Infinity Systems Kappa 8.1 Floorstanding Speakers

4.67/5 (18 Reviews)

Submitted by Yngve Grønseth a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2013

Bottom Line:
I bought my Kappa 8.2i series2, for 6000norwegian kroner, a couple of weeks ago. The speakers have not been used the last ten years, and is in top condition. I used a pair of Kef Q65.2 up to now, and must say that the Kappas sound so much better. I now use a Onkyo ts sx 875, in bi amp setup, and the sound is so good. The Kappas is powerhungry, so i have to ad a power amp with hi current, to boost the bass, may bee two?. I dont like to adjust the sound with any sort of eq, and now i have to ad some bass to get the sound i like. The Kappas sound so krystal clear and open, and the bass is punchy in the upper and deep in the lower end. I listen to different kinds of music, and i think the Kappas is good alrounders. They are great in surround setup,where the 12inc woofers makes good effect. I have the ported Euro modell. So happy i now own the 8.2 Kappa.

Submitted by Power2Spare a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2010

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Kappa 8. Fantastic speaker. Tremendous sound-stage, incredible low end, smooth, natural highs. You must feed these with more than 300 wpc though. Anything less and you're not getting what they're capable of. They are huge but look gorgeous in their Scandinavian Oak cabinets. These things would easily cost more than 10k nowadays. Puts most high end speakers to shame.

Strengths:
Sound-stage, low end bass, natural highs, furniture grade cabinets

Weaknesses
Extremely power hungry

Submitted by SleeperSupra a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2009

Bottom Line:
The more I listen the more I really love these speakers!!! The best bang for the buck out there. The Kappa 8.2i Series II has it all in spades. High end sparkle from the excellent Kappa-R tweeters, coherent and life like mids from the Polydome midrange drivers, fast articulate midbass snap from the 6" Injection Molded Graphite driver, and great deep yet fast sounding lows from the 12" IMG woofer.

Just as good through the midrange as Thiel CS2's yet much better lows and highs. Sounds like Quads or Martin Logans with much better dynamics.

These speakers are VERY power hungry. You really need around 350 watts per channel of good clean high current power for the speakers to open up and sound their best. This is a VERY honest and revealing speaker so the best possible equipment in the signal chain is a must. Bad recording will end up in your car and good ones will sound amazing!!!

With the right equipment this speaker will rival ANY new speaker on the market under $5,000.00

Submitted by Archie Henderson a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2006

Bottom Line:
Where do I start? I've owned the 8.1's for almost 13 yrs. I have never thought of replacing or upgrading them. These speakers give me everything I want. Soundstage, Depth, Spacing, etc....
You won't find these for sale too often because thay are keepers! If you do find a pair for sale and are in good shape I can highly recommend them.
The music I listen to is a wide variety, pop, rock, blues, easy listening, folk and the Kappa's play them all in spades. You will need to have a amplifier(s) with high current and at least 100 watts to enjoy the low level detail. You can also crank it up with these speakers. I've owned and had the following amps over the years hooked up to the Kappa's. Yamaha MX1, Adcom 555II, Adcom 5800, Adcom 5500, Adcom 5802, Anthem Amp1, Aragon 8008BB, Musical Fidelity M250's and my favorite for over a year is the PS Audio HCA-2 ! I have found my audio nirvana ! Mated with a VTL TL 2.5 tube preamp amp and Audio Alchemy DDE V1.1 DAC. The HCA-2 (150 watts per channel) drives the Kappa's with ease.

Purchased At:   Infinity Dealer

Submitted by muziekfreak a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2005

Bottom Line:
Dear audiofriends

I have the kappa 8.2i since a few days now. I was stunned of this newer kappa series. A little year back [see review on this site] i had the kappa 9 [the old classic]the flat one..these speakers are truly a piece of art. I'm as you can understand not a stranger with the kappa sound. But the series 2 my god what a bassrepsons!

I have the european model [this means basreflex on the back] The american version is closed. THis is a little weakness with the 8.2i i'ts a little to much bass for a smaller room,but easy to solve tho use a bundle of straws,yes those things you drink your coke with. And filled it up.

This changes the flow of the reflex and a more better/smoother low region preformance you get.

Everything is perfect..the do'nt need as much power as the classic kappa series [the 9 dips @33hz 0,8ohm!] that was a pure ampkiller the 9 this one can be driven with little less expensive amps,i use the vincent sp991 monaural 100w class A amps so power is not a issue in my setup.

I bought these in mint condition k8.2i for a real LOW price 500euro!!

Purchased At:   Belgium