - sunfire 300 power Amp.Well I was blown away with the performance of the speakers.
The 312 generally says max 250 at 8 ohms ,,,though the 300 watt rms amp chur ns out more than needed to have an astounding speaker system.
I have picked up the sunfire 300 at a good deal and wud def sugest the same for any one looking to harness the power of the JBLS312.

Purchased At:   Oman

Submitted by TomW a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2005

Bottom Line:
Very good speakers for the money! I dont get what some are complaining about: "not good for home theatre", true you need a sub to get the very lowest bass. "No soundstage", Are you kidding, these have a fantastic soundstage & image good too. "The highs are too shrill", since your an "audiophile" you should know that any good speaker needs breaking in!! True these are not an audiophile speaker. "Audiophile speakers" have a tendency to be super revealing, these are not. Hence the name "Studio Monitors", they produce whats on the recording, not exagerate it. I sold a pair of "audiophile" speakers i had, which cost about three times as much becuase they did'nt sound right to me. "I would rather have a speaker that does everything good, than one that does a couple of things great"! These are also not the fastest in terms of sound reprodution (speed). I had a pair of Klipsch KSF 10.5 that were faster, but i chose the JBL's becuase of the limited dispertion of the 10.5's. The power rating says up to 250watts & i've run them with a 300wpc pro amp, which i used to burn them in. It's my belief that you should ALWAYS burn speakers in before critical listening. With thier high sensitivity of 92dbs i have run them with everything from a 3.5wpc SE amp, 10wpc PP, 100wpc tube hybrid, & my fav now a 25-50wpc all tube Quicksilver Monos. I have never noticed harsh highs when new, but the biggest improvement IMO is the bass extention. They do most music well...except for pop which the bass will seem weak, UNLESS you use a good (high power) amp. I would give these a value rating of 5, but the grills are very cheap & break easily. Other than that, build quality is good with very heavy binding post & non resonant cabinets. If they were bi-wirable, that would also solve any lack of bass issues also.

Purchased At:   800.com

JBL s312 UPGRADE POSSIBLE ?????

[FONT="Arial Black"][COLOR="#000000"][/COLOR][/FONT] THANKS TO ALL FOR ALL THE HELP PROVIDED IN THIS FORUM. I BEEN VERY HAPPY WITH MY JBL S312 STUDIO SERIES....I BEEN GETTING DRUNK ON THEM MANY TIMES.THEY LEFT ME WITH A HAPPY FEELING ALL THE TIME. I RUN THEM WITH A YAMAHA RX-V1400... ... Read More »