JBL L3 Floorstanding Speakers

(See reviews)

Submitted by audioguru a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2009

Bottom Line:
ok, I found a pair of these speakers on craigslist for $120. I quickly went to audioreview to see the reviews There were several very positive reviews from folks that had experience with some serious audioproducts. Still, it was kind of hard to believe. There was also a bad review, but it was so bad, i had to discount it.

Anyway, i bought the speakers and the guy who demo'd them had them hooked up to a 30 watt amplifier and he also had bunch of strange equipment. I was less than impressed. Also, it was off putting that the speakers came with a cheap plastic base.

well, i got them home and i agree with several reviewers that said this speaker doesn't do anything really incredibly, but it does everything very well (well, mostly) and the overall presentation snatched my rapt attention. i usually play some music in the background, but when i put several discs on this, the music became center stage.

it is great with subtle sounds, it's great at giving each instrument it's own "space" in the soundstage. I would say all of the songs sounded "decompressed" and "unfolded" like the music was literally blooming out of the speakers. the imaging was great, i got the impression that the music was moving back and forth and hanging in the air in the way the artists intended.

some things this speaker does, doesn't sound right. but the vast majority of what it does, comes through so authentically, that it makes you question if the speaker is wrong, or the original recording.

In any event, these are the speakers i will use (i also have vandersteen's and klipsch) when i have non-audiophile friend come by and i want to blow them away.

in all respects, an absolute steal for $120. there's magic in these speakers.

Submitted by dogboy_from_nz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2004

Bottom Line:
I have had the JBL L3's for some 10 years now. Used to run them with a 75watt Yamaha amp, but now use a 100w yamaha. These speakers have amazing depth and clarity and friends who visit can't believe they are 10 years old. Amazing speakers for thier strenght and long lasting quality. Since upgrading to full surround, I thought may have to change, but to my delight they are flawless for home theater. At the moment they are placed a little to close to the walls, and can get a boomy effect on low bass notes, but thats where the wife says have to be. To get the best out of these speakers they need loads of power ( I still need more) and placement makes big differeneces in sound. I listen to a variety of music and dvd from thrash metal to opera, these babies are great for everything and when you hear quality recording through these you will be blown away.

Purchased At:   tonezone matamata ne

Submitted by Richard75 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2002

Bottom Line:
These speakers are the bomb! I run them with harman/kardon citation 21 & 22 and give them the ampere they want to produce awsome sound. The accuracy, live and well balanced sound makes you wanna listen more and more. You don't need a sub to feel the low bass cause the L3's take care of everything. I had a pair of L5's before and they didn't sound as good as the L3. I even have a pair of L1's and they are very good to but lack a bit when it comes to very low bass....but they produce a very satisfying sound with it's 6,5" bass element. I love JBL and especially the L3's....

Submitted by binoj matthew a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2001

Bottom Line:
I've compared it to $1800 speakers from Energy's top-of-the-line Veritas series......and they don't even come close. I'm in the hunt for speakers for a second system that I am creating and so I've been auditioning quite a few systems. My respect for these old war-horses grows every time I hear some of the overpriced nonsense that's out there. So much is made based on "name". Hook these up to a good amp or a receiver thats capable of driving 'em (>100 watts..continuously) and you'll get a very satisfying sound. Couple these to a reasonable sub and you'll be blown away.

Purchased At:   circuit city

Submitted by Ray b a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2001

Bottom Line:

I use mine as surrounds. Believe me they would also make an excellent Main.Specs. 35HZ to 27KHZ impressive especially for a two way speaker with a 8 inch sub.Guaranteed to blow any surround speaker off the face of the earth.

Purchased At:   Rod Wilson Furn

Hey speaker guru's I NEED HELP! JBL STUDIO S26 or SERIES L3

I'm really out of it. I used to be hip to this stuff back in the 60's but I haven't bought stereo hardware since 1992. SITUATION: I have a set of 8" 2 way L3's purchased in 1992. I just bought a pair of 6" 2 way S26's. I plan to use the subwolfer from my Roland electric drums. Two 10" speakers, powe ... Read More »