Infinity Systems RS8 Floorstanding Speakers

4.33/5 (15 Reviews)

Equivalent to RS-4 with the addition of a 100 watt 8" powered sub in each speaker

Submitted by Sean a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
These where origanally hooked up to a pioneer elite with speaker inupts when they first arrived and the sound was amaizing. Very clear, very loud. After revieving my reciever, Technics SA-DA10 see review, I hooked them up with direct line inputs for the sub and they sound even better. Movies i have watched in DD like Gladiator, 15 Minutes, Seven, are all amaizing. As for music I have played everyting from enya to cypress hill, rock, punk and it can handle all of it. For what i payed for them, i have had no problems because they are refurb's, the value on these are for me, retial i have seen them at over a thousand, is exceptional.

Purchased At:   Ubid (Referbished)

Submitted by Ben LaBathe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
I really didn't expect much for the price I paid for the speakers, but I am suprisingly satisfied. The speakers have excellent highs, the midrange leaves something to be desired (but are tollerable), and the bass is very good once you learn how to tune the speakers in. I found that the bass was not very clean on the speakers until I turned the power up to the max on the speakers. Now it is very clean and loud bass. Keep in mind that you will need to turn the bass settings on you receiver way down or it will be way to overbearing. The sound outside the listening area is not very good. But, overall excellent value.

Purchased At:   UBid

Submitted by Nilesh Ganatra a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this speekers from Ubid. I never thout that I am going to have hi-end speekers at the prise I paid. This speekers are awsome. There may be better speekers for more money, but these are more then what I expected for the prise I paid. Specially the Buil in Power Subwoofers deliver very strong bass.

Purchased At:   Ubid

Submitted by Josh a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2001

Bottom Line:
I'll preface by saying I am a bit dissapointed with these speakers. I am an audio enthuasist not an audiophile. I bought these speakers and an entire HT system as soon as I started my first job. I like many others here got a great deal so therefore I am not overwhelmingly dissapointed. Had I paid the $1200 retail price I would be pissed.

Basically, I have a few minor complaints and one major one. I start with the nit picking. I live in Manhattan in an apartment building with paper thin walls. So I cannot turn the volume up too loud and am forced to listen to music/movies at less than my preferred level. Which brings me to my first complaint, these speakers don't preform real well at low volumes. The midrange is muffled, there is virtually no midbass and the stupid subwoofer keeps turning off and on which is super annoying. Second, I usually listen to music while wandering around my apartment. The off axis performance of these speakers is subpar, even for their range. You really need to be sitting in front of the center stage to get the maximum performance from these babies. This can be seen as a nit pick but I have owned many other speakers that faired better in this regard. Lastly of the nit picks, to the best of my hearing there is a noticeable dip in the frequency range between the mid driver and the subwoofer creating a mild void in the mid base area of the spectrum. I have toyed with the subwoofer setting but unable to completely overcome this.

Ok, the big complaint. This may be just my speakers but the damn sub keeps turning on and off randomly in either the auto or the on position. I have toyed with the receiver but came to the conclusion it is the speakers not the receiver (tested with an old stereo receiver). This usually starts happening after about an hour of listening time. Maybe they are overheating? Dunno. I have tried both speaker level and line level inputs with the same results. Then the internal crossovers in one of the speakers simple quit working so I can only use the direct method of input which assumes my reciever is crossing over the speakers (which it doesn't).
Overall, I have to say the reliability I have found to be below par. Performance would be quite fair for the money if I didn't have these problems. If any other owners of these speakers have had similar problems or know what I can do to overcome this, please let me know.

Purchased At:   J&R Electronics

Submitted by Jose a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have owned the RS-8's for almost a year now. I have been waiting to write a review to get them broken in and to let those little bothersome things become truly annoying. The good news is that I only have one annoyance- the fact that the bass is much more responsive with speaker level inputs instead of line level inputs. This may not be a problem, however, if you have a decent digital receiver with bass management for the speakers, or you mate it with a sub. I deferred buying the sub to get these speakers and save $$ for better wiring. I must admit, that with the front speakers set to "LARGE" on my Onkyo and no sub, there is plenty of bass to shake the house. Which, of course, annoys the crap out of my wife, but oh well, she still leaves her bras in the bathroom ;-). I would also recommend (and this probably goes for all speakers, but especially higher-end speakers) that you set aside some $$ for good wiring. Initially, I did not, using cheapo 16 gauge wire. When I upgraded to Monster 12 gauge, the sound (and bass) was noticeably tighter and more detailed. This may seem obvious to the audiophiles, but for a long time, I could not bring myself to spend the $100 for the wiring. For those of you, that like me, are on the fence, believe me, the sound is noticeably better.

Finally, for a poor man like myself, the 5 year warranty on these things is key.

Anyways, I hope this helps those of you that like me, would like to be audiophiles, but are poor (ie, have a wife and kids) so can't incur the costs. Overall, I give 5 stars for value (if you can get these at the price I did) and 4 stars because the line level bass is not very good- relegating me to the speaker level inputs.

Oh yeah, my system includes:
Toshiba 36" TV
Onkyo TX-DS575x Receiver
Monster 12 gauge wire for front stage (L/C/R)
Monster Superflat 12 Gauge for rear (LS/RS)
Pioneer DV-F727 301 DVD Changer
Old Toshiba VCR
Echostar/Dishnetwork 4900 DD Satellite Receiver (Toslink Digital Audio)

Purchased At:   total, including shipping

Dynaudio Audience 62 vs. Triangle Altea vs. Focal 816V vs Monitor Audio RS8

Since I don't have a chance to listen to these 4 speakers with the same amp or in the same room, it would be great if somebody could compare them. I mostly listen to acoustic jazz, soul and funk! Thanks!Read More »

Quad 22L, Monitor Audio Silver RS8, Thiel Cs1.6 ??

Hello everyone, been listening to lots of great speakers and have come up with a few favorites in my price range ($2000US): the 22L, RS8, and CS1.6. These have been the best to my ear for soundstage and clarity. Unfortunately, they didn't seem to handle rock/metal recordings - especially at louder v ... Read More »