Infinity Systems Primus 250 Floorstanding Speakers

3.36/5 (11 Reviews) MSRP : $229.00

• video-shielded
  • 2-way, bass-reflex design
  • frequency response 49-22,000 Hz (ñ3dB)
  • 8-ohm impedance
  • sensitivity 92 dB
  • handles up to 150 watts
  • black wood grain vinyl finish
  • 5-way binding posts
  • 7-3/8"W x 35-1/2"H x 11-3/4"D

Submitted by erik60 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2012

Bottom Line:
ik kocht deze speakers van ebay nieuw voor 170 euro en ben er heel blij mee , de kritiek dat de lage tonen onvoldoende zijn moet tegen spreken , met een goede versterker spelen ze fantastisch ik gebruik een oude warme marantz 1040 en de hoge tonen stampen door de grond ook heel mooie hoge tonen mischien mocht dat iets meer maar met een equalizer moet er meer uit te halen zijn

Submitted by peceps a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2010

Bottom Line:
I bought Infinity Primus II 250 made for European market less than one week ago, and I can say that I am impressed!
The midrange are smooth, somewhat recessed which makes this speaker enjoyable for long listening.
The highs are also good, but it can use a little boost there.
I read many reviews that this speakers are little bass-shy, but I strongly disagree. In a small-medium room this speakers have more than enough bass. I've measured the bass response and it goes flat to 50Hz and then starts dropping fast, and after 30Hz there isn't any response.
The high range are audible even at 20000Hz. From listening to sine wave fro from 60Hz to 20000hz the whole frequency response seems ruler flat to me, even better than my Sennheiser headphone which were my reference for full range flat sound.
As for the build quality, the drivers are very good and expensive, no doubt there. The box it is pretty good, but not like those on more expensive speakers.
The same goes for the crossover which is calculated to perfection, but with mid-low end parts, which can have consequences when listening on high volume(not that I've head any), or when the speakers get old.
The dumping material can also be better. As for the wood it is pretty thick 19mm I think, 16 kg each.

Associated equipment:
Source from PC (flac) to Denon AVR1700 via digital link.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by craigwcg287 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2009

Bottom Line:
I bought a pair of Infinity Primus 250 speakers, and I ran an 80 watt per channel amplifier into them. When I turn the volume up, I blew a tweeter in one of my speakers. After I replaced that tweeter, I ran some test on my Infinity Primus 250 speakers to find why I blew the tweeter with some test equipments, and then I have found out the AC ohmage (Impedance) on my Infinity Primus 250 speakers drop from 8 ohms to 3 ohms from 5000 Hz to 20000 Hz. When I turn the volume up, these speakers have too much treble sound that is caused by the low impedance in the upper audio frequency range, and that's how I blew out the tweeter. The treble sound from my Infinity Primus 250 speakers is so high it drowns out the bass. I had to turn treble control down to -8 db in order to get these speaker treble sound to optimun level when I turn the volume up, and I did not blowout anymore tweeters since then. These speakers have good bass and treble as long as you keep the treble control turned down whenever you crank up the volume. If you buy these speakers, and you're planning on turning the volume up; turn the treble down, or else you would blowout the tweeter.

Submitted by Flabio a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2006

Bottom Line:
Like the middle child, I suspect the Primus 250 is sort of the forgotten model of the line, but it shouldn't be. People often discount the importance of speaker placement and the size of the listening room when evaluating speakers, and I'm no exception. I first set these up in my large listening room, and was quite underwhelmed by them. They couldn't put out enough bass to satisfy me and they seemed to have a overall dark tonal characteristic. I was able to help them a little with some tone adjustments, but I wasn't happy. So I decided to try these guys in my master bedroom, and wow what a difference! Gone was the dark tone and the lackluster bass. The top end opened up and the mid-range sounded right, and there was plenty of bass even with the tone controls bypassed (flat). To sum it up these are great speakers for a small to medium sized room, with no real weaknesses unless you are total bass freak. I'm sure these speakers are reaching down into the 40s hz range, but you can't expect miracles from two 5.25" woofers. These seem to be going for around 300 a pair which is a great price, and anything less is an absolute steal. One last thing, for some reason even badly recorded 80s pop music sounds good on these guys, which is a plus when consider how much badly recorded music there out there.

Purchased At:   Frys

Submitted by Madayan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2006

Bottom Line:
These speakers do not sound half as bad as a review below suggests. In fact these are pretty decent sounding speakers. I brought them home to compare them head to head with my Tannoy MX2-M speakers (very well respected in the $300-$400 /pair range). My amp is a modestly powered NAD 705 receiver (40 w/channel). Compared to the Tannoys, these speakers sound bigger and have better bass extension- obviously expected - but don't have their resolution and transparancy. Also the Tannoy's are smoother sounding.

This is my first impression of these speakers (just got them home this afternoon to test and did an A/B test) and I am sure they will only sound better over time. Can't say whether these are the best sounding speakers in the $300-400 /pair range - a lot depends on personal taste of course. But they definitely performed better than I expected - my previous experiences auditioning speakers from mass consumer stores have been terrible (excepting the Athena AS-B1 from Best Buy - they have gotten good reviews everywhere).

Purchased At:   CC