JBL LSR 32 Floorstanding Speakers

3-way passive studio monitor

Submitted by Carlton a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
I purchased this speaker used via Audiogon.com for $1200.I power the speakers with a 250 watt Bryston 4b-ST power amp with a Cal cd player.These speakers are true professional reference midfield studio monitors,not really designed for home use.What makes them attractive for home use is they are actually designed for close proximity to rear walls.In my listening room I have them spaced about 10 feet apart and 6 inches from the rear wall behind them.This helps balance out their sound and adds bass weight to the bottom end. They have a nice flat frequency response from bottom to top, with treble somewhat subdued.It's strange but the sound is similar to my AR 303's, though the Lsr32's have much better detail and clarity.Most audiophiles will agree that the Bryston 4b power amp is a sledge hammer.This amp will literally rip a woofer apart if it's not well built,especially small (6 to 8 inchers).It offers iron grip control of the woofers in the JBL speakers,bass transients is similar to a well designed acoustic suspension speaker.The JBL Lsr32's and the AR 303's are two speakers that didn't cost me a small fortune, but will offer nearly life like dynamics in a room with little hardening of the sound.It's unbelievable how loud and clean these speakers will sound with a powerful,clean amp.The JBL's have greater bass volume and punch but the AR 303's have much deeper bass(it can really shake a room's foundation!). The AR's also have a slightly more neutral sound. I value my hearing and did this only to test the speakers dynamic range.The JBL's sound simply fantastic even at very low listening levels.If you want a superbly built speaker that's accurate I highly recommend the JBL lsr32's.

Purchased At:   Audiogon.com

Submitted by Kumaravel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have listened to so many high end speakers but none of those perform like JBL LSR32. I came to know about these speakers from JBL website and by seeing the specifications of these speakers I understood it would be best speakers in the world. I bought it even without auditioning it. When I installed these speakers they sounded so bad. I knew it wasnt speakers mistake. Then I understood that it was becoz of room walls , ceiling and flooring which were messing up the music. Then I made acoustic treatment to my walls and ceiling. There was immediate change in quality of sound from these speakers it was sounding better now but not at its best. I knew these speakers can perform much better. Then I understood that I should upgrade my electronics driving these speakers. I was having Pionner DVD player and a CREST AUDIO CA4 power amplifier hooked to these speaker. Then I bought another CREST AUDIO CA4 power amplifier. I bridged both the amplifiers to drive these speakers and I was amazed to hear the sound quality from these speakers. The speakers started performing its best. I was surprised to hear the power of these speakers. But I still felt that these speakers can perform much more well by delivering finer details of the music. Then I decided to buy a pre amp. I bought PARASOUND P/HP- 850 stereo amplifier. Now I feel that Im hearing the best quality from my speakers. With these set up my speakers gimme lots of pleasure. Im enjoying listening all my cd collections now.

Techinally speaking these speakers deliver very tight bass, clean midrange and smooth highs. They never fail to give the perfect sound quality.

When considering its price I would say its the cheapest for the quality it delivers. Im sure these speakers are better and lot more cheaper than the audiophile brands.

Im surprised that why there aint much reviews about these speakers. I advice all music lovers who wish to buy audiophile brand speakers must audition these speakers. Im sure they will never look out for anyother speakers once they audition these.

Hats off to JBL engineers for briging out such wonderful speakers.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Submitted by RON ROCCO a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
CALL WEST L.A. MUSIC AND ASK FOR MARK SPEVAK THE MANAGER. HE WILL GIVE YOU THE BEST DEAL ON THESE SPEAKERS.
BUY 5 FOR SUROUND SOUND OR TWO FOR STEREO.
THIS IS THE BEST SPEAKER EVER BUILT BY J.B.L.
GET A PAIR AS SOON AS YOU CAN BEFORE THEY DOUBLE THE PRICE.

Purchased At:   WEST L.A. MUSIC

Submitted by Barry Stem a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
These are just like REG said in TAS: an $8,000 speaker that you can buy for a fraction of that price. Audition them in your home or studio and be amazed at all the detail and the music you've been missing out on by listening to so-called audiophile brands. I bet you'll not return them if you have good electronics. I'm using mine with the Innersound amp, with an installed attenuator to avoid having to use a preamp. Another secret I've learned is to install a First Impressions wall outlet to plug your gear into for around $50 and sit back and be wowed.

These speakers deliver the beat and the notes in the music and make you pay attention to the lyrics to the songs like few speakers can at any price. They are so well balanced that they are hard to fault. Especially, when you consider that you could have talked out of $5k or more by some audio salon saleperson that brainwashed you into thinking you were cool in buying his or her recommended "high end" speakers, rather than "those JBL things".

Your choice: either buy unwarranted hyped products like no-dynamics Vandersteens and impress your audiophile buddies with the wisdom of your purchase, only later to realize that you are living with a severely veiled sound akin to listening to speakers that are still in their shipping boxes. Or, buy the LSR 32s and enjoy your CDs, concert videos, and LPs as never before.

Purchased At:   Guitar Center

Submitted by George Field a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
These are the high-tech descendents of the JBL 4310/4311/4412 series of 12" 3-way 'bookshelf' studio monitors. Thankfully, they retain none of the boom and sizzle of thier ancestors; in fact the sound is almost laid-back. System features include a baffle board of carbon fibre composite, 24-db/octave crossovers, and transducer cones of carbon fibre, kevlar, and titanium. The cabinets are painted black, and grill covers are not offered.

First, these are real studio monitors, not marketing department branded hi-fi speakers, and they are not sold through regular audio stores. They are designed to provide precise imaging and response for an engineering and production team sitting at a console, not for a room full of partygoers. If you're sitting anywhere on my couch, the soundstage is holographic; get up and walk around, and they're just boxes.

Second, they need to be near a wall to balance bass below 50hz, or to be equalized (which they're designed to handle and which might be a normal part of a studio installation). Mine are about 14" from a back wall on 17" stands and the bottom end is deep and defined without subwoofer thuddiness.

Third, they look like commercial speakers. Your significant other won't be fooled by anything you say otherwise.

Fourth, they sound great with good electronics and recordings and they sound crappy with bad. I started out with NAD/Yamaha components and they were unremarkable. I've since upgraded to an Arcam CD player, an Audio Research preamp, and a Bryston power amp, and the difference is amazing. Bi-wiring recommended, and use an amp that can actually drive a 4-ohm load.

I worked in professional sound and high-end audio for many years. These are the most enjoyable speakers I've ever owned and are a total steal at the price. They are precise, dynamic, unmercifully revealing, and they sound best a realistic volumes. They're not for everybody, but that's part of the appeal.

Purchased At:   Mars Music