Infinity Systems SM125 Floorstanding Speakers

Submitted by David Guzowski a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2012

Bottom Line:
I bought a pair of these in mint condition off craigslist for $60. I also bought a yamaha RX-750 Natural Sound Stereo receiver off ebay in perfect condition for 40 dollars including shipping. So thats basically my setup my yamaha amp and my infinity speakers. Let me say that these things pound and are power hungry! At low and mid volumes they reproduce music exceptionally, especially Dave Brubeck on the piano, the saxophone sounds lovely and the separation and clarity are unsurpassed. When i'm pounding these babies loud I can get all the bass I need! The highs do get a bit bright but I just turn down the treble and turn up the bass. These speakers are great for Dub-step, Rock and some rap, really any music genre that pleases you. The other day I was able to hit 115db with no distortion at 75% volume with my yamaha amp! These things are unbelievable and I got them for a steal! The only thing that I can think of is the poor box design, around 200-500 hz the boxes rattle and have bad upper bass emphasis, I resolved this by dampening the box with some extra particle board and 2x4s and now they are nearly perfect! Love these, you can find these floating around on ebay or craigslist for $50-100 and they are well worth it!

Submitted by tpr6576 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2008

Bottom Line:
I bought these back in 1996 when I was in college and I would have to say that I agree with everything -- good and bad -- that I have read in these reviews. If you are looking for champagne sound so that you can hear every hair whistle in Roger Water's nose while he plays guitar on Dark Side of the Moon then these are not the speakers for you nor will any speaker in this price range be for you.

But, for an average listener who likes decent sound and has a decent receiver to hook these up to, these have really been very durable speakers. These things were put through hell back when I was college living in a fraternity house and they still get that treatment on the weekends now that I have my own place. After over 11 years of use, I finally blew the tweeters (replacements cost $100 for the pair). Otherwise, considering what I paid (I think it was $300-$350 each back in 1996) to have gotten over a decade's worth of use is quite impressive.

One complaint I do have is that the bass is not all that strong on these at higher volumes. I have a JBL sub hooked up to my system, which makes up for the difference, but I do wish these speakers had more bass.

These are not speakers for "audiophiles" but have certainly been good for an average listener who likes to play his music loud and keeps these things in constant use.

Purchased At:   ABC Warehouse in 199

Submitted by Stankboy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2005

Bottom Line:
I agree with the last guy, these are quite impressive speakers for the money. The tweets are nice and clear, but not "hissy" like so many of the newer speakers. The mid-range is the greatest strength of this speaker, in my opinion. In my system, I don't use the woofers much in these speakers, as I have an Infinity Entra series 10" sub which does a little better job. I do this by designating them a "small" speaker in my receiver setup, so the woofers aren't doing much.
Anyway, after doing so, I realized the strength of the mid-range and highs, all the way from very low volume to window-shattering high volume. Great for music AND home theater. All I can say is I'll never sell these babies, and I would normally sell a set of speakers after a few years of use to upgrade to something better.

Submitted by mike goff a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
the people that are whining about these
speakers are either liars or cant hear!.
these speakers a very good and make these new speakers sound like crap!.
not to mention the new ones are built very cheap out of very cheap materials.

Purchased At:   damark

Submitted by Dani a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
Yes I've had these for a long long time... I bought them way back when I was a teenager and didnt know squat about audio or sound and now I cant wait to get rid of them. The SM's were designed to be Party speakers- very efficient so not much amp power needed to drive them. They can play LOUD but thats about it. Flabby, boomy bass, grainy rough highs, no midrange, horrible imaging, no soundstage. They really cut corners on the box, completely untreated in anyway and offers horrid box resonances and colorations. The crossovers are a huge dissapointment as well.... running a 15hz to 15khz sweep there are huge holes in the tone at the crossover points where the speakers just do not reproduce that frequency hardly at all! Timbres are very 'off' and unrealistic as are instruments size and weight. The fact that they are not matched pairs kills any imaging and soundstage and makes the sound heavy to one side. I'm not sure what infinity was thinking there. More so not only am I disgusted for owning them... I'm disgusted at myself for ever thinking they sounded good when I first bought them!

Purchased At:   brand new in 94