JBL HLS 620 Floorstanding Speakers

4.5/5 (16 Reviews) MSRP : $600.00

Loud Speaker

Submitted by manxral a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2003

Bottom Line:
iv had these speakers for quite some time. and i recently changed a few things in my system. i took home a pioneer elite 45 tx; and a asw b&w subwoofer [10 inch].
the jbl speakers seem to be of timeless ability. they put in the dark a lot of rather new and chic speakers. the small but rather wide sound spread coming from the twiter enables the music to fly across the room with ease and smoothness.
with a sub or without, these speakers are something else, and almost anyone who listens to them is amazed by them.
simply fantastic. if you can find a pare of these, dont ever sell them. they are Priceless.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   lasercity, israel

Submitted by gan ng a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2001

Bottom Line:
HLS 620 FOR SALE $225 + shipping per pair

E-mail gsng01@hotmail.com

Negotiable price

Great Condition, Been using fo HT ot stereo. No defects.

Help me out cause I am upgrading to Martin Logan (high end Speakers)

Purchased At:   best buy

Submitted by RandyB a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is a follow-up from my January post. I have absolutely loved these speakers. But the horns are fragile. When I first brought them home, my wife blew one after about two days. I immediately took the speaker back to BestBuy, and they replaced it. Now, after 8 months, (and a new receiver), both horns are dead. My Onkyo TS-DX777 has never been pushed past THX reference volume. EVER. It's too loud at reference level! Anyway, I am very disheartened. We run 5-channel stereo for CD's, aside from the HT duties.
I wonder if JBL had a bad run of horns.
I have HLS610's for surrounds, and the S-Center; and they are all singing fine.
Now I get to experience JBL's warranty program. Let's see how well they do.
I give a 5 for value, but a 2 for dependability.

Submitted by George Litwinski a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2000

Bottom Line:
I never had any JBLs before and got these as a result of reading the very favorable AUDIO review of the 610s that these are the mini-tower version of...and the nice price, of course.

I have them hooked up to a 55 watt a side Onkyo 4500 stereo receiver and they sound very nice indeed in my office, even under less than ideal placement conditions. I really like the wide dispersion and clarity of the treble. They are fun to listen to. Not quite as bright as my Atoms, but more so than my Super Ones.

There is a little muddiness in the low bass (probably room placement related), so I have to keep the loudness contour off.

Overall, very nice speakers at the $180/pr. price. A screaming bargain, even.

Purchased At:   J&R Music World

Submitted by Matthew Goff a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2000

Bottom Line:
I practically stole these from Best Buy this weekend. $89/each with a 9 year warranty. I have these bad boys hooked up to 120 watts and they rock! The midbass/midrage sounds wonderful with the dual 6.5s and the horn tweet makes music sound more vibrant and improves the imaging. The soundstage with the 620s is awesome.

Just one note: Only try to use the HLS center channel with these speakers. I tried using both a high-end Polk and a middle-of-the-line Infinity and did not have good results. The 620s were much brighter and had more definition than the other centers (and consequently made the center sound like crap). I hunted down a HLS center channel on the net and finally had a good match.

As far as weaknesses go, the grills are ugly in my opinion and seem frail. The construction of the speaker cabinet seems a bit weak. The fiberboard seems a bit thin (especially when compared to higher-end speakers), but I can live with all this. The sound is awesome, and the price is even better... Would recommend to anybody with 100+ watts per channel... These guys aren't very efficient.