JBL L80T Floorstanding Speakers

3 way floorstander

Submitted by limp hot dog a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2017

Bottom Line:
As another has said, get the tweeter up to ear level with stands. It is a titanium, and may sound harsh with some solid state amps. I use an Aragon solid state amp, or one of my higher power tube amps. The efficiency is not great, so clean high power amps are good. There is a small noticeable lag to the bass, it does not keep up with the mid or tweet because it is a heavy cone driver. All the more reason to use an amp that can handle the bass. Try tilting the cabinet back a little, to help with the time alignment. These are keepers, I am keeping mine. Can be had on the used market for 400 or less at this time. In a vintage set up, you will have a great pair of speakers that can handle all kinds of music. Better value and sound than the very large L 100t that i sold, because that speaker has a larger woofer, and the slow bass is even more of an issue ( it was to me anyway).

Submitted by Joe Sez a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2012

Bottom Line:
Been over 30 years since I purchased my L-80T's @ "Sounds Great". I paid around $700 for the pair way back when. I love these speakers. I drive them hard. I had the low end drivers replaced once by an authorized JBL dealer because the suspension dried out. I have them incorporated into my 7.1 surround system as the front L/R. I enjoy them as much today as the day I bought them. The finish is like new and the clean contemporary walnut veneer design does not look out of place. They rock.

Submitted by stevespl3 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2009

Bottom Line:
Jbl L80t, I inherted these from my father we have had them for over 20 years. I have pounded these speakers to every genre of music that i have enjoyed listening to, and have found that I have a deep admiration for these speakers.

Submitted by jayray a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2007

Bottom Line:
To be honest, I don't remember exactly how much I paid for these speakers because I bought them in 1986 or '87...20 years ago! I'm placing my guess in the $800 range because of another reviewer's $800 price tag from Circuit City (C.C. and Best Buy have always been competitive). Fast forward to 2007 and the speakers are still in mint condition and still sound great. Matter of fact, I drive them with a relic Onkyo Integra amplifier purchased at the same time. Added to my old warhorse system is a Denon single disc CD player and an Onkyo equalizer, both purchased in 1990. The L80T's have experienced it all from classical to country and from heavy metal to Sinatra. At ear-busting or barely audible levels, these speakers have really performed for me.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by mraysounds a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2005

Bottom Line:
JBL L 80t's... very musical, powerfull, excellent speakers with sparkling midrange, very detailed, clear and clean sound, loady bass and shiny tweeters. I've never assumed that these speakers can give this musical and very detailed sound according to its old fashioned, heavy look. I've surely expected the bass boost when listening to 80's rock (Dire Straits!) because of it's 20 inch loady, puchy shaped bass and a very heavy look but never expected this much of accurate and proper sound as well as many studio monitors when listening to Requem of Mozart or New Orleans kind of jazz. L 80T is of course more "long term" listenable to the studio monitors when compared, but you don't need them if you want easy and "smooth" listening when compared to home speakers at that price... it has shortly noticable timing problems, needs lots of space at least 24m square, 80cm's at least from the walls, you have to use a stand (never mind that it's a floor standing speaker)20 - 25 cm to balance the tweeter with your ear... and it sounds too shiny if you don't have the right amp. The amp. L 80T's need has to be between 50 - 100 Watts with 8 Ohm. It has to be a very smooth but sweet sounding amp. (i use it with Bryston power and pre.)
And if you give what this speaker needs, you surely receive the accurate, detailed sound with "every kind" of music. Never listened a speaker both usable as home speakers and studio reference monitors under this price (I bought them for 750$ but easly can be found much cheaper... for 500$ in US). I'm also shocked with so "little information" or NO-reviews given about these speakers in Internet or magazines. Are they so un- noticable? I beleive- not.

Purchased At:   Istanbul