Infinity Systems SM Video Floorstanding Speakers

4.82/5 (11 Reviews) MSRP : $329.00

Infinity Studio Monitor center speaker

Submitted by Jason a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
Outstanding value!! These will fill any room and make even an inexpensive receiver sound like a dream. A friend of mine has a set of Triads that he's no longer happy with when compared to mine, and he paid about 4x more! They are definitely better than the PSB's I also have.

Hit +amazingly+ hard for a 10" woofer, though I added a sub to round out the system for what I like listening to. My gf said she was starting to orgasm from sitting on the floor (wood) while I was testing!!

I just bought 4 more to set up a home theater system with (5 speakers + 1 spare I can't use unfortunately) so they match all around. Should sound xlnt!

Submitted by John a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2001

Bottom Line:
This speaker is definitely a great center speaker. It provides enough of everything to give you a realistic movie experience. The midrange on this speaker sounds great. Voices are clear and on screen explosions sound real. It could use a little more bass. However, I don't have a subwoofer so I guess I'm depending too much on the center speaker to provide the low frequencies. Music sounds great on this speaker also. I recommend this speaker to those who are thinking about buying it used considering that Infinity discontinued the SM series.

Purchased At:   Cruthchfield

Submitted by rajiv a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
I own infinity sm-115 and sm-185 for front and rears. I searched a lot but could not find a matching center speaker. I bought the video 1 that was widely available at ubid only to find that they just were not as efficient as the other speakers (89db v/s >100db). So finally after giving up hope of finding a bargain price on the SM video, i went and bought these at the official outlet store for abt $165. Its a great speaker. Matches perfectly with the rest of the systema dn i'm having a great time watching DVD almost every other day!
They don't sound too open...or have good bass response but still they sound quite fine to me. No complaints. But I tell you guys, inifity is not making speakers like they did. The studio monitor series are one of the best line of speakers i've ever heard! The new interlude series suck!!
All in all, i'm a happy man...i'm surrounded by infinity SM series! The rest are as follows:
Sony 27" TV ( i know i know...its small! but give me a break! I just got out of college!)
nakamichi av-8
infinity sm-115
infinity sm-185
toshiba dvd sd-2200
jvc tape deck/vcr

Purchased At:   harman kardan outlet store

Submitted by Apu Sista a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2000

Bottom Line:
If you pay $ 250 in India, then you have paid the equivalent of $ 125 in the US. So, for $ 125/- it's excellent value for money like most Infinity products. But don't buy it for power handling unless you own a small movie theatre! Not too many amps push 175 watts pc and I for one certainly couldn't listen anywhere that loud! And don't buy it for the bass either, cos' when you crank up the bass on your amp you lose clarity. Having said that, it's a nice "big" center speaker and Mel Gibsons voice sounds the way it should without a sub.

Purchased At:   Bangalore

Submitted by Randy Rogers a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2000

Bottom Line:
Where to start.... I bought this to go with my SM155's for a similar sonic match. I absoulutely cannot express how wonderfull this speaker performs. I stole this thing for $129 on closeout at Sound City. I have since pushed this speaker with a vast array of DVD and pro-logic and all it does is PERFORM! I can honestly say that after an extensive amount of auditioning, I simply couldn't justify purchasing other center channels at twice the price! I have had this for over two years and I am completely satisfied. If you can find one, give a listen (preferably with some decent electronics/source material) and I'm fairly confident you'll come away impressed. Here is what I use it with:

Pioneer VSXD906S Receiver