Infinity Systems Compositions overture 3 Floorstanding Speakers

4.52/5 (96 Reviews) MSRP : $2800.00

Submitted by Garage Rat a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2013

Bottom Line:
Years later....These O3's still rock. Looking for another set for an older reciever which is coming back into service again once I can locate a pair. I have not found a better speaker for the price anywhere. If I can find them cheap it's a steal. They were worth the $2800MSRP back then and still are even though I didn't pay that. Definitive towers are 1k+ each and not in this speakers ballpark and I like those towers minus the cheesy cloth wrap on them. Who thought that up? PSB has a tower pair but they also will set you back well over 2K. You can compare these to anything in the price rangee and they are still superior. That is why Infinity grew such a wide cult base before Harmon bought them and pretty much ruined the name. The pair I have now are still in mint condition. The sound is bright and crisp. I have a powered 12" sub but if I want these have a bass dial on front and if you also move them closer to the wall they will give you too much bass with a subwoofer having 4 of their own.. Plenty of options for these as amps can turn on and off the sub also depending on what you are listening to. Flexible and 300W amp per speaker...I'm not sure what more one could want. An Audiophiles dream to tweak the mains as much as this. If you can find the Infinity center to match these which also has it's own tweaking dials to her, jump all over it. Solidly built and if you run the wires through the built in channel on the bottom they have there conveniently for all, there won't be any tangled wires. ;-) Setting up an 11.1 system with The Sub, Center, and Fronts set. Klipsch RS62II match up superbly in the rear so looks like Klipsch RS series will round out the rest nicely with their horn technology.

Submitted by gutnick a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
These are excellent speakers. They look beautiful on hardwood floors. They sound terrific for movies and all types of music. They don't take up alot of space, and they are an excellent value.

Purchased At:   Anderson's

Submitted by Woon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
The clarity of the sound, especially mid to high tone, is simply amazing. Together with the fact they are very directional, they produce a very accurate image. To this end, I like to compliment the engineers at Infinity for not compromising. I have yet to listen to a pair of speakers that achieves this quality better. Of course, the drawback of this kind of speakers is that they give you a burden: you have to experiment with the positions of the speakers and the listener. The sweet spot is very narrow, so that sometimes you have to sit or stand very awkwardly to be in "the zone". You move one foot away from that sweet spot, the focus deteriorates. I do not mind this, but for some people, it can be a hassel. Fortunately, those of you who like ambience can use DSP of AV receivers. I have a Yamaha RX2090 and some of its DSP fields are very ambient with surround speakers (front and rear).
I cannot really comment on the bass performance, though. I thought it was pretty good when I listened to them in an electronics store, but after I installed them in my apartment, the resonance completely ruined the bass. So I wouldn't know its true bass capability until I move to a bigger, spacious house. To those who live in a confined space, I do not recommend this speaker because of the reason mentioned above. But it is not Overture3's fault. So I give 5 stars.

Purchased At:   mail order

Submitted by carl stewart a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
Excellent speakers so far. I havn't had achance to test them
in a wide variety of situations yet.
the best part about these speakers to me was the price
$300.00 . I talked the manager down from $179.00 each.

Purchased At:   circuit city

Submitted by Ben Vlot a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
I use a Rotel RC 995 preamp with a Cambridge A75 poweramp. The IO3's behave very well using all types of music (if recorded well enough in the studio). What immediately struck me was the level of detail offered. The response and speed of the speaker units is really superb. The bass is really clean, sometimes al little empty. I think this is caused by the bass amplifier. The small bass drivers in conjuction with the lowamp are not able to deliver the same response of the mids although they produce the needed DB pressure. But that is not the same of course.
The speakers plastic feet are not really a firm support. I unscrewed one foot and discoverd that the cables where squeezed between the wood and the plastic foot while assembling. I mounted them in the correct place and this improved the support. Cabling of the IO3's could be better by the way. I will improve this later after my period of guarantee. Anyway on the whole it is an interesting speaker capable of delivering an attractive sound, never dull or boring. It is one of the first speaker systems I have to which every visitor reacts, both by design and soundreproduction. If you like it, buy it.

Purchased At:   Correct