JBL LX2 Floorstanding Speakers

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Submitted by hyperpsyched a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2006

Bottom Line:
Sometimes you really do get lucky on eBay. I have had these speakers for amost 4 months (bought on eBay for 50 Euros with shipping in almost new condition :) and right off the bat I was totally surprised at how musical the speakers are. I started out driving them with a small Rotel RA-921 and even with this smallish amp they sounded very good (it is after all a Rotel). While the soundstage was not terribly deep it was definately there, nice and wide. I really liked that little Rotel, it was a great match for the speaker at only 25 watts RMS. That little amp could kick though.
I later found a NAD 306 on eBay tucked amongst some old Kenwood components (including a direct drive linear tracking turntable in great condition) in almost mint condition. I paid 75 euros for the bunch and the Rotel was sold, bless its little transformer of a heart. With a little more power the speakers really came into their own. Nice base! And the treble; cymbal crashes are so tight! I did some further tweaking to my speaker stands and they sounded a little better still.
The biggest single improvement to the sound of these speakers and my system (and it sounded pretty good to begin with ;) was the addition of better speaker cables. I did my homework and built myself a set of speaker cables to rival anything out there for under 1000 Euros (and probably mush higher ;). The addition of better cables was simply breath taking. The speakers really opened up. The soundstage is much sharper and deeper; I really get lost in the music now. The bass is drum tight; no weird distortion, boominess, nothing like that. And the range I am getting out of the tweeters now is outstanding! Of course this is no subwoofer but then for my little apartment a big subwoofer would just sound boomy. I have them close enough to the wall to allow for acoustic coupling, thus enhancing the base without need for a subwoofer. They are not lacking in the base department, put it that way. They are also toed in a little to the listening position. This seems to help focus the soundstage to the point where it rolls off well to either side of the loudspeaker. You get a real wall of sound effect and instruments are easily placeable in 3 dimensions.
Anyway, long story short... these speakers are definately worth picking up. They are bigger than your average bookshelf (40 cm tall and almost 30 deep) and will definately benefit from your not using that crappy bulk gold speaker wire you were about to hook them up with. Look up "D.I.Y speaker cable" on google and get ready to move to the next level of sonic bliss!

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Richard Kirpal a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2003

Bottom Line:
Man, I have to say that these speakers completely will surprise you in overall performance rationally (price/quality)!
I have a studio and have the most demanding gear (i.e. Triton studio Pro-x, Virus C) and I perfectly & completely can work with its clarity.
People who also know these speakers know what I mean.

Purchased At:   RAF