Infinity Systems SM152 Floorstanding Speakers

4.71/5 (24 Reviews)

15" 3 way bass reflex

Submitted by Tom Fisher a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2010

Bottom Line:
When I was in 9th grade I bought a pair of these with hard earned paper route money and I never regretted it. That was about 20yrs ago. I was so thrilled with them I Recently purchased a second pair for the rear channels and will eventually buy one more (somehow) for my center channel too. I don't even want to listen to anything else. I am constantly noticing "missing" noises on other speakers. I can hear people swallow and breathing in the microphone and I swear it sounds like I'm hearing the guitar pick nicking the guitar off the strings on some stuff. I will verify that with enough power you will knock anything off the top of them in due time. I was never able to compare them with any $10,000 speakers or anything but I have never heard a speaker in the ball park price range that came close to impressing me. I would rather lose my car and my condo than these babies because I am afraid someday I will not be able to replace them. Yes, my neighbor hates me. At first I was being somewhat respectful knowing full well what these are capable of, but I don't think she knew that. She was complaining about them a few times. So after a couple weeks I figured... what the heck... and I blasted them for about 10 seconds to show her what loud was. She doesn't call anymore when I play it modestly. I do admit the sound travels on these really bad and it sounds clear as day in the other room. Not sure if that's a pro or a con lol. Actually as far as blowing them out... when I was younger (and able too) I blasted these like you wouldn't believe. Kids at the buss stop down the block heard it loud and clear. I blew about 3 woofers under warranty, but it was clearly abuse. It was only 120 watts per channel (nice sansui), but it was bass heavy and distorted because it was clearly too high for the amp. I always drove it to clip. We lost our heat and had to wait for repair. It was about 35 degrees in my room and I realized that the amp could really push out more power when its cold! I really did beat them. One time I had a scratch in the cone and turned the bass all the way up and the highs all the way down and just drilled it for about 3 minutes with wild distortion before I could get it to blow. It actually started to smoke a little for maybe 15 seconds before it even fried out. I'm sorry Infinity, I was a dick, you still took care of me. Thanks. And for the quality and the service I will always rave about you. When I think of all the components that came and went, this one stood the test of time and was probably my single best investment period. I use these DAILY.

Submitted by David Maczynski a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2010

Bottom Line:
I bought these speakers new. They are by far the best audioPhile investment I EVER made. Sound Pressure levels are over 100 and it will down right shake the house to death! Picks up every subtle note, I have a pair of JBL studio reference speakers that sit on top (at twice the cost) and the Infinity blows it away! Throw some good ole Rock on these babies and watch the windows move. Just the right natual bass, nothing artificial, no additional coloring of the sound. If you want the feel, sound and rock solid performance...run, don't walk to pick up a pair of these....I've had mine for some..17-18 years. Will not trade for speakers 10 times the price and even then I would want to hear a demo first. They just don't make the "old school" heavy, solid performers like this any more. Pink Floyd SACD mix through these is "unbelieveable"!

Submitted by Justin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2009

Bottom Line:
I'm the type of person who still prefers 2 large speakers for sound as opposed to an array of small speakers and a sub so when my father called me from an auction and told me that there was a large set of infinity speakers up for auction I rushed there. I ended up paying $20 for the pair and they're in nice condition. That to this day is the best deal i've ever made because now after owning these marvels if something ever happened to them I would easily pay $1000 for another set. These are by far the best sounding speakers i've owned and as many others have said...the bass tends to move things in the house for me. If you ever have the chance to acquire a set of these, do it. The weight is an issue when moving them but I just remind myself that when they weigh this much, they have to be good.

Submitted by Michael1234 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2008

Bottom Line:
I have had my speakers for 9 years now and I have replaced every speaker in them with IB- Infinite baffle DVC Sub, Morrell tweeters and mids, used same crossover.
I hand built and specked out the ported enclosure and found the port was tuned to 150hz which is ok since the QES is around 5.32 In addition I twore apart both cabinets and made 3/4" high density MDF particle board with baffle and liquid nail, 1- 1/2" screws every 2 inches on every side. I am pushing 500watts through them and my SPL is 133 DB 1 watt 1 Meter. Impressive The Infinity speakers are good and clean with low volume and classical music. But if you really want to shake the entire house remake everything and use a sub with an excursion of 15mm or more.
If you want to learn more go to WWW.Parts-Express.com this is the best and cheapest place to engineer your every want and need without spending more than $500.00

Purchased At:   auction

Submitted by Craig Haase a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2007

Bottom Line:
I'm still using these since new. Wonderful for TV. Thumping bass. I power it with a Pioneer VSX-D601 I bought then. Pro-Logic is the best I have and I still shake crap off of shelves in other rooms. Had to stop turning up the volume at 25 because it was practically knocking me over at 8 feet from the speakers. Cannot play albums well because the bass will make the needle skip.

No chance to keep plants or candlesticks on top of them. The solid thump bumps them off every time at high enough volume.

Moved them 4 times from Michigan to California (2 homes,) back to Michigan and now Arkansas. Still have original packaging and styrofoam. The boxes are huge and I use them to store the boxes for my audio equipment.

15 years and still smoking!!!!!! Virtually indestructable.

I have Sony SS-MB105's for rears and an Infinity Video One in the middle.... Paid $25 new for the Sony's when Montgomery Ward closed.

Purchased At:   Buying club through