Infinity Systems Renaissance 90 Floorstanding Speakers

4-way floor-standing high-end loudspeaker with planar midrange and tweeter sections

Submitted by Ondrej a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2014

Bottom Line:
When correctly driven, these are the very Best Speakers money can buy. Certainly very best I've ever heard. And I've heard them many, including at least 10-20x more expensive Wilson Audio Maxx 3 driven by DCS Vivaldi and top VTL amps, the system one of my friend owns.
It took me long road to find out what is the best support for the REN90. But finall result is
far above what I've ever expected.
Actually using them in the 35m2 living room in the system consists of Denon SACD player upgraded with direct passive output (Lundahl stepup transformers - wow!) alternatively sourced by LUXMAN PD-444 deck (SME3012 & Dynavector DV-505, various MC/MM carts and SUTs). Amplifying starts in amazing Marantz Model 7c (alternatively Luxman CL-360 or CL-36) all tube preamp. Signal is then splitted in amazing Luxman A-2003 8xECC82 tube active crossover setup in the 2 way mode(3 way is possible if needed).
Then signal is biamped in the power stage consist of another tube beast, Audio Research D-150 driving upper 200-40.000Hz range. Finally Pioneer SPEC-4 (only transistor amp in my system) is the best solution for amazingly deep but perfectly controlled and super tight bass (up to 200Hz).
A can not explain in the words, how proud, satisfied and happy I'm with the sound now!
Great thanks Infinity guys for neverending audio nirvana and astonishing products like Renaissance 90!!!

Submitted by ossi76 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2012

Bottom Line:
After years of listening to the Infinity Kappa 8.1i this speaker was the next step in improving the sound of my system. Everything sounds better that the Kappa 8.1i. Still driven by two Rotel RB980 power amps in mono mode they deliver a great deep and precise bass (not as boomy as the Kappa 8.1i which sound rather like a home cinema speaker) and extremely precise highs and mids. The infinity planar emit and emim are extremely great drivers and work perfectly together with the 10 inch watkins bass. Great combination. Very great speakers that would probably cost more than 10k nowadays!

The Renaissance is a speaker that plays in a complete different league compared to the Kappa systems I should have bought them earlier.. And they are availabe to an almost ridiculous price today. The speakers reveal every weaknesses of the source - this makes you seriously think about your taste of music :-) The best buy I ever made. Although some people say they do not need much power to be driven: they love strong power amps.

Submitted by Elcoleccionista a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2012

Bottom Line:
The very best! They are the finest speaker made using ribbon tweeters. Extremely controlled, tight bass (Due to the watkins woofers).

Paid $2,500 in the used market, I have no regrets it was worth every penny and alot more.
I would not ever sell them even for $30K (Grand) Dollars.

Submitted by Davelm a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2010

Bottom Line:
Now that the Renaissance models are >15 years old some of the crossover caps need to be replaced. My 90's have been sounding a bit limp and softer in the bass dep't for quite a few years so I decided to replace the electrolytic caps in the woofer crossover. Using Erse 3% df (low esr) I substituted the existing 880uF cap in the 2 ohm xo with 4x 220uF in parallel, and I replaced the 265uF and 285uF caps in the 4 ohm xo each with 3x Erse caps in parallel to obtain the correct value.

This upgrade has transformed the bass into new territory. There's now some real dynamic slam and authority. These speakers were never this good when new so I can highly recommend the upgrade to all ren owners.
Please e-mail me if you want further details - daveidm@tpg.com.au.

Submitted by Blackbeard Ben a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2010

Bottom Line:
Pros: Superb imaging and soundstage. Smooth and sweet yet extremely detailed highs and mids; tightest bass I've ever heard. Cabinets are rock solid.

Cons - Hard to drive - an Adcom GFA-555 alone put out almost no bass. Bi-amped with the Adcom on bottom and a Carver TFM-15CB on top it's great. The gain control on the Carver is essential as it lets you control the balance between the EMIT/EMIM/mid-bass coupler and the Watkins woofer.

These are a fantastic pair of speakers, easily the best I've ever heard. Compared to the Kappa 8s I had first, these are better in every respect except the difficulty of driving the 10" Watkins (dual voice coil) woofer. Excluding my review, there's 33 unanimous 5-star reviews - and it's entirely justified IMO. I drove from Michigan to Virginia to pick these up, and it was worth every bit of the 1200 mile drive.

The bass output isn't overwhelming like on many other speakers - it's tightly controlled and perfect in quantity for every genre of music. The gain control on the Carver I use is essential as it lets you control the balance between the EMIT/EMIM/mid-bass coupler and the Watkins woofer. The bass extension is the best I've ever heard.

The new High Energy EMIT and EMIM drivers are spectacular. This is my first speaker with an EMIM midrange, but the new EMIT is definitely better than the older Kappa and RS series ones. It's sweeter yet more detailed - an extremely difficult feat. I honestly can't imagine a speaker with better highs. The EMIM is really the star of the show though - I can't believe how much better it is than the Polydomes on my Kappa 8s and older RS 5s. All of the excellent properties of the EMIT are carried down to the EMIM. Vocals, horns, guitars - everything - sound spectacular. The EMIM is so transparent that on a good recording I feel like I'm in the studio and the musicians are playing in front of me - but not too close. The sense of depth is excellent - something I've never experienced before.

The best thing I can say about the mid-bass coupler is that it is entirely unobtrusive. I never even notice it, it is so well integrated with the EMIM and woofer. The lower midrange and upper bass is full and "right" sounding, never overwhelming. The only time it ever sticks out is with recent poorly recorded albums that have a mid-bass hump to make it seem as if there is more bass on cheap speakers. That's not a fault of the speaker though - just a result of the poor mastering that is demanded by users of iPod earbuds and laptop speakers.

The footprint of the speakers is nice, too. They're quite small, accentuated by the trapezoidal shape. They look awesome - the wood grain is rich even on my matte black speakers. The built quality far exceeds my Kappa 8s - these are solid speakers. The binding posts are solid metal, unlike the plastic-capped posts on every other speaker I've seen. Unfortunately the grille frames broke on mine, but that was under the auspices of the previous owner. The rubber surrounds are great as they're still supple almost 20 years later, but the foam in the rear EMIM diffuser is deteriorating as happens to all of these.

As I said before, these are easily the best speakers I've ever heard. The Kappa 8s are good too, but these are just on another level. The imaging is spectacular - and I don't even have a good room for setting these up. In a big room with lots of space behind and around them I know they will be even better. Same thing goes for the amps - I don't have the money for a Krell or Levinson or McIntosh, but the Carver and Adcom together do an excellent job of powering them. I highly recommended them for amping the Renaissance 90s on a budget, but I'd love to hear a truly high-end amp powering them.