Infinity Systems Kappa 9 Floorstanding Speakers

4.5/5 (24 Reviews) MSRP : $3400.00

5 way loudspeaker.

Submitted by Lecentaur a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2012

Bottom Line:
These are indeed extraordinary speakers. I bought them about 5 years ago and had to negociate with my wife to install them in our living :).

They are power hungry and I learned that by burning a beautifull Marantz amp. They are now each driven by STUDER A68 Studio amps. As preamp I am using Revox C279. Sound source is a Marantz CDA-94 hooked to a SONY juke box with optical output.

How can I disturb the sound better than the other reviews ? These speakers are not trying to tweak physics like some small speakers pretending to do it all. The very choice of not having an internal casing volume means that they are not recuperating the woofer's energy behind the front membrane (no bass reflex). This of course obliges the implementation of two woofers. Two woofers mean power hungry speakers that will drain amps for driving two wooders actively to deliver the promper responser.

The immediate advantage is a clean actively driven bass, not a partly recuperated bass through a bass reflex process. The remaining frequencies are also well reproduced with excellent mid ranges and the best tweaters being riboon tweates. Here again these tweaters are very delicate to clipping, another reason not to run these speakers on cheap amps.

Evan the shape of these speakers are designed to give a pleasant self resonance pattern. If you look, they do not have 90° angles, or very little of them. This ensures a colorfull and agreable sound from the box as obviously it is foolish to think that one can isolate these woofers from making the casing resonate. The people who have designed this monster were very wise with their philosophy and the result is here for us to engoy.

I would appreciate if anyone can tell me about the base modification for these speakers as I must admit it would be the only part which was not well finished. I have installed 4 adjustable pins which do a good job at lower power to isolate the speakers but at high output there clearly is a noise coming from this area. I read some reviews explaining of heavy feet, I was thinking of manufacturing a base filled in with sand and installing the speakers on these base.

Fully recommended,these speakers will gain value over time to become collector items. To illustrate this let me share this: the person selling the two A68s was trying to buy them from me and I only got rid of him by explaining that I was buying these amps for these speakers and it did not make sense to sell these speakers :)

Submitted by tomason a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2011

Bottom Line:
I fell in love with these babies after my first listening session and purchased a pair brand new.Now 25 years later I own 2 sets.I keep them in pristine condition by using wood preservative once a year and using a special rubber preservative on the polydomes.Ive owned dozens of speakers and nothing quite does it for me like the kappa 9's.They always ran out of gas until I purchased the mcintosh mc1000 monoblocks.Incredibly ,these speakers will bury the meters at 4000 watt peaks on the 2 ohm posts. I have never damaged a driver in 25 years of hard listening and think most people hurt the drivers by clipping the amp.Nothing I've heard raises the hairs on the back of my head like these.You can find a set of used mc1000's on audiogon between 5K and 7K and it is worth every penny.

Submitted by David Sparks a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2011

Bottom Line:
What can I say. I somehow talked my dad into buying these for me back in 1987. I don't know any other high school freshman that had more than a sony walkman. It was between these and a Polk Audio speaker that looked like a refrigerator box and had 12-16 speakers in it. While they looked impressive, they could not even come close to matching the Kappa 9's in audio performance.
They do need quite a bit of power - the early Carver amp that I had could not keep up. That meant blowing even more money at Magnolia Hi-Fi on the biggest Adcom amp that they had. I have had no issues since, even running at very high power levels.
I have had the woofers replaced and need to do it again, but thanks to a nice subwoofer I have been lax about that.
I don't have anything bad to say about the speakers other than durability. But compared to what I would have to spend on my other favorites, Vienna Accoustics, I can have these fixed numerous times and still save money!

Submitted by Kappa9Fan a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2010

Bottom Line:
As others have said nothing I have heard at anywhere near the realistic price compares to these speakers.

The drawbacks are as was said the eat power, blow fuses and are a headache to drive with amps most people own. Hafler 500s bi-amped handle the job beautifully and even one 500 will get the job done.

The other and bigger problem is the poor support by Infinnity who no longer really exists. Woofers go way too fast. Mid ranges crack and die and no true replacement is available.

If you can put up with these problems it is difficult to find speakers that sound better. Now on my 3 replacement of the drivers and searching for a good poly dome replacement, I remain hopeful that I can continue to listen to the amazing sound they produce.

5 stars plus for sound

4 stars because of reliability and repair issues.

Submitted by Jim Tuttle a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2010

Bottom Line:
12-25-2010,

I just got my Christmas present 2 days ago, and all I can say is WOW! I found these speakers in an obscure pawn shop in Carrollton Texas. They sat there for about a year collecting dust. I knew what they were from a audio shop that I bought my first set of " what I call my first set of good speakers" back in 1978. By the way the shop was called Audio Labs of Des Moines Iowa. The guy's name was Lewis that helped me with my purchase. Looking back now I'm sure he must have been gay. ( The only reason I'm Putting this in this review is if for some reason you read this Lewis, Jim never forgot you. Merry Christmas!) A pair of B n W DM 220's. I thought at the time I made a great choice. ( And I did for the money ) I looked at the Infinity's, But way out of my price range for the day. By the way, BnW's, Never a bad choice, They rocked !

Now that I'm looking at these magnificent speakers setting right next to me, all I can say is, awesome ! I'm not sure if it's just the size of these things, or the amount of driver's, the crossovers, or what, maybe the fact that they are handmade and tested like a fine automobile. But these have to be one of the best pair of speakers made. The sound, even at low levels is beautiful. I was lucky enough to get a pair in mint condition. All I can say is I feel sorry for the guy that had to give these up.

Now. The down side. Better get ready to shell out some $ on an amp, or 2, or 3, because like all the other reviews you have read. In order to make these things sing, you are going to need some juice ! I just hooked them up to "4" Hafler 220 amps. As you can guess, I am now a true AudioPhile.

Time to really kill you. Want to know what I paid for these babies after a year of sitting in a pawnshop ? $1000.00, $600.00, $499.00, $299.00 ? How about $ 90.00 for the pair ! God Loves Me !
Merry Christmas to all, and God Bless !

Having listened to these. I would have paid a $1000.00 at a pawnshop for them !

Recommendations for power Infinity Kappa 9's pease

I own a pair of Infinity Kappa 9's that I am trying to find power for. Owners Manual Specs: Nominal Impedance: 4 to 6 ohm (recommends amps that can go lower) Power Rating: 60-340 watts RMS Efficiency: 102 dB SPL @1 watt, 1 meter Crossover Frequencies: 80Hz, 800Hz, 4500Hz Frequency Response: 29 ... Read More »

amp. for kappa 9.2i .please.

i have the kappas 9.2i and i drivet hem with bryston 7b-st (2 x mono) and they can't driva the bass. the pre is ML. No28 and doesn't have corections. please advise me with amplifires that can drive the kapass bass!:confused5:Read More »

Kappa 9 vs ACR RP300

Hello dear audiofreaks around the globe I have a question to the people who know these ACR RP300 speakers. I currently have the Infinity kappa 9 [yes the original ampkillers] I have them for a couple of years now and still the are magnifico..But now i can trade them against the ACR RP300 speake ... Read More »

Infinity RS 9 Kappa Crossover Trouble

I need some technical assistance please regarding the crossover network of the Infinity Reference Standard 9 Kappa loudspeaker, manufactured in 1989. One unit's rear Emit tweeter isn't working. I tested the tweeter and its working fine, so the problem must be caused by a fault in the crossover net ... Read More »