Infinity Systems Alpha 40 Floorstanding Speakers

4.33/5 (3 Reviews) MSRP : $588.00

• video-shielded
  • bass-reflex
  • frequency response 45-22,000 Hz (±3dB)
  • 8-ohm impedance
  • sensitivity 91 dB
  • handles up to 150 watts
  • black ash or cherry vinyl finish
  • dual 5-way binding posts
  • 8-3/4"W x 35-7/16"H x 12-15/16"D

Submitted by BILL TSO a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2006

Bottom Line:
I have been using Infinity Alpha 40 for more than four years. The high range is very clear. When playing vilolin, the smoothness and the details of the sound from the instructment are very distinctive. The midrange for the vocal is quite realistic, especially when playing some monologues. The bass , however, lacks some responses. It is not quite flexible or too tight.The crossover can divide the high, middle and low frequency fairly well.The Alpha 40 can be bridgable with two amplifies at the same time.Overall, the alpha 40 performs well.

Purchased At:   Toronto

Submitted by Tj Rubley a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2003

Bottom Line:
I recently upgraded to a NAD integrated amplifier and my old bookshelf speakers immediately showed their age and it was time for replacements. I headed out to purchase a pair of Paridigms as every time I've listed to them, I've left very impressed. But when I went to listen, I made the distinct error of listening to tower speakers rather than the bookshelf models and it was clear there was no going back. It was also clear, I couldn't afford the $1k+ pricetag either!

Then I stumbled onto these Alphas and while I have no doubt they're not as perfect as the Paridigms, I don't feel they're half the speaker considering the price. On the contrary, I'd say 90% as good.

Clearly this isn't the review of an audiophile, however these are the finest speakers I've owned. The cabnites are beautiful, sound is very clear, and I like the bright highs -- I've always liked infinity's for this reason.

I've since had many friends over just to listen to the new speakers and everyone leaves impressed, especially considering the price.

So if you're on a budget and have a clean power source, I wouldn't hesitate.

dc

Submitted by netman8762 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2003

Bottom Line:
The Infinity speaker gets alot of slack, I guess because they sell them at Circuit City. This speaker deserves a chance. I have tried previous lines from Infinity and was not very impressed, this Alpha though has turned my thinking. You have to put into perspective that this pair cost $400 and you end up listening and saying "That sounds pretty good!". I will not say that they compare to speakers that cost 5 times more but they do have a very pleasant sound. They are not abrassive, maybe a little harsh, and they do have decent bass. I think that if you are in the market for a speaker around the $500 mark then you owe it to yourself to check these out. Also they are setup for Bi wiring and you need to do it. Spend the money on a decent set of cables for the front and you won't regret it. Remeber also the old addage "GIGO". If you use a $500 Sony recevier then you are going to get $500 Sony sound. Try them with a Harmon Kardon, Onkyo or Yamahe with isolated power and you will hear the difference. It is like comparing AM Radio to CD.

Purchased At:   Ebay

infinity alpha 40 vs Polk rt-18

They are around the same price here in Canada, any opinions? Looking to upgrade from Energy xl-25'sRead More »