Jamo 7.7 Floorstanding Speakers

4.75/5 (20 Reviews)

Main Speakers

Submitted by Maher a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2007

Bottom Line:
Bought these speakers to match up to my NAD T753 receiver. I had listened to them at the shop with a stereo Onkyo amp and they sounded sweet and extended in the bass. At home I was quite disappointed by the sound. It was dull and harsh. Bass was boomy yet dry. There was also a hole in the upper bass/lower mids.

I gave the speakers almost a month to berak in and the sound improvement somewhat. They are very sesitive to positioning and need a good amount of space from the rear wall to minimize bass boom. Soundstaging however was always great.

I purchased a Naim CD5i and it did smoothen out the sound a good bit. Several months later I bought a Nait 5i amplifier from Naim and was disappointed in the sound I heard compared to the dealer's. Somebody suggested that I connect my amp to the upper terminals on the back of the speakers as apposed to the lower ones. I did that and the improvement in sound was phenomenal. The sound became "right". All boom was gone. Sweetness was restored to the mids. Harshness removed from the trebble. Soundstaging became 3 dimensional and the total sound became coherent.

As the manual illustrates connection to the lower terminals I thought pepole should know about this. All in all these are good speakers that match u well against the competition. They are very musical but need a capable amp that can handle the low impedence of 4 ohms./

Submitted by Flame a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2007

Bottom Line:
I had auditioned speakers from Bose, Yamaha, Castle and pioneer before giving the Jamo's a go. At the dealer the source was an onkyo cd player and the speakers were driven by an onkyo integrated stereo amplifier. The sound really impressed me. I was about to buy the Jamo E7 5.1 speaker set before listening to the D590's which were on special discount. What really caught my attention was the extension of the bass and the sweetness of the middles. The speakers definetely sounded warm; which is the sound I was after.

At home my setup at the time was a sony universal dvd player and amplification was provided via NAD T753 AV receiver. I was dissapointed. First, the speakers are very fussy regarding placement as they need good clearance from the walls to prevent the bass from sounding boomy. a few degrees of inclination are also needed to tame the trebble as well. Second; they require forever to be run in. The sound was initially very very harsh and lacking extension in the lower register. Upgrading to Chord carnival silver speaker cables and Chord Cobra 3 interconnects improved the sound quite a bit.

Now that I have owned the speakers for a year I find that they perform rather well with soft music and vocals. However, when it comes to layered and thick musical pieces the soundstage and detail falls apart. The speakers seem to be a bit two dimensional for my taste but addind a REL Strata 5 subwoofer did improve that aspect.

The serious issue to consider before you buy these speaker - I think - is the quality of your amplifier. The NAD T753 is a whimp when operating the D590's. These are power hungry speakers (200W 4 Ohms) and my AV receiver struggles with them producing a sound that is somewhat thin and lacking involvement.

My next upgrade will be a Naim NAC 122X through a NAP 150x to match my Naim CD5i CD player. I hope that the higher quality pre/power amplifier combo will bring back the life to these speakers just like I heard them at the dealer. I am still convinced that these are very good speakers with exceptional build quality but require very carefull system matching and attention to placement. If you like them try to arrange a home demo before you buy to ensure that you will be a satisfied customer.

Submitted by Raff a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2006

Bottom Line:
I wanted to purchase some great sounding speakers for under $4000 Au. i must have auditioned 30 maybe 40 sets, and wasnt overly impressed with many at all, despite huge price differeces. I liked the Polk florr standing speakers, and the Energy 5.1 set. I LOVED the huge JBL's I heard, they were shaped like a pyramid, and sounded great, but at $10,000 Au they would want to! Dissapointed I was about to give up and save more money, then I heard the Jamo 7.7's, wow!
The had that 'X' factor I'd been searching for, a punchy midrange, so that a hard snare hit hist you in the chest, and beautifully clear mid, with solid deep and certainly not 'one note' or sloppy bass.
I bought a set on the spot. When i hoooked them up at home, I was more than a little dissapointed, where's the bass, and the treble was bright and harsh.
After much mucking about I found the answer, rather by accident. I tidied up all the loose audio leads at the back of my entertainment unit, and shorted the rather long speaker cabling. I used that HUGE 'oxygen free copper' speaker cabling, yes it does make a difference!
that was it, the sound I heard on review was there.
These speakers are so clear in the midrange, you must ensure that the rest of your gear is up to the chalenge. You will hear EVERY fault in your gear and recordings that you play.

Excellent Speakers.
I would like to hear from anyone who has experimented with the positioning of these speakers, as the handbook says nothing about that, and it does make a difference all right.

Purchased At:   Clive Anthony's, Gol

Submitted by danhauole a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2004

Bottom Line:
I´ve had these speakers for about a year now (Jamo D590 former 7.7). And I must say I´m very pleased with them. I´ve paid only 50% of the reference price and I havent met any worthy competitors at this price level. These speakers have incredibly clarity. Especially vocal, drums and percussion instrument are very good played in these speakers. They also have a very deep and powerful bass. The commercials for these speakers says that these speakers are excellent for jazz and classical music and they is. But I also think that they are great with rock and many others genres... But I don´t think they are very good to play techno on.. because its bass capability almost is to detailed to this type of music. I Use these speakers along with a Denon POA-2800 Poweramplifier and a Denon DAP-2500A Preamplifier and a Denon DCD1450AR CD Player. I think those components works very well together, because the CD-Player has a sligthy dark sound and the speakers have a slighty brigth sound. The Power amp has avery neutral sound.

Purchased At:   Expert - Denmark

Submitted by buddy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2003

Bottom Line:
very good sound ,goog looking
the bass!

Dynaudio DM 3/7

I am trying to get a chance to audition these but until then wanted to see if anybody had any comments on them. I am going to drive them with a Musical Fidelity 3.2 cr amp and the source is a Music Hall 7.1 TTRead More »

New Internet Explorer for Window 7

Microsoft new Operating System Window 8.1 comes with Internet Explorere 11 as default. But knowing that as of now Win 7 is dominate operating system, Microsoft has made available new IE 11 to window 7 users also. Windows versions earlier than Windows 7 SP1 won't be able to avail themselves of the ... Read More »

She is done after 7 years!

Hello everyone, many many years ago i started in this forum. 7 years ago i bought a troubled super speaker which needed some loving. After 7 years, she is finally done and here is the result. List of equipment and pics. Enjoy :biggrin5: [LIST] [*]Apogee Acoustics Grand (New TW, MRT, BASS Ribbons) ... Read More »

Design & Equipment Suggestions: $7,000 Projection Room

A buddy of mine asked for help, so I automatically thought this was the place! He's got a 10.5 by 22 foot room basement room. He is fortunate to have 9 foot high ceilings and $7,000 to turn it in to a theater room. No TV- he just wants projector and fixed screen. Gear will be in a closet on th ... Read More »

Lying Salesman Nexus 7/Ipad Mini

I was at Best Buy the other night taking a look at 7" tablets and the Ipad Mini, comparing the size as I am going to buy a Nexus 7 or the Ipad Mini. I was looking at the Samsung 7" Galaxy tab when a salesman came over and asked if he could help me. I said yes but what I did not realize was that he ... Read More »