Infinity Systems RS5 Floorstanding Speakers

4.57/5 (102 Reviews)

Submitted by tom know a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2012

Bottom Line:
picked up a pr. of these RS5's for $25.00 on craigslist. One of the tweeters did not work at all, a simple replacement tweeter from Harmon/infinity and for about $75.00, I have a very decent set of speakers. I use them for music only as mans in a small room and they are wonderfully for my ears. I am not an audiophile type but for most of us average listeners, they are way above average. Could not be happier.

Submitted by Eeyore56 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2009

Bottom Line:
Great speakers, I have 4 set up in my HT.Use the front 2 when listening to music through pure audio! Sound great, nice looking and well built!The bass is fine(have a Omni S12 for HT)Always loved the IInfinity sound.

Submitted by karister a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2008

Bottom Line:
Excellent speakers with great detail. Very nice slim cabinet, can really handle the low end with ease as well. I've been using them as my fronts and rears for HT system and love the sound of them. They sure looks sexy with their covers off:)

Submitted by Madmke1 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have read several reviews on the RS-5's and see mention of lacking bass. I've paired these speakers up with a couple different AV receivers and at one point was going to look into adding a sub.

But then I picked up a Sony STR-DE635 AV receiver and went from analog to digital connection to the DVD/CD player. I have the speakers approximately 4" from the wall and have noticed a huge difference in quality of sound. Obviously this is not a high-end peice of equipment but it seems to pair up fairly well with the Infinity speakers.

Previously I had a Kenwood AV receiver attached, which would make $10,000 speakers sound like crap.

The bass response and dynamics of these speakers were enough to have the landlord knock on my door and tell me I was shaking windows in a building 50 yards away (my windows/doors were shut) and yet we were able to carry on a conversation without having to turning down the volume.

Purchased At:   American

Submitted by Don a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
What is it with the followers of Infinity that keep applauding this very mediocre speaker. The fact that Circuit City pushes this brand says enough. But lets not bash the product until you at least audition it. On visual assessment this speaker comes over as very middle of the road at best in its finish - the grille is an excellent excercise in costing-cutting manufacturer.
And now onto the sonic virtues. The bass is certainly lacking which at least helps to emphasise the muddy waters of the midrange. The treble doesn't exactly sparkle but I also note a significant hole somewhere in lower highs around the cross over point. The dynamics seem a little compressed and the attack is very sloppy. Listening to any complex peice of orchestral work and the speaker seems to immediateley give up trying to express any detail or seperate the instruments into identifiable positions.
This comes no where near the entity of what can be defined as audiophile. So what can we salvage from here on. The only hope is part of HT setup. A sub will be an absolute necessity to fill the lower void lacking from these speakers, otherwise these speakers will do as average HT towers at best - clarity and gusto is still a short fall compared to the likes of BA and Missions.
I performed an A B comparison and the Infinity's lose hands down in all regards. A look at Infinity's offerings in car audio speakers sums up this company's aspirations - very mediocre/average. Do yourself a favor and look at Bostons at the very minimum - these speakers nearly squeeze out all that is sonically possible at their relative price points.
If you bought Infinity based on misguided recommendations and not on your ears then you only have yourself to blame. I returned mine and enjoy the Bliss of Mission's 77 series setup - now we're talking.

Purchased At:   Circuit City