Infinity Systems MTS Floorstanding Speakers

Infinity's flagship

Submitted by GoldEar a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
When searching to replace my KEF107's, I brought B&W 801 Nautalis, Dynaudio, Martin Logan, Avalon, Sonas Farber Amati Homage,and Infinity MTS Prelude into my home over a period of time for audition. The Inifity MTS Preslude and Sonus Farber made my short list. Both were the best of the bunch in producing accurate music that truly sounds natural, not electronic, etched, or vieled. I chose the Infinity beacause of the flexablility it afforded in room placement, e.g. base can be adjusted via RABOS to allow close proximity to wall, its superior dynamics, and reasonable price given the world class sound that it is capable of producing. I have added a center channel and use the Preludes for both critical two channel stereo listening and as a home theater 'pass through' via my two channel stereo electronics for home theater use. I discoverd that the degree of fidelity that can be realized out of the Preludes improves in direct proportion with the quality of electronics and cables in the sound chain. The speakers require the very best in electronics to realize their full potential. As an example, you will hear differneces in sound by using different high end power cords on your electronic equipment. A recent upgarde from Mark Levinson equipment to Goldmund equipment has resulted in a further improvement in sound to the point where some recordings sound no different than hearing a live accoustic performance without electronic amplification. As an added bonus, they are visually stunning.

Purchased At:   Dealer Demo

Submitted by Jim a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2001

Bottom Line:
I recently finished a new music room complete with acoustic treatments and bought these on the strength of the review in Stereophile. After setting them up, I was somewhat underwhelmed. I was hearing details that I'd never heard before but there where no goosebumps. After several lengthy placement and evaluation sessions, I think I've gotten it right. All I can say now is WOW! These speakers excel in everything.
Instruments sound life sized and are presented as a coherent sound field. Sound sources seem to emanate from between, behind and beyond the speakers. As a matter of fact, nothing seems to come from the speakers themselves unless it was recorded that way. They are extremely detailed without sounding etched or hard. Percussive sounds that once sounded like subtle ticks now have a realism that I never realized could be captured. At the same time, wooden instruments are free of any metallic sheen. On top of that, dynamics are as unlimited as any speaker I've ever heard. I don't think there is any genre of music these can't handle.
As I mentioned before, to reach their true potential, placement is extremely important. Depending on preference, they can range from thick and creamy to razor sharp. I've been an audio enthusiast/audiophile for 25 years and these speakers have redefined my expectations.

Submitted by Alex a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2001

Bottom Line:
Stellar. These are the best, had to run out and get the MTS center as well. Had early fit issue (tower to the sub) resolved by boring out one of the plastic sleeves in the sub by about 2 millimeters. Infinity sent a new grill cover as one had a slight fray (I mean really slight, only a really anal person would notice). The RABOS system customizes these to whatever room they are in, they sound awesome!!! The base is tight and clean, the highs are crisp and clear. I hope you sold your dot com before it tanked.

Purchased At:   Ultimate

Submitted by Frank Lambert a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
Wow!...now here's a product that makes sense for double dubty on music and movie applications!
I've spent years playing with mid-fi to nuts expensive audio/video gear. And in an application where you need the ultra refinement of high end stash at your disposal, to perform double dubty for both your HT jolt and your music experiences, you need look no further!
As stated, I've owned some rather expensive speakers for my high end rig in the past. But most of these have stayed in my dedicated 2 channel system. Reason being, all this stuff is usually way to polite and laid back sounding for HT!!!...definitely not involving when it came time to make my audiophile grade speakers sing for movie sound tracks.
These work!...definitely fills the bill for my audiophile needs and home theater thrills! The combination of ultra hi-end res and clarity, mated with the strong hard hitting dynamics you'd expect from the very best powered THX systems, is an absolute winner.
I'll be short with this...fit and finish is first rate, and the sound is world class for any application!
If you've never had a chance to hear these with the right equipment and set-up,you don't know what your missing!...refined, involving, and a thrill to boot. Not the most laid back system ever made. But then if that was the case, it would put you to sleep durring the movie! Definitely deserved of the Stereophile class A designation in the Stereophile rag!!!
Why spend a few grand on some audiophile speakers and a $2k+ sub? When for a tick more, you can get 800watts plus a side plus stunningly well integrated monitors to go with em, that will perfom top nothch with both music and movies in one world class package!... Definite must buy if you got the cash and the itch to move up in the world. Well done Infinity!

Purchased At:   Pacific Coast AV

Submitted by Mike a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2000

Bottom Line:
In my opinion I think the MTS Preludes are the best that Infinity has ever came out with. If you ever get the chance, go out and have a listen and I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

Purchased At:   Ultimate