JBL 250Ti Floorstanding Speakers

4.67/5 (15 Reviews)

(See reviews)

Submitted by petedemondo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
I got these 86 250TI's of a guy who spray painted them BLACK! I guess
he was trying to pass them off as the limited edition. With some paint
stripper and oil, they were as good as new. (After replacing a tweeter and
midbass; and some wood filled for chips around the bottom).

They sound excellent! The really make the music very
clear. Newer recordings sound really outstanding. You can really
get the sound of a live perfromance. I hear a lot of things in the
music that I have not noticed when listening on other speakers.

I really can't used my dbx 120X or dbx impact restoration
on many recordings because these effects sound
"over the top" with the 250TI's. A lot of what I used these processors
for was already there in the recording but my other loudspeakers
could not reproduce the sound accurately enough to reporduce
it.

Submitted by Joe a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
I purchased these speakers new in 1985 and still love them. I had owned and listened to many speakers prior to buying these things and were never completely happy. Some of these speakers included Vandersteen, Thiel, Spendor, Quad, B&W, Snell, etc, etc. I believe this system to provide the best overall balance of Dynamics, Imaging, Bass linearity, Upper frequency "air", midrange accuracy and Overall frequency response. All from JBL. JBL not previously known for audiophile grade stuff. High quailty, High Technology, Professional Gear...Maybe.

If you look at the technology and cost-no-object design you can begin to understand why. Massive magnetic structures on all elements (18lb. on woofers), Cast speaker frames, Edge wound voice coils, Pure Titanium dome tweeters, "Mineral filled" polypropylene midranges (JBL didn't believe a pure polypropyline midrange alone would provide enough speed in this area of the frequency range). Many high end speakers were just beginning to use pure polypropylene alone for their midrange drivers. Today many of the better speakers manufacturers have learned from this and are employing "filled" polypropylene midranges to improve speed and stiffness with the benefit of polypropylene's high internal damping. Also JBL used the highest quailty electrical components in their crossover networks.

The Teak cabinets are a sight to behold. All speakers are mechanically time aligned and the enclosure is pyramid shaped to provide the optimum baffle area for the speaker element installed. This, along with the rounded corners of the cabinet helped reduce the diffraction effect of the cabinet and improve the overall imaging of the speaker.

With good source material and high quality electonics, these speakers can provide one of the closest approximations I've ever heard to a live concert. And when its time to turn them down, they can sing you to sleep at lower power levels without any loss of resolution or a disproportional frequency response. I just wish JBL made timbe matched surround components for multichannel music (DVD-A and SACD). You would feel as if you were there!

Purchased At:   Pointe Electronics

Submitted by Ken Andrew a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
The flat response and clarity of sound is revealing. The sound quality improves with volume. The treble needs to be tamed and the bass needs to be enhanced at ridiculous volumes. Sounds slow, dull, or harsh with poor quality amplifiers. Sounds flat and ordinary with average CD material. Generally only about one song in every 10 on a pop music CD gets these speakers really firing and then listening is pure joy.

The 250 has a flatter response than recent JBL home models. Modern boutique speakers from other brands have a more 'home friendly' sound and superior staging in a smaller box but some of this must be cabinet coloration.

The 250 has a flatter response and less generous bass than the very largest JBL sudio monitors.

Purchased At:   Bought from someone getting married

Submitted by Tom a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
I am presently using this speaker with a carver C4000 preamp, Luxman M117 amp and a Rega Planet 2000 with Audioquest Lapis Interconnects. This combination sounds great. I have just purchased the rega and that made a bid difference in the sound. I now listen to more music on this system and am downsizing my home theater system. I am planning on updating my preamp with the Rogue 66 magnum.
These are indeed the best speakers that I have auditioned.

Submitted by Roel Slob a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
Years ago I heard a sound... And it was everyting I looked for. Searching for the speakers I'd discover these two and the price was then $6000. Well that was far above my budget. Years later I could finally afford them for a bargain. Yes, they are far too big and ugly. And that makes the price more friendly when you are really looking. But than I know that a bass needs some space. Electrostatics are as clear as a sound can be, but they are very critical in direction and there is always a lack of bass. Above that they are very vulnareble for moister and dust. No matter what they say.
Sonus Faber is a very neat speaker. Well designed and small. I was very surprised to see the size and the sound. But it is still a compromise. The 250TI are not in every aspect.
They are driven by two brystons 7B (800 watts). The specs say the max for the 250's is 200W. Well I haven't noticed it. They deliver the sound as they are driven. No matter what. And that's another drawback. You need serious equipment. I had a preamp (parasound). It's not good enough. I had a marantz cd-player. Well it's not good enough. Every enhancement to your system is an improvement.
I am still searching.., upgrading.., listening.
I've just purchased a preamp (Van Medevoort). Well it looks nice. It's clear. Still I've got the feeling the 250's can do more... Should it be a Mark Levinson??? I hope not. They are much to expensive..
The Brystons are okay. No limitations what so ever.
The cd-player is now a 6000 signature. A local dealer can modify it...

Purchased At:   dealer

JBL 250ti speakers

Hello all, I recently purchased a set of JBL 250ti speakers. However, I have noticed that the Bass Surround foam has decayed. Are replacements available? If so, where can I obtain it? I contacted JBL but they told me it was no longer in production. I read in the review section that this was ... Read More »