Jamo Apollo System Floorstanding Speakers

4.81/5 (16 Reviews)

5 omega speakers, 1 410e subwoofer

Submitted by echaban a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
There are actually a number of variants in the Apollo line. The most obvious is the difference between the 330 and 310 satellites. Center channel speakers vary too. In some you get 5 identical 330s or 310s and a subwoofer. Newer models have the A3Cen center channel unit. I ended up with the 310 satellites w/ the A3Cen. Part of what attracted me to the Jamo was the fact that it is available in white. I later found out that the 310s and 330s are available in no less than 7 different colors! This applies to the satellite and
center channel units. The subwoofer is
always black.

Oh, I'm supposed to be reviewing the sound. As others have noted. The midrange is lacking on my 310s. I suspect the 330s are better because the satellites are actually almost bookshelf sized. I happen to have had 4 BIC V52s in the house and have swapped two of them for the front satellites in my system. Now it sounds great. The 2 310s will be moved to the living room with the other V52s.

Purchased At:   Soundpros

Submitted by calbears a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
For sale new in sealed box Jamo A 310PPD.3
BLACK
$360 (retail $699)

Email if you have questions...

Submitted by Pete a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
When I first started shopping fot a satellite home theater speaker system, I was convinced that the best out there was Bose. Oh how little did I know! I searched around for a while and realized I would have to spend over $1000.00 for a good satellite system,(Wrong!)I went to a local electronics store ready to purchase the Bose Acccoustamass system for $1200.00. As fate would have it, the dealer only had the system in "white". I wanted black and was'nt going to go home empty handed. So this sent the salesman scrambling. He proceeded to pull me into a diplay room and asked me if I had ever heard of a brand named "Jamo". I said no, what do you have? He then told me that he actually preffered this system "The appollo" over the Bose system. I was hard pressed to believe this, so he put in a movie and showed me what the system had to offer. Wow! I was totally impressed, great bass, perfect detail, I was engulfed by these tiny but strong speakers. He proceeded to tell me that this package was only $800.00, and they had it in black. Sold! This system is all I wanted and more. For the true audiophile I recomend larger speakers with more of a midrange and higher power handling. For me, I will listen to my movies through the Appolo System(My "A" speakers), and for music I will listen to my larger floor standing speakers(My "B" speakers)I was a bit dissapointed to hear that some of the people who have purchased this system through other sources paid for far less $$$, but I still feel that this sytem is a great value.

Purchased At:   Wettstiens

Submitted by Barry a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2001

Bottom Line:
With movies the 5 identical speakers handle the action with no real lines separating the fields from left/center/right/rear. The dialog comes out of the center perfect by my standards. Mine are ceiling mounted with 20 feet between the left and right. The sound stage is so large my 36" TV is now too small. : )

The sub keeps well with action, and lowest of lows can clearly be heard.

With music I had to carefully adjust the sub's volume and set the crossover pegged at 150hz. To much volume and it's boomy, too little and it sounds like an alarm clock radio...I had to really fine tune it to get it right. At its best, mid-bass is lacking a bit (male vocals in particular) - enough for my wife to comment on it.

The simple (white) design looks great in the living room...nothing too funky. Now if I could just keep my two-year-old from messing with the sub's knobs...

Purchased At:   Brandsmall.com

Submitted by Kurt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is a review of the Jamo A330PDD.3, which is the Apollo 3 with a new center channel the A3CEN.

First let me say that I am a big B&W fan. Having said that for music I have a NAD L-40 w/ B&W 602's. So when shopping for an HT system I was looking for something the would be used 90% for HT and 10% for music. My HT receiver is a Marantz 5200. I wanted speakers that would do justice to the Marantz as well as be on the smaller side as I live in a small semi attached townhouse. (My HT DVD - Sony PS2, believe it or not its sound and picture quality are great.)

Here is what I listened to: Boston Accousticts, B&W, Bose, Jamo, JBL, KLH, Paradigm, Polk, Wharfedale & Yamaha. (Many of the speakers I listened to were choosen because of reviews I have read here at audioreview. I would like to thank all those who contributed their comments. It made my search a lot easier & enjoyable.) My auditions were conducted with: Movies - Gladiator & Star Wars - Phantom Menace and Music - Steely Dan and Four Play. All of the speakers I listened to had a nice sound. However, the Jamo's caught my attention right away (especially the fly over of the space craft in the opening scenes of SW-PM.) Why? First - they had the best bass reproduction of them all (more on that.) Second - when listening to music and movies the speakers disappeared. That is to say, I just heard sound without knowing where is was coming from. More importantly, the Jamos do not add to the sound. (Which is why I'm a B&W fan.) What you hear is what you get without any coloration.

Now back to the sub woofer. It rocks. It had my whole house shaking and I'm sure my neighbor's that's attached to mine as well. (Guess I'll have to adjust it a bit, although my 12 year old liked having the house shake while watching The Matrix.)

There are a lot of good HT speakers one can buy, I know I listened to alot of them. If you are looking for something reasonably priced, looks nice and has a great sound do yourself a favor and listen to the Jamo A330PDD.3 or its little brothers the Apollo or Apollo 3. You might just be as pleasantly surprized as I was.

Purchased At:   Graffiti Audio Video