Jamo 98 Floorstanding Speakers

Floor standing 2 way with dual 6.5 woofers

Submitted by gustavo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
These speakers were purchased to be used as mains in a HT set up, with music listening as a secondary function. Due to sensitivity ( low impedance as well) they are easily matched with generic centers ( mine is a B&W CC3), and give good response to background music and soundtrack, developing a wide stage. Musically they have good depth, reasonable accuracy, but the sound is slightly colored, and the bass and highs, if not positioned carefully, can obscure the mid range. They will show up warm sounding electronics ( e.g. my Yamaha AVR). Overall however they are more natural sounding than the B&W 602's ( on music as well), suited to medium to large rooms. Again they work well with a bookshelf sized rears, I currently use the Tannoy MX2's. For their price I have not found a better floostander, recommended provided you don't have "audiophile" quality and accuracy in mind ( you'll need to fork out a few more dollars for that).

Submitted by Veda a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 18, 1999

Bottom Line:
For the price it's really not a bad deal especially if you like pop or jazz. Better than Paradigm for sure but if I can spend more, I'd rather settle for ribbon hybrid or Dunlavy's super accuracy.

Submitted by Mark a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 8, 1999

Bottom Line:
I just purchased these speakers 2 weeks ago. It had been quite some time since I changed spaekers, currently owning Paradigm 3se Mini's. I came into some money and 1 of my priorities was to upgrade my speakers. I had a few models pass through my living room during my Paradigm stint including Paradigm Titans, B&W DM100's and NHT Model 1's. I had also listened to dozens of speakers in showrooms. I was particularly impressed with PSB Stratus Gold but they were out of my budget range. I dropped into a Vancouver stereo outlet to listen to some Axiom AX 2's that they had. I was very familiar with the AX 3 as my brother owns a pair and they sound excellent. The AX 2's had horrible bass. This store also carried Jamo which were very impressive to look at. I listened to them and were struck right away with their balance and tight bass. I arranged to take a set home for the weekend not expecting that they would surpass my Paradigm's. Boy was I wrong. They have excellent balance, strong tight bass, and a clarity/liveness which was lacking in my Paradigms. At this point I am very happy, although I will continue to compare. I would like to borrow a set of Paradigm Studio 60's and PSB Stratus Bronze for comparison. I would never rate a speaker as 5.0, since I am sure there is somthing better out there for me, but the Jamo's get a strong 4.