JBL G400 Floorstanding Speakers

4.25/5 (8 Reviews)

Submitted by Blake Williams a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2008

Bottom Line:
I just took possession of the G-440s and hooked them up to my Marantz 1060. Not bad. These are not the studio monitor JBLs but they do sound decent. The bass isn't defined like some of JBL's other boxes but I kinda like the coloration. These speakers could definitely use the tweeter and midrange adjustments in the crossovers. Come on guys, every room is different. These are very believable speakers and quite large.

Not bad. I have a pair of JBL L-26's which I use in my home production studio and I have yet to find another pair of speakers to replace them. The L-26's are over 30 years old but still image like no others that I can afford. For some reason, JBL's 2 way crossover speakers image like a pair of headphones. The G-400's actually image nicely. I purchased the G-400s in hopes of replacing the L-26's but the jury is still out.

Purchased At:   Craig's List

Submitted by LPPZ a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2004

Bottom Line:
These have been my main stereo speakers for about 8 years. I was impressed by the sound at the price. The tweeters have now burned out, and I anticipate spending from $80 to $100 to replace them. Previously, I have used smaller floor-standing JBLs (L60Ts), as well as BIC Venturi units.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by michael benjaminj a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
I purchased my speakers about six years ago and they have seen heavy use. They held up for quite awhile. I also have a good friend that has the same loudspeakers and he has the same problems with them that I do. The first problem we noticed was with the woofer. We both have one woofer that has a slight rattle almost as if it wasn't seated correctly into the cabinet. We noticed this problem within the first year of operation. The boomy bass can be easily corrected with an equalizer(drop the frequency around 120Hz). The other problem is on the high end. My tweeters have been replaced once before with factory JBL parts and they are dead again after about 18 months. JBL replacement parts are widely known as being overpriced. $40 each for the tweeters. My friends tweeters are both shot too, but he decided just to get some new Bose towers. We both have legitimate Sony recievers and I can't find a problem with our systems. I am a Union eletrician by trade and a sound engineer on the weekends. I listen to music attentively and it upsets me that the JBL tweeters don't hold up.

Purchased At:   best buy

Submitted by Morgan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2001

Bottom Line:
i've used these speakers for about 5 years. my dad got them for me as a present for my birthday. cheap man got me the receiver for christmas and the speakers for my birthday that is 5 days after christmas... enough ranting. they've had a great tome the entire time. they're awesome with music. the sound just fills the room. they also have awesome bass. it is so powerful but it could be more accurate. the woofer hits and it seems like there is a delay for the bass to be fired into the room. they're really good for parties and home theatre. when there are people far enough away or you just want your house to shake, these things can do the job.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Christopher McNamara a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2000

Bottom Line:
These are very good speakers. Not excellent. I bought them refurbished from u-bid. I didn't really care about the condtion because they are going in my dorm room at school. Had I bought expensive ones and they had a meeting with beer I would have been pissed. They are large and so is their sound. Definately a good party speaker. If you see them for sale I would recommend purchacing them provided the cost was under $80 a speaker.