JBL L100 t Floorstanding Speakers

4.33/5 (21 Reviews)

three way floorstander

Submitted by jimihendrix a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2013

Bottom Line:
These JBL L100t3's are absolutely positvely worst speakers I've heard. Over, super over bright and the bass is not tight but overstressed. There are no mids, teh mitrange is super tiny and screams in support to Ti lol tweeter.
If you want a nice clean bass and adriculated highs and mids, go with british makes like B&W or Harbeth. It will save harmful wear on your ears, believe me.....

Submitted by Michael Walti a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2012

Bottom Line:
I bought these speakers new in 1988. They have always sounded great but after living in dry climates the original foam surrounds on the 12" woofers disentegrated. After determining that there was no one in Albuquqerque who could repair or replace the surrounds, I was referred to Orange County Speaker, (www.speakerrepair.com), who sent me a set of new surrounds, new gaskets and glue with complete instructions for installation. Total cost $37.90 including shipping. I completed the installation in two days including drying times. The hardest part was cleaning the old foam and glue off the back side of the speaker cone without cutting the cone. Use the original gaskets as recommended if possible. The results are spetacular. I now get the clean 20 hz that they had when new. These L100T's are still the best sounding speakers I have heard and I hope to pass them on to my son when I leave the planet.

Strengths: Clean,lows, mids and tight highs with smooth crossover, excellent imaging and great sound at low volumes.

Weaknesses: Bulky size and low WAF, (Wife Acceptance Factor).

Submitted by rogerwaters a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought these speakers used in 1993. They were manufactured in 1987 and that is when my friend had bought them. Originally I had hooked them upto an HK receiver (can't reacall the model number - 75watts/Channel). They sounded great even with a Sony Discman. Then I bought HK CD player 7525, which made a massive diffrence that I could not beleive. This CD player is one of the best I have heard (underratted) and has such warmth, if you can pick one up. Then I finally upgraded to a 5.1 Onkyo 777 receiver. This is a very good receiver for not just surround sound but also music and sounded better than the HK receiver. The biggest diffrence came from the Citation 21 (pre amp) I picked up for US$87 from ebay last month...and wow...I mean WOW!!! This preamp is a must for anyone who loves sound that is warm. Now I have the HK CD player going though the preamp and the Onkyo being used as the amp to drive the L100T's. Breathtaking sound is the way to discribe it. These speakers have not changed as my main for over 10 years now...they seem to get better as better components are used. I am not sure what thie limit is but will find out soon when I get some McIntosh equipment my x-boss is giving to me (C35 preamp, M 754 amp, MR 7082 tuner)....I will let you know when I get it all hooked up to the L100T's in the next few weeks. I know they will not dissapoint me.

Purchased At:   Friend

Submitted by pdemondo a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
An excellent loudspeaker!!
I got foam rot a couple of years back.
I used a pair of Infinity SM115's while
waiting to get my L100T's fixed. Those
Infinity's were junk compared to the
L100T's! The JBL service center I went
to in El Paso, TX gave me the runaround and
never could even figure out what kit
to get to repair my woofers! They said
they didn't know what model my woofers were.
If they had LOOKED on the drivers it is
there plainly marked: 2114H.
After 6+
months, I took the woofers home and got
a $20 kit on ebay to replace the foam
myself. The kit worked great! I was
back into high fidelity! I was happy
to retire those Infinity SM115s

Purchased At:   Sight and Sound, Bau

Submitted by ddesmeules a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
The most versatile speaker ever made! Played at low volumes, it doesn't fall flat on it's face, (this may also be helped by using an Adcom GFA-555 to run them) then at louder levels they sound brilliant, I am a fan of live music and very few loudspeakers can create the sound of a live performance. This i'm sure hinges on the Fact that the 12" LF drivers on these hunks is taken from JBLs professional series. They have a clarity in the LF range which is not seen in many other speakers, (B&W 801 mkII) but don't think of these as the having the crispiness of a Klipsch Lascala or other horn loaded LF. The midrange is one of the most natural sounding ever, great for reproducing and of the great vocalists out there. The Ti tweeter well it is again very accurate and shows awesome dynamics.