JBL CF150 Floorstanding Speakers

4.57/5 (14 Reviews)

325W Max Handling, 15" Woofer, 6" Mid-range, 1" tweeter

Submitted by MusicBoy a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2013

Bottom Line:
I am a former musician who has worked with studio musicians for famous artists. The JBL CF-150's are definitive proof that when it comes to speakers, price is not always an indication of quality. The CF-150's detail, accuracy, range, appearance, and efficiency are as good as they get for anywhere near the price. In fact, despite using cheap components, the CF-150's overall sound quality is very similar to that of the JBL studio monitors, on which certain major studios used to (and may still) mix their albums. Despite pumping these babies with 500-plus watt peaks from a Sansui G-22000, they have not loss their efficiency rating nor sound quality. The cabinet finish (faux wood, of course) maintains its new appearance despite enduring years of direct sunlight. The CF-150's do have negatives; they are cumbersome, heavy, and thusly hard to transport. Shop around because I paid $300 for a factory sealed pair, but certain retailers tried to charge me up to $1,500!

Submitted by Kpmello a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2013

Bottom Line:
I have these CF150 speakers for 12 years by now and I am still very satisfied with its performance. They are hooked to my 6L6 tube amp and they sound very very musical, with great detail throughout the frequency range, even at very low listening volumes. I am a classic and rock music listener, I use from vynil, CD, SACD and blu-ray. I have tried different (newer) JBL tower speakers on my system (looking for potential better performance from the more contemporary designs), although, I could not find any with similar size that could beat the CF150 subjectively speaking (I believe in my ears...). In my humble opinion, the CF150 represented a great value (maybe understimated) when launched and they are realy surving the test of time.

Submitted by Ron a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2012

Bottom Line:
I purchased two of these speakers back in 1981 from a now out-of-business chain called Music-Craft. I am the original owner. These speakers served me well for several years; however, I question the 325 watt rating. Many years ago i ran 250 watts through my speakers and I ended up blowing both of the foam cups in each woofer speaker. I was able to repair tese cups, but they should not have blown in the first place.

Submitted by Pete Hetlinger a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2007

Bottom Line:
I have had the CF150 since early 2000.
As mentioned in the previous reviews, these speaker systems are tremendous with rock, blues, country & jazz.
I also listen to a lot of classical music, and the CF150 does a great job reproducing classical music with great finesse.
I am driving the CF150 with a 250 wpc amp. The sound is effortless.
I highly recommend the CF series and they should be a huge bargain as of mid-2007.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by CyboLinx a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
id have to say that these speakers are rock solid ...i bought them with fried tweeters witch isnt a problem cause i got a set of (titanium ferofluid) new ones from a local store and mounted them on the original tweeter grills and they match the sound reproduction of the rest of the speaker. i honestly didnt know what i was getting for the price i paid $300cdn...im truly amaised at the responce and the accuacy of these ...i like alot of different music and id have to say that playing mp3s on these speakers make the mp3 sound nice ...im running a QSC mx1500a poweramp and i borrowed a kenwood kc-208 preamp to test it out against my gemini pa-700 preamp (i like the kenwood better cause the sound is more in your face and it has more features that i use) im also running a jvc xv-s302 dvdplayer for cd/mp3 playback ... i have 12gage wire with bananna plugs from the original 16 that came with them big differance in sound though and i intend to paint the sides with a high gloss heavy paint cause i think they should shine ...gonna install some 15" mettal grills on the woofer so my kids dont beat the crap outta them ...as solid as the cones are i think a kid with a pointy toy can really hurt them ...:P

but all in all if i ran across another set i would buy them in a heart beat ...
might also buy the seperate parts from jbl and make my own boxes ...hey i want to build my own speakes someday why not start here :) but if u can find them buy them ...heck if u got a pair ill buy them :)

Purchased At:   used from a guy sell