Infinity Systems L-MPS Floorstanding Speakers

2.78/5 (9 Reviews)

Satellite Speakers

Submitted by Mick a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2001

Bottom Line:
I got the theatre five-pack of speakers for $239CN plus tax. I was expecting little or no bass, and that was what I got, though a small sub solved that problem, but what really surprised me was the absence of any real treble. Movies on DVD just sounded muffled, though it wasn't too bad on music, oddly enough, even if it failed to excite me much. I gave them two weeks of trial, changing positions on walls, types of cables, and fiddling with tone controls on the receiver (a Harmon AVR110) and then gave up and took them back. I replaced them with my old full range hifi speakers as fronts (Infinity Reference 30's), two Infinity US-1s for surrounds, and an Infinity CC-3 for the centre. Now the system sounds great, with clarity, crispness and dynamics. Maybe I was unlucky, or had unrealistic expectations of such small, cheap speakers, but I just couldn't manage with them. I would advise caution unless you have listened to them carefully first or can take them back.

Purchased At:   Digital Satellite and Source, Bolton

Submitted by Jim a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought these on UBid like so many of you, wowed by the bargain price. (By the way, beware of the shipping costs from UBid, they rape you. My 4 speakers cost $45 to ship!)
I had no intentions for these speakers other that having something pretty nice to put whereever I wanted them. Then I remembered, a friend of mine had the MPS surround system. I'd heard the system in action and thought it sounded great, so we decided to test the speakers side by side. We connected two of his MPS and 2 of my L-MPS to a speaker switching box and fired up the tunes. The L-MPS won hands down. We both agreed that these cheap boxes were superior to the ones he payed full list for. Now, he's going to buy some L-MPS to upgrade his system. Just for fun, we asked our wives for their opinions (not that it mattered!) and they both thought the L-MPS was better also. I'm shopping for a home theater speaker system and now am seriously considering using these as my surrounds if I can just find a good center and sub. I had decided to buy the Paradigm Cinema System after listening to the Infinity HTS-20, the Boston Micro 8000 and the Klipsch Quintet, but I may just use my L-MPS.

Purchased At:   UBid

Submitted by John a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2000

Bottom Line:
I just bought two pairs of these from ubid.com for $19 each. I can not believe how such a big sound can come from such a small speaker. I live here in a moderate sized dorm room at Johns Hopkins, and I was looking for good qualiy at an inexpensive price. This is it. Only problem is you need a sub. I have a 160w 10inch, and it works great with the four minuetes and a infinity video-1. If you want power and more dynamic range, go with the Infinity R4's. Overall, it is a very good product for the price.

Purchased At:   ubid.com

Submitted by Ryan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have a CC-3 which is wonderful speaker made by Infinity. I bought a pair of L-MPS off UBid, even though I had never heard a pair. I was extremely disappointed with them, but I thought they might sound better after a while. They didn't. The sound lacks definition, clarity, depth, and just about everything else you want in a speaker. It doesn't produce any lows (I think they were marked at 80Hz, but they don't do ANYTHING near that) They distort when I'm playing music through them. I really think my $10 computer speakers perform as well. But, the do look nice...

Submitted by James Pipes a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought these at Circuit City to match a Sony 825 reciever for DD. The reveiver broke and so did the Proscan DVD player and the speakers sounded like crap. I replaced the Sony with a Yamaha RX V2095 at The Good Guy's and they still sounded crappy. Oh well I guess I got what I payed for. Boston CR6 sound a lot better!!!! They don't handle power too well either. Will probably sell all 5 and get more Boston's.