JBL Eon Floorstanding Speakers

4.89/5 (9 Reviews)

public address

Submitted by Frank a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
I purchased a pair of the JBL Eons last Winter because they were the right answer to portability and reliability. Instead of renting I just outright bought them to do a large company Christmas party (150+ people) Simply load up your car, arrive, set-up on stands, and presto. The built- in amps save headaches of dealing with external amps on location. I run a Vestax CDX-12 dual CD mixer into a Mackie mixer and run 20 ft. XLR monster cables into each respective speaker. Overall, I'm satisfied but noticed that until now it has taken months now for these speakers to break into more true/warm sound as opposed to being just another loud speaker with the inevitable hiss. My only problem is that my ears are used to hearing more hi-end home stereo gear. Comparing these to B&W, DynAudio, etc. is like comparing a tractor with a sleek sports car! Get the idea? They can be harsh to the audiophile. I'm not satisfied with using these in the home, but will get the job done right when playing these in a larger setting like a rent party. These speakers are worth the money though. To get the warm, full tone with bass out of these I had to use an equalizer in conjunction with the mixer. These speakers are not for the sensitive and critical listener, but are extremely functional for the dollar nevertheless. Oh yeah, they look in place at an Art Gallery opening.

Purchased At:   Guitar Center San Francisco

Submitted by Michael a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought one of these after a lot of research getting opinions from other keyboardists. I play in a LOUD band and needed loud, distortion-free sound. Boy, did I get it!
This box is astonishingly loud and clear, out of ALL proportion to its size. Tight, huge bass and sparkling highs. I won't go on and on raving, I'll simply say that in 20 years of professional playing I've never come close to such a perfect keyboard amp. I'm sure it's just as good for any other use. Good job, JBL!

Purchased At:   Musicians Friend

Submitted by Marin Fisher a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2001

Bottom Line:
I am a mobile Karaoke and am the biggest in the UK. I needed sound quality that would beat everyone else and the JBL speaker did that in grace. If i was to recommend a speaker to anyone i would 100% choose JBL eon 15s. I amp them wit a peavey 250 and they sound so clear and the voice sounds out of this world. they are the dogs doodars. BUY JBL EONS THEY MAKE EVERYTHING ELSE SOUND RUBBISH NO DISTORTION AND THE BASE IS EXCELLENT.

GENERATION KARAOKE

generationkaraoke@yahoo.co.uk

Purchased At:   Classic Karaoke

Submitted by Denny Johnson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2000

Bottom Line:
I do sound as a hobby for bluegrass bands. The bands have many instruments with vocals (guitar, violin, mandolin, banjo, bass + others). The acoustic quality of the instruments are important to maintain and it's difficult to get clear tone without an electronic sound. I mostly mic the instruments and vocals with a few piezo pickups here and there (especially Bass).
I have the unpowered Eon 15" for main speakers. They reproduce the sound accurately and precisely. They project well and cover a wide field. They have a full sound that handles everything from a stand up bass to violin high notes. I get frequent compliments from sophisticated listeners on how good the bands sound. I like them a lot and can't think of any other speaker I would trade for them.
I've had them 2 or 3 years now and they hold up excellently.
I also have a bad back and the 34lb weight with handy handles really helps in the hauling and set up department.
Great Speakers!

Other equip:
EV 1.2 amp (I run mono mains on A and mono monitors on B)
Mackie 1604 VLZ board
Tascam DA 30 MKII DAT

Purchased At:   Metro Sound, St. Paul MN

Submitted by Jeffrey Chin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2000

Bottom Line:
I had to install these using a 1/8" headphone jack w/
my speaker wire. A cinch to install and not portable too!

The bags cost extra. I paid $60 for a pair.
If you DJ, these are a must.

Tripods were included in my purchase so no need to buy
expensive speaker stands. That's another plus in my book =)

The G2 series is out offering +50w & more inputs but since I don't DJ, I don't need them.

Overall, I am happy with my purchase. DVDs as well as
audio CDs sound crystal clear. Excellent buy for the money.
Highly recommended. 2 thumbs up!

Purchased At:   lighttrader.com

Problems with JBL EON 15p1

Hello, I am having trouble with 2 of my JBL EON 15p1s. I don't know too much about speakers so I need a little help...On both speakers the high frequency driver don't work, but the big speaker on the bottom does. 1- The first speaker's HF driver will sometimes play but sometimes the driver will c ... Read More »