Infinity Systems SM125 Floorstanding Speakers

Submitted by Jordan K a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2015

Bottom Line:
I picked these up while I was in college. Also have the matching center and bookshelf speakers. I have had them for 6-7 years now and have also owned a variety of other higher-end speaker systems.

Personally, I enjoy the highs and mids from these speakers. Very nice and unique tweeters and great for a surround-sound setup with an added subwoofer for bass. I have used the SM 125's in a stereo setup before with a substantial Adcom amplifier and they do put out some serious sound. As others have mentioned, the bass does fall apart a little bit at high volume. This is not a slight to the drivers, but rather to the cabinets. They are decently solid, but I anticipate that they lack the interior bracing to handle the decibel levels put out by their 12" woofers. You can definitely here some of the flex at very high volume, but I consider these extreme conditions.

These things survived many college parties, kept the ladies dancing, and still play well today. I have a Klipsch Reference system that I prefer now that I am older and have a little more refined taste in what I like in a speaker, but these Infinities are still great. If you can find a good deal on a pair of used ones, you will not be disappointed. I would say $100-$200 for a pair would be a fair price if they are in good shape.

Submitted by David Guzowski a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2012

Bottom Line:
I bought a pair of these in mint condition off craigslist for $60. I also bought a yamaha RX-750 Natural Sound Stereo receiver off ebay in perfect condition for 40 dollars including shipping. So thats basically my setup my yamaha amp and my infinity speakers. Let me say that these things pound and are power hungry! At low and mid volumes they reproduce music exceptionally, especially Dave Brubeck on the piano, the saxophone sounds lovely and the separation and clarity are unsurpassed. When i'm pounding these babies loud I can get all the bass I need! The highs do get a bit bright but I just turn down the treble and turn up the bass. These speakers are great for Dub-step, Rock and some rap, really any music genre that pleases you. The other day I was able to hit 115db with no distortion at 75% volume with my yamaha amp! These things are unbelievable and I got them for a steal! The only thing that I can think of is the poor box design, around 200-500 hz the boxes rattle and have bad upper bass emphasis, I resolved this by dampening the box with some extra particle board and 2x4s and now they are nearly perfect! Love these, you can find these floating around on ebay or craigslist for $50-100 and they are well worth it!

Submitted by tpr6576 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2008

Bottom Line:
I bought these back in 1996 when I was in college and I would have to say that I agree with everything -- good and bad -- that I have read in these reviews. If you are looking for champagne sound so that you can hear every hair whistle in Roger Water's nose while he plays guitar on Dark Side of the Moon then these are not the speakers for you nor will any speaker in this price range be for you.

But, for an average listener who likes decent sound and has a decent receiver to hook these up to, these have really been very durable speakers. These things were put through hell back when I was college living in a fraternity house and they still get that treatment on the weekends now that I have my own place. After over 11 years of use, I finally blew the tweeters (replacements cost $100 for the pair). Otherwise, considering what I paid (I think it was $300-$350 each back in 1996) to have gotten over a decade's worth of use is quite impressive.

One complaint I do have is that the bass is not all that strong on these at higher volumes. I have a JBL sub hooked up to my system, which makes up for the difference, but I do wish these speakers had more bass.

These are not speakers for "audiophiles" but have certainly been good for an average listener who likes to play his music loud and keeps these things in constant use.

Purchased At:   ABC Warehouse in 199

Submitted by Stankboy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2005

Bottom Line:
I agree with the last guy, these are quite impressive speakers for the money. The tweets are nice and clear, but not "hissy" like so many of the newer speakers. The mid-range is the greatest strength of this speaker, in my opinion. In my system, I don't use the woofers much in these speakers, as I have an Infinity Entra series 10" sub which does a little better job. I do this by designating them a "small" speaker in my receiver setup, so the woofers aren't doing much.
Anyway, after doing so, I realized the strength of the mid-range and highs, all the way from very low volume to window-shattering high volume. Great for music AND home theater. All I can say is I'll never sell these babies, and I would normally sell a set of speakers after a few years of use to upgrade to something better.

Submitted by mike goff a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
the people that are whining about these
speakers are either liars or cant hear!.
these speakers a very good and make these new speakers sound like crap!.
not to mention the new ones are built very cheap out of very cheap materials.

Purchased At:   damark