JBL L80T Floorstanding Speakers

3 way floorstander

Submitted by Joe Sez a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2012

Bottom Line:
Been over 30 years since I purchased my L-80T's @ "Sounds Great". I paid around $700 for the pair way back when. I love these speakers. I drive them hard. I had the low end drivers replaced once by an authorized JBL dealer because the suspension dried out. I have them incorporated into my 7.1 surround system as the front L/R. I enjoy them as much today as the day I bought them. The finish is like new and the clean contemporary walnut veneer design does not look out of place. They rock.

Submitted by stevespl3 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2009

Bottom Line:
Jbl L80t, I inherted these from my father we have had them for over 20 years. I have pounded these speakers to every genre of music that i have enjoyed listening to, and have found that I have a deep admiration for these speakers.

Submitted by jayray a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2007

Bottom Line:
To be honest, I don't remember exactly how much I paid for these speakers because I bought them in 1986 or '87...20 years ago! I'm placing my guess in the $800 range because of another reviewer's $800 price tag from Circuit City (C.C. and Best Buy have always been competitive). Fast forward to 2007 and the speakers are still in mint condition and still sound great. Matter of fact, I drive them with a relic Onkyo Integra amplifier purchased at the same time. Added to my old warhorse system is a Denon single disc CD player and an Onkyo equalizer, both purchased in 1990. The L80T's have experienced it all from classical to country and from heavy metal to Sinatra. At ear-busting or barely audible levels, these speakers have really performed for me.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by mraysounds a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2005

Bottom Line:
JBL L 80t's... very musical, powerfull, excellent speakers with sparkling midrange, very detailed, clear and clean sound, loady bass and shiny tweeters. I've never assumed that these speakers can give this musical and very detailed sound according to its old fashioned, heavy look. I've surely expected the bass boost when listening to 80's rock (Dire Straits!) because of it's 20 inch loady, puchy shaped bass and a very heavy look but never expected this much of accurate and proper sound as well as many studio monitors when listening to Requem of Mozart or New Orleans kind of jazz. L 80T is of course more "long term" listenable to the studio monitors when compared, but you don't need them if you want easy and "smooth" listening when compared to home speakers at that price... it has shortly noticable timing problems, needs lots of space at least 24m square, 80cm's at least from the walls, you have to use a stand (never mind that it's a floor standing speaker)20 - 25 cm to balance the tweeter with your ear... and it sounds too shiny if you don't have the right amp. The amp. L 80T's need has to be between 50 - 100 Watts with 8 Ohm. It has to be a very smooth but sweet sounding amp. (i use it with Bryston power and pre.)
And if you give what this speaker needs, you surely receive the accurate, detailed sound with "every kind" of music. Never listened a speaker both usable as home speakers and studio reference monitors under this price (I bought them for 750$ but easly can be found much cheaper... for 500$ in US). I'm also shocked with so "little information" or NO-reviews given about these speakers in Internet or magazines. Are they so un- noticable? I beleive- not.

Purchased At:   Istanbul

Submitted by BretFraz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2005

Bottom Line:
I've owned these speakers since 1986, when I bought them as an employee of Circuit City. At the time they were a highly regarded speaker best suited for rock and blues. To this day those are the best music types for these speakers.

Like others have said, technology and consumer preferences have passed by these speakers. By today's standards the L80T is rather inefficient, needing a high powered/high current amp to really drive them. Hook them up to something like a Harman Kardon amp, throw some hard rock in the CD player, and be amazed at how well these speakers reproduce the sound. What some people complain about harsh highs from the titanium tweeters become an accurate shimmer of cymbals and other percussion. The 10" woofer does a great job of bass reproduction, perfect to feel that kick drum or the low octaves from a bass guitar.

The speakers are physically large and heavy. They look out of place compared with the modern, sophisticated, plasma screen high tech image of modern electronics. They look and feel like a 1970's design because they are. No point in whining about it or expecting them to live up to a performance and style standard that simply did not exist when they were designed - the speakers are what they are.

I use mine in my all-JBL surround sound system and they work OK. I agree with the other reviewers who say they are very position-dependent. And home theater-type vocal reproduction is average.

Yeah, there are lots of speakers that are more versatile and perform better than the JBL L80T. But I'd hope speaker mfr's would have improved their products since the late 70's. Someday I'll replace my L80T's with something more "21st century", but I only hope whatever new speaker I buy will rock the house as well as these.

Purchased At:   Circuit City