Jamo Concert 7 Floorstanding Speakers

System: 3-way, double chamber bass reflex
Woofer: 2 x 8" compound mounted
Midrange: 167mm (6 1/2")
Tweeter: 25mm (1")
Rated Power: 200 W (300 W music)
IEC Input Power: 80 W
Weight: 28 kg
Dimensions (H x W x D): 920 x 286 x 313 mm

Submitted by PAUL a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2016

Bottom Line:
I've owned my Concert VIIs for about 25 years. I really love them and will never sell them.

They are not the most ideal speaker for parties however. The mids are a bit fragile for sustained high power.

I have a Kenwood M2 driving mine and these speakers need a plenty of headroom in an amp to operate cleanly. My Concert VIIs need this amp to get the best from them. Their design is exceptional. The crossover is simple between tweeter and mid and cabinet tuning is used to effect crossover passively in the lower registers.
The sound is restrained but with a big amp the speaker really delivers with the volume control at about the 11:55 position.
At lower listening levels the sound is still excellent but these speakers aren't going to impress if loud American 3 ways is your thing. I like large American 3 ways and sold a pair to buy these new in about 1991 or 92. I have never regretted that decision.
Although a good speaker should be able to reproduce all genres of music - and the Concert VII doesn't disappoint (esp when driven hard), rock music isn't really their forte unless they're in a small room and driven with a 150w+ amp. A string quartet, Jazz, a Beethoven Symphony or a Chamber Orchestra at natural listening levels is where it's at. Marty Robbins Gunfighter Ballads on mono vinyl is incredible with these. Voice is awesome with these.

I like Deep Purple, Steely Dan, Nirvana and a lot of hard rock also and they're great in this role too, however I find myself wanting more volume than these can comfortably deliver. Loud music is great and these do go loud but I have the Spinal Taps about me - "I want 11 because it's louder."
These speakers give what I ask of them but I still want more and I need to be mindful not to overdrive them.

I'm going to build a pair of modified Klipsch La Scalas because horn loading seems to me to be more capable of delivering the effortless SPL I desire in music. In no way will the La Scalas be able to get anywhere near my Concert VIIs in terms of deep bass reproduction. The deep bass of these Jamos is one of their strong points but I've come to realize that deep bass isn't really the preserve of most music - with some exceptions of course.

In life few things are perfect, but as far as a score can go these have got to be one of the best speakers ever made. Now that is a big statement I know but allow me to elaborate:
They were never cheap. $3000 25 years ago wasn't cheap then and isn't now either come to think of it. What you get is a good honest speaker capable of reproducing deep bass. Spend more you get more, but the law of diminishing returns comes into play ie who wants to spend $5-10k+ (+++) on speakers that are going to sound marginally better? Plenty of people I suppose however I'm not one of them.
On the other hand, spend less and you get less. I have heard many speakers in my life and my Concert VIIs really remind me how good they are.

For home theater these rock. They really, really do. They are a very exciting speaker to be able to have esp if you use your power amp rather than your Dolby Digital amp to drive them. They extract sounds from movie sound tracks that I am constantly astonished to hear - a rumbling Diesel Locomotive engine, an idling V8 engine for a couple of examples. The sound of a gun is amazing; the brass hitting the ground, the transients of the blast, the ring. This role was probably not really envisioned for these speakers when they were designed but I did have a Home Theater system 25 years ago after I bought them and have ever since. They have always been my HT mains.

Their very high overall performance is unequaled in their price range. Secondhand I've seen them <$1000 occasionally.
I like to find sweet spots and sweet spots are never ever cheap I've found. Occasionally a kind of synergy where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts is created. I believe this speaker is that!

If you're after an 'unshowy' speaker that you can live with, then this is the speaker for life. With a small limitation viz. - don't drive them hard at parties for hours on end - I feel sure you'll be very happy.
Because they're so good is why they don't come up secondhand much.

Submitted by Ro a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2015

Bottom Line:
I bought the Jamo Concert VII a few days ago and i have to say it's the best buy ever! I already had a few concert V speakers they sound very nice but in the low area I was missing a little bit so I bought the Concert VII and I must say it is by far the best speaker I ever heard. The tweeters giving sparkling high sound the mid very clean and the low pfff what can i say they drop down till 24Hz really amazing overall a real hifi speaker with lots of detail and very realistic and dynamic sound. It really doesn't matter what kind of music you play classic, rock, pop, R&B, hip hop, metal, jazz, piano whatever everything sounds superb! The rating says 5 stars well this speaker goes beyond a 5 it is at least 6.
I know it is a oldie (build in 1992) but they where ahead in time a lot of speakers these days with a pricing off €2000,- or higher couldn't handle the quality what these speakers perform!

Submitted by MGTOW... a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2014

Bottom Line:
same as musicman, I puchased a pair of concert Vll back in 1991 from Radio Parts in East Malvern (not longer there) together with a Yamaha DSPA 1000, the yamaha has died long ago, but the speakers are still as new, after our son was born in 1996 I packed them up and put them in the shed away from young inquisitive hands...two other baby boys and a following separation in 08, I lost the house but managed to keep the speakers (which were still in the shed)
now paired up with a Vincent SV-234 which pump out lots of grunt, and complement these amazing speakers...
I gave it 5 stars but they probably deserve 6 :)

Submitted by Soren schjodt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2013

Bottom Line:
i got this speakers free from a freind and i had them in a soround system then i got me a Primare i21 Amp i and coneced that and the speakers eat all the wats you put in them Great Speaker

Submitted by Musicman a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2013

Bottom Line:
I purchased these speakers new back in 1991 from Radio Parts (East Malvern, Melb) discounted down to $2700, I still have the lab tests results and brochures in my filing cabinet.

They are a very well made and solid speaker with performance to match, the bass is outstanding,
These speakers have to be matched to a good amplifier to get the best result.

I will try to post the lab test results under the heading of, 'Jamo Concert Vll lab results'. in the near future.