JBL LX 20 Floorstanding Speakers

3.33/5 (3 Reviews)

Submitted by Chris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2000

Bottom Line:
I use the JBL LX-22's as my rear speakers in my home audio system. They are quite effective for this purpose and may be even a little better than most HT's need for the rears.

I hooked them up to the fronts to compare them to the Klipsch KG-4's I own, and there is no comparison (and there shouldn't be since the Klipsch cost twice as much). They lack depth and are very harsh with anything over 8 KHz (or about 8 KHz, I can't be that precise).

My Dad got some $99 Yamaha's and put them in the back of his home theatre, so I borrowed them - again no comparison. The Yamaha's were just awful and I'm not sure if they are even good enough for rear speakers.

So if you can find these used at a good price, I say go for them. If my memory serves me correctly, I bought these in 1991 for about $230/pair.

Submitted by Carl a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2000

Bottom Line:
Yeah, these speakers are ok. I build a cheaper surround from
Sony DSP930 (don't remember if it's the correct model, but the more expencive one) and six of these LX 20's and I must
say, that the surround sound is good. You can't really say
where the back speakers are.

The sound itself isn't perfect, but for me this is enouch.
The Mirage PS30 subwoofer was a waste of money though. Doesn't work with these speakers. Subwoofer itself is ok,
but it sounds too much different, when the tones cross.

A good value for the money, if you used them for viewing movies.

(Kef Coda 9 was better though)

Submitted by Kristian Paakkunainen a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 19, 1999

Bottom Line:
I've been using JBL LX-20 speakers for a year now and i think they are the best speakers money can buy in that price class. I use a Sony TA-FA30ES amplifier and Supra Ply 2.0 speaker cables in order to get the best sound from my speakers. About one month from this day a REL Q100E subwoofer will be joining the JBL LX-20 speakers to make sure the bass extends even lower than it does now. The speakers can go only as low as 48Hz. The JBL LX-20 have won a test done by a finnish audiophile magazine called HIFI. These speakers are ideal for listening to rock music. I read somewhere that REL subwoofers and JBL speakers form a good audio system that kicks HARD.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile