JBL D38 Floorstanding Speakers

4.5/5 (10 Reviews)

3-way bookshelf speakers

Submitted by biffmalibu a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2003

Bottom Line:
I use these speakers for stereo listening while at my computer. I am pretty spoiled from the Magneplanars in the living room, but these little speakers sound very good indeed. They rock. Very punchy.

Purchased At:   Local pawnshop

Submitted by Meatsack a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2000

Bottom Line:
These guys who said these had weak bass response, maybe you should crank up the bass on your receiver. these can deliver house rumbling sound. They blow away my brother's KLH speakers, even though those are rated at 300 Watts. Thay come in nice wood cases too, very sturdy. Thanks JBL.

Submitted by satan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2000

Bottom Line:
the jbls have a much better sound than the realistics. they are much cleaner sounding. my only complaint is that they bottom out at 50hz. but that's really not bad for 175 watt 8" CHEAP reasonably compact speakers. the realistics went down to about 40hz. however, the d38s' bass is much tighter. i'm running all four speakers off a radioshack optimus receiver (60wpc). [i know radioshack isn't known for great audio equipment, but this thing was usually $200 or so and i got it new for less than $100.] i'm still running the old realistics for the lower frequency response, but hope to get a sub soon. i'm looking at the BIC d1010r or the KLH asw12.

Submitted by Greg Johnson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2000

Bottom Line:
I'm using the D38 speakers as the surrounds for my home theater system. They work great with DTS DVD and DTS CD that send a lot of sound to the rear speakers. They would do a good job on all 4 corners themselves with a sub & a center.

Submitted by Greg a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2000

Bottom Line:
My old Criterions, a 2-way bass reflex system with 6 1/2"woofer, were great for music in a not too large living room, but didn't match my AR center speaker. The dialog had too much bass. After reading the reviews here, I decided to give the D38 a try. I ordered them from J&R MusicWorld on Feb.1st, and hooked them up on Feb. 2nd. These are so new, the smell of the wood is still floating around. At first I was disappointed with the bass, I expected more. I tweaked the tone controls and bass boost on my receiver, a Sony STR-DE335, and got the sound I was satisfied with, then switched on my subwoofer, Sony SA-W305. Everything was fine, but I still felt that I shouldn't have to go through this for a bit of boom. The fact that the highs and middle was an improvement over my old set was a consolation. While listening to a jazz station this morning (Feb. 5)I thought the sound had changed.I set the tone controls to normal, switched off the bass bost, and the subwoofer. Holy cow, the bass coming from the 38's was great!! I still can't believe a pair of speakers under $100 can sound like this. When I use the sub, I crank it down to the lowest freq. setting and get nice tight bass. Buy these before they're gone. Give them a couple of days to break in, and you will know that you just got the all time bargain.

ProAc D38 Speakers amp compatability

Hi, I have just purchased a set of ProAc D38 speakers, they even make my current Denon 735 65 watt amp, sound magic. I am looking to replace the Denon with something more in line with the Proac quality. Any suggestions as to a suitable amp to work with these spaekers would be appreciated. ... Read More »

Please Add Proac D25 and D38 To Review Site

Hi. I'd like to see the following floorstanding speakers added to the site so people can write reviews: the new Proac D25 and D38 speakers. They are from an established company and are worthy of audiophile attention. These speakers have been out since 2003. Please include so interested parties ... Read More »